Considering a TEFL Certification This Semester

I may be a licensed certified teacher from Canada, I am fortunate to have a
job here in Taiwan even in the midst of the pandemic that caused havoc
around the world (but not here in Taiwan).

Because of the more tougher and more expensive travel restrictions entering
Canada, I definately plan to renew my contract for September 2021. But that
is if my school gives the final word on that. The worst thing that could happen
is that my school could say no, and I would be out of a job by this summer.

Before all this happens, I am considering doing something that will increase
my qualifications as an international teacher. I don’t want to go back to Canada
because of they way things are going there now, but just in case I should have
to leave Taiwan for good, this credential will allow me to step my foot into
more open doors. That’s having a TEFL certification.

I have seen ads for TEFL certification courses that are as cheap as US$100 to
$400. But I also have the option to do an online TEFL course through the
University of Toronto for as much as US$800 to $900, 120 hours. I figure that
I should do this because just in case I should lose my chance to renew my contract
here in Taiwan, the TEFL certification would help get me a job teaching in
another country such as Thailand. So do you think it’s better for me to spend
US$900 for an online 120-hour TEFL certification course, or US$400?

There are also opportunities for me to teach EFL online, not just part time
but full time. If I obtained a TEFL certificate, I could get an online teaching
position to work full time. However I don’t have to be here in Taiwan to
teach online full time when I could do that in Canada. It still doesn’t beat
working with my students in person, but because of how the pandemic has
changed the way we work teaching online has become an alternative job
trend, like what you see in other job sectors.

When I enroll in this online TEFL certification course, I can do this at my
own pace because they have no due dates set to finish the modules. I should
be able to complete this online 120-hour course within 4 to 8 weeks. As long
as my work does not take up too much of my time when planning my classes,
I will be fine. I am not teaching in the bilingual program this year like I did
last year so I don’t have to take my work home with me as much. That way
I can spend as much time in the evenings and on the weekends to do my
TEFL certification course.

Premiere TEFL has a Level 5 QUALCOM accredited certificate for around $400 which they claim is equivalent to a CELTA, which is as good as you can get. It’s a legitimate qualification for jobs in the UK, but since Taiwan doesn’t recognize any accreditation one is about as good as another. They have a simpler one for less than $150. If you’ve got a year of experience and are a qualified Canadian school teacher, you don’t need anything more than that. Having a TEFL certificate won’t raise your job prospects much, and it won’t get you a bigger salary.

Someone told me I could get TESOL/TEFL online for 10 dollars… know anything about that?

That sounds like something I wouldn’t go for.

Just suppose I want to apply for a teaching position in Thailand, and they say I need a TEFL to get my foot further into the door? Or perhaps other places like Qatar or Kuwait?
Here in Taiwan they don’t recognize any accreditation and you are right about that with regards to TEFL certification. I know other countries look at accreditation, such as South Korea, in fact in South Korea they want your TEFL certification to have at least 20 hours in person or practicum. But due to the COVID-19 pandemic they will have to change their requirements.
And you are right, having a TEFL will not raise my job prospects that much, (especially here in Taiwan, but my salary would still go up if I renew for the second year or have more experience). The TEFL is just a piece of paper, but just in case I lose my chance to renew my contract in Taiwan, what if that piece of paper gets me another opportunity in another country where I would love to live and work? There are even teaching jobs that I could do online on a full time basis, but they still require TEFL certification.

So my question is, will TEFL certification help me in any way, and will it overcome any sort of racist hiring practices?

Maybe, I didn’t realize you meant to use it outside Taiwan. I think if you’re already a licensed teacher getting a TEFL would be like getting an associate’s degree when you have a BA, but I don’t know any other country’s standards.

Getting a TEFL while having a teaching license is like getting an Associates Degree if you already have a B.A.? How can you make a comparison like that?

And as I said, other countries have their standards to require even a license certified
teacher to have a TEFL and you’re right about that. But don’t you think I should get a TEFL to get myself ready for a move just in case I should end up leaving Taiwan for good again?

If you’re a qualified teacher with experience, it’s a waste of money and time. If you want to improve your resume, take more ABQs, additional basic qualifications. This will allow you to teach more things. They’ll have an EFL or similar ones. You can take them through Canadian universities online. They aren’t cheap, but it’s the way to go

1 Like

AQ or ABQ courses are literally cheaper than the TEFL program at the University of Toronto. If I take an AQ, it would put me ahead, but just to get a teaching position in Canada especially at this time is the problem. So I am better off staying where I am now.

Not necessarily. ABQs are accepted by international schools in Taiwan. Mine are and have been

But just suppose I lose my chance to renew my contract or get a new contract in Taiwan, and I decide to teach in another country where a TEFL certification is required?

No one cares about tefl if you’re a qualified teacher from Canada which I also am.
Tefl is only for people who aren’t qualified IMO

Buddy, don’t jump on me when you’re asking for advice. It was an opinion and I said

If you know what to do so well go for it. Or listen to someone else:

There are no crystal balls here. Except this one:
Should @Kingdomparadise get a TEFL certificate
@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Don’t count on it

1 Like

There you go.

2 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

The British Council used to run a TEFL course for young learners. I think it was Trinity. Might be worth contacting them.

There was a time when job ads would say CELTA or Trinity specifically; these are the two industry leaders but you can only do the Trinity in Taiwan (no Taiwan CELTA, AFAIK).

I agree with @eCanada though that if you are qualified to teach in Canada you probably don’t need the TEFL qualification to set you apart, and that the ABQ/AQ is just as good (or better, since it pairs with Canadian qualifications) if you really want to upgrade your quals.

https://www.trinitycollege.com/local-trinity/taiwan

Out of all the years of experience I have, most of my teaching experience was teaching EFL in public schools in Korea, Taiwan, and one year in Japan as a license certified teacher from Canada. I only have 2 years of experience teaching in Canada until I returned to Taiwan.