Contaminated water leakage at my university dorm

Water leakage began on February 11, 2023, around 20.00 in a university-owned dorm, and I was told by the RA or the university person in charge that probably interpreted as “yeah, I can’t fix this, but I’ll report to the building manager as soon as possible.”

the RA said the cause of the leakage is because of the room above me is cleaning the floor
which bring the question

how is it even possible that some water pass a hard concrete floor and cause a water leakage to the floor below it?

when I asked how quickly the repairs could be completed?

The RA stated, “I’m not sure, I have to wait for the building manager to arrange repairs at the earliest on February 14th.”

I’ve also been told that the RA and the building manager must visit my room to confirm the damage and, i think they will argue over who is responsible for the damage.

So far, the university has not provided me with alternative housing or compensation.

Is this normal in Taiwan?

FYI there’s 5 people in my room and 3 person are directly or indirectly affected by the water leakage.

any tips or advice that would be useful in my situation?
i’ve collected all related evidence of all the damages

1 Like

If water is leaking through cracks or something of the like, I would be more worried about the entire structure quality and earthquakes.

Yes, poor and/or corrupt construction in Taiwan is incredibly common. So is not wanting to maintain or fix things.

take it slow with them and remain respectful. it may take longer than you wish.

It is also easy not to win the dorm next round (if your unit does that) :wink:

2 Likes

Are you an international student? You could ask the international office to help, and while you’re at it ask them about your transfer options since a water leak can easily cause health problems through mold growing (Taiwan seems to be awfully moldy, I was just scrubbing the corners of the shower where it tends to build quickly)

Universities are desperate for students these days, just asking about transfer options when you bring the problem to their attention should light a fire.

5 Likes

Are you at a so-called “national” university?

If so, the repair process can be utterly painful, as the law seems to require some open bidding process for the job, as opposed to simply getting the damn problem fixed.

In any case, I hope you can get things resolved soon—or just move out if you are financially able to do so.

Guy

3 Likes

Do you mean Feb 11th?
Concrete is not waterproof - it’s porous, if you are talking about damp spots with some drips them that would be considered normal if the floor above was soaking so it’s not a structural issue.

I can see this taking a few days to sort out if redecorating is involved - you have to wait for the concrete to dry first.
Hope it gets sorted soon.

1 Like

I’m enrolling in a private university in Taipei

i pay my dormitory fee to the university but the building manager is not from the university

yes 11 February, it’s a typo

it’s been a day, the leakage spot still wet but the instensity of the water leakage has been lower.

Oh, then it seems like the problem has fixed itself and might only require a bit of repainting. If any :whistle:

1 Like

:arrow_up: AKA, welcome to Taiwan :slight_smile:

1 Like