Construction noise

Ah yes. Jackhammering starting at 8:30 am every day. Going on for weeks or even months. And when one neighbor finally finished, another neighbor starts.

Naruwan. Welcome to Taiwan.

2 Likes

Rent a jackhammer (just a hammer drill will do) and use it on a log or something in your place at all hours. Allow neighbours to report them for you.

1 Like

And the construction still didn’t stop.

One apartment being “refurbished” in the building on the other side of the street as I write this. I always wonder, how long the F can it take to tear a wall down or get rid of bathroom tiles? They never seem to be in a hurry…

1 Like

Often wondered that myself! I seen one guy painstaking and noisily taking down an interior red brick wall bit by bit with the favorite tool, took him a couple of hours when it looked like a few solid swings with a sledge hammer would have had it down in minutes.

1 Like

My old place I could see the writing on the wall early, but didn’t know what it meant at the time.

After clearing the field, they laid down rebar and concrete…had the breaking ground ceremony, then tore it all up to start construction.

What a waste of manpower and materials. Even if they needed the concrete floor to bring in all the suits, but rebar too?

The sound of a jackhammer on treads (dude in a seat) hitting rebar is unbelievable. The only option is to leave home when it’s happening.

There must be regulations regarding noise in your area.

Here is an example for Nantou:

南投縣政府公告(預告)

主 旨:擬公告修正南投縣(以下簡稱本縣)噪音管制區
內禁止從事妨害他人生活環境安寧行為之時
間、地區或場所。
依 據:噪音管制法第八條第四款。
公告事項:
一、於本縣各類噪音管制區內自夜間十時起至翌日上午七時
止,不得從事下列行為。但特殊情形經本府核定者,不
在此限:
(一)施放高空煙火及爆炸音類之一般爆竹煙火。但元旦、
春節、元宵節、清明節、端午節、中元節、中秋節、
國慶日、除夕及特殊民俗活動(如迎神繞境)等國
家慶典及民俗節慶,不予管制。
(二)使用擴音設施或敲鑼、打鼓及吹號從事神壇、廟會、
婚喪、殯葬及祭典等民俗活動。
(三)使用擴音設施從事夜市攤販及其他各類商業廣告行
為(含移動式宣導車輛)。
(四)使用動力機械(含臨時發電機設備)操作從事餐飲、
洗染或其他商業行為。
(五)使用吹葉機從事環境清理作業行為。但天然災害後
環境清理維護時,不予管制。
(六)經主管機關噪音檢(查)驗合格之車輛,不得有使用
未認證之排氣管致妨礙他人生活環境安寧之行為。
二、於本縣各類噪音管制區內自中午十二時起至下午二時止
及自夜間十時起至翌日上午六時止,不得從事下列行
為:
(一)於非屬工廠(場)、娛樂場所、營業場所及營建工程
之場所使用動力機械操作等方式,從事敲擊、鑽孔、
鋸切、釘合及打磨等或其它產生施工噪音之行為。
(二)非營業用卡拉OK 之使用。
三、於本縣各類噪音管制區內「學校(上課期間)、醫療機
構(不含小型診所)、文教區(美術館、博物館、社教
館、圖書館及文化中心等)周界五十公尺範圍內」,全
日不得從事下列行為:
(一)施放高空煙火及爆炸音類之一般爆竹煙火。
(二)使用擴音設施或敲鑼、打鼓及吹號從事神壇、廟
會、婚喪、殯葬及祭典等民俗活動。
(三)使用擴音設施從事夜市攤販及其他各類商業廣告
行為(含移動式宣導車輛)。
四、營建工程於本縣各類噪音管制區夜間十時至翌日上午八
時,例假日中午十二時至下午二時,不得使用動力機械
從事施工致妨礙安寧之行為。但屬下列情形者,不在此
限:
(一)緊急危難救助行為。
(二)有危及公共安全、污染環境及影響民生用水、用
電、用氣或通訊之搶救、搶修工程。
(三)經目的事業主管機關核准屬連續性或必要之工程。
五、違反本公告者,依噪音管制法第二十三條規定,處新臺
幣三千元以上三萬元以下罰鍰,並令其立即改善,如未
遵行者,按次處罰。

Any person who violates this Notice shall be punished in accordance with Article 23 of the Noise Control Law by a fine of not less than NT$3,000 and not more than NT$30,000.

To play devils advocate. Plumbing AND electrical are all inside the concrete walls. Smashing randomly, especially in shared housing buildings like apartments, is dangerous.

Otherwise its often job security or lack of skill/experience :wink:

Since my arrival in 2019, there have three apartment renovations in the building where I live, and they also demolished a building accross the street. When you contact the people in charge, they tell you it’ll be over next week, yet months later it’s still ongoing. I lived in Manhattan, half a lifetime ago, and it was an island of peace and quiet in comparison.

The noise has wrecked my mental and physical health and cost me a ton of money. The latter makes it, ironically, harder for me to move now, but I’ll have to anyway, and hope I can start earning money again quickly. Here, I can’t work at all. Give it a listen:

Anyone living on Jiankang rd will be having a hell of a time this year. They’ve demolished an entire three blocks of apartments. Which means digging very deep to remove foundations. I’m a mile away but it’s still noisy.

Shengbing rd

3 Likes