Container shipping to the USA

I have a friend who needs to ship her whole household back to the USA. I have searched and found some people mention shipping container companies, but there are no links. Does anyone have a link to a shipping company’s website or e-mail that I can pass on to my friend? Thanks!!

Hi Douglas,

I think it would be easier to contact a moving agent instead of a shipping company. With a Shipping company, you will have to arrange all the export documents, customs clearance, packing of container etc yourself.
I used a moving agent when relocating to Taiwan that i can recommend. Below is the contact details, (Speaks English),

Carrie Yang
Customer Service Representative
Santa Fe Relocation Services
Taiwan
Tel: (886) 22749-4420 ext.101
Fax: (886) 22749-4039, Mob: (886) 91888-0682
E-mail: carrie.yang@santaferelo.com.tw

I have also used Interdean, who co-ordinate the move for you, contact details as follows, (Even though i was not moving from the UK)

Qingqing Wang

Global Mobility Coordinator
Interdean London
INTERNATIONAL RELOCATION
T: +44 20 8961 4141
D: +44 208 963 2591
F: +44 208 963 1638
E: qingqing.wang@interdean.com

If you still require an actual shipping company, drop me a PM. I work at a shipping company, and can pass on some details to you.

thanks, I will pass on the information and see if that helps.

I took this advice and got a quote of around 190,000 - 215,000 NT for half a container from this company. And another moving company quoted around the same.
It would be cheaper to send everything via the post office in about 10-20 parcels.

Contacting Logistics companies is next on the agenda then.

From the outside, the containers don’t look that big, but if you put everything you own including furniture and belongings from a 20-30 ping apartment in Taipei into a 20ft container, it may fill up under an 1/8 of the container.

It’s actually more expensive to ship a small container than it is to ship a large one! Shipping companies or even forwarders will charge you a premium if you’re unable to fill the entire container.

There is an option called LCL, less than container load, which might be OK in some situations.

Yup, not cheap, but if you don’t have enough stuff, it’s one of your only choices. Sending stuff via Fedex or DHL can add up and you’re also crossing intl borders, so lots and lots of paperwork to fill out.

I did get a response from a logistics company in Taipei. But they responded with fees written with their industries jargon:

LCL:

O/F: USD 10 W/M

CFS: NTD 380 W/M

B/L : NTD 1800 B/L

ENS: USD 30 B/L

VGM: USD 15 B/L

CARRIER: EMC

ETC: EVERY FRI

TILL JULY 31 ON BOARD DATE

TT 35 DAYS

FCL

O/F: USD 1150/2200/2250+LSS USD 50/100/100+GBP 550/650/700

THC: NTD 5600/ 7000/7000

B/L : NTD 2200 B/L

ENS : USD 30 B/L

SEAL :NTD 250 /CNTR

VGM : USD 25 B/L

CARRIER: NYK

Thursday closing and ETD

40 DAYS

Validity: July 15 / on board date

Have you tried Steven the mover? I’ve had good experiences with him.

Official Ship Number. No clue what this is or does.

Container Freight Station. Place where your goods will be loaded into the container.

Bill of lading. Receipt that summarizes your shipment. Things like ship name, voyage number, description of goods, departure and arrival location.

No clue.

Verified gross mass/weight. They’re charging you for having to weight the container after it’s been loaded.

EMC = Evergreen Marine Corps.

Estimated time of closing. Time it takes for the container to be filled and doors closed.

Transit time. Time it takes for the boat to get from A to B.

Terminal handling charges. Kind of self explanatory, but it’s a fee all the actions needed to get your container off the truck onto the boat.

It’s a lock. You’re paying for a lock in which only a custom officer can open.

Boat is owned by Nippon Yusen Kaisha.

Yes, just under 200,000 NT!
Next…

Cheers.

I found this:
http://www.transocean.lt/wp-content/documentation/shippingterms-and-abbreviations.pdf

That would’ve been super useful to me about 5 years ago hahaaaa

Sea shipment is expensive anyway you go. You could try the post office as they have a cheaper service to ship stuff by sea, but there is no guarantee that it will arrive at all.

Surface mail from Taiwan to the UK stopped around 7 years ago unfortunately.

A friend of mine sends surface from HK airport post office when he does visa runs.

O/F is short for Ocean Freight. The W/M is the dimensional weight / volume and whichever is larger will be used to calculate your freight charges. Here’s how it’s calculated:
W/M calculation for Ocean Freight

Dimensional charges for loading the container at the CFS.

Entry Summary Declaration. If this is going to the US then they used the wrong term. ENS is for shipments going to the EU. For the US you have an AMS (Automated Manifest System) fee. It’s the electronic filing that tells US Customs what is on it’s way.

1 Like

how about shipping stuff to Taiwan?

The most obvious answer…I can’t believe I missed that.

Thanks for clarifying!

Anyone shipped their belongings back to their old country recently via a container?
Here I am 2 years down the road from the posts I made above, looking at doing it for real this year.