Contract Renewal (Non-Teaching)

Hey all, I’m currently working in a big Taiwanese tech company. Since I’m a foreigner, the term of my contract is for a year (I’ve asked my Taiwanese colleagues, this is not the case for them). My contract is up for renewal soon (expires by August) and I’m wondering how common is it for Taiwanese companies to extend a foreigner’s contract? This is my first job so I’m kind of in the dark.

Any insights would be very helpful, thanks!

usually thw contract is open ended (unless you are hired for a specific project with a finish date)
anyway, i believe that as long as thw company wants you to stay, the contract will be renewed.

Thanks for your insight! I’m not a project-based contractor, I was hired as an employee. I receive the same benefits and underwent the same training like my Taiwanese colleagues, just that my contract has a start date and end date.

Just ask about their intentions. They may plan to renew.
Locals do have contracts to specify salary, benes, timeframe. I just wrote one to hire a local at a place where I consult. They are usually 3 years but also commonly 1 year.

My contacts were always for a one-year term which matched the annual work permit dates. Perhaps it’s simply related to that and will change if and when you get an APRC/open work permit?

@Steve4nLanguage May I ask how long have you been working in your company? And is it difficult for you when contract renewal comes?

@Aikaili May I ask how strict are Taiwanese companies when it comes to extending contracts?

It was an English school. I worked there for twelve years. After I got my APRC I continued to have yearly contracts which guaranteed wages, hours, bonuses and the like for a year, while allowing for annual renegotiations.

Not for me at this job, but I don’t know what the situation is for other types of employment.

By the way, I’ve been self-employed for the past two years and love it.

Strict may not the right word. It depends if they want the work/services you provide. Ask them and tell them you want to know because you want to be there. Even better, ask them to prepare a new contract for 3 years if the response is positive.
Keep in mind that 3 years doesn’t guarantee 3 years but it gets the intentions written on paper.
edit: they will match your potential arc and work permit dates.

2 Likes