Contract Termination Request, BUT NOT breaking contract

Yes, I did the search function and have found nothing!

My contract (and ARC) ends(at a big chain school) in the middle of July and I start my new job at the end of July. My new employer has been asking for a reference and a termination of contract document so that they can start the ARC process ASAP.

My new employer has already asked them for a reference and they have yet to reply not to mention they told my new employer only a certain person can give a reference and this certain person only comes when there is a problem and has never TRULY seen me teach :frowning:

My question is: Will requesting these documents professionally (writing a letter and nicely but firmly asking for them) help?? I thought if I do it myself, it might be more professional than my new employer asking…despite the negative aftermath that MIGHT ensue…

I’m NOT breaking my contract, but I have a bad feeling about what my current school might do…

I’ve heard negative and seriously unprofessional things about big chain schools and want to handle this in the best way that I can.

Has this ever happened to anyone?? Is anyone able to give any suggestions??

Thanks…I really do appreciate it

I did a very brief stint at a big chain school, and did break my contract (although I gave 2 weeks notice). When I needed the reference letter, they just faxed me a simple form letter with blanks where they wrote in the dates that I worked and the head CT signed it. So, I assume your place can do that as well.

Of course, to get that and the tax form that I needed for my next work permit, I called them everyday and basically bugged the crap out of them until I got them. I wasn’t rude though, just persistant :laughing:

I didn’t have all the stuff I needed together by the time I left, but my next employer was able to get an extension on my ARC, since I already had a new job in place, and I had everything ready before the extension was up.

To the best of my knowledge, neither document is necessary for your new employer to process a new work permit. A letter of reference must be for their own personal satisfaction. Further, since you can have two employers on an ARC, you don’t need a release from your current employer for your new one to be added.

You will have a problem with the gap between what you describe as the end of one job and the beginning of the other. You should encourage your new employer to have their work permit be effective before the expiration of your old one. Even this situation doesn’t require any additional documentation from your current employer.

As for the tax form that Tiare mentioned, I thought you got that from the tax office, not the employer…

Well, I’ve done my taxes already so that’s not aproblem…

The reference is for their own personal benefit and this is one of the first times they are asking for them (Why me??-haha)

As for the contract termination…I thought it was silly to have that since I’m NOT breaking my contract and I’m starting after my first contract ends…

I’m just really confused and worried by all this and am trying to research on what I can do to make this go as smoothly as it can…

Guess I just need to talk to my new boss on Tuesday… I really hope to hear more suggestions, because I feel so lost

Thanks

So how are you going to deal with the gap? Leave the country? It would be easier if your new contract/work permit is effective before the old one expires. You are allowed more than one work permit/employer, you don’t need the contract termination and you wouldn’t need to leave the country.

In Taiwan, people generally write their own letters of reference (no kidding). Maybe you can write up a letter you feel is appropriate and then just request a signature on it. Remember that the idea behind this is that you are doing this to save valuable time for the person who would otherwise have had to write it; it’s perfectly reasonable to the Taiwanese.

[quote=“ironlady”]In Taiwan, people generally write their own letters of reference (no kidding). Maybe you can write up a letter you feel is appropriate and then just request a signature on it. Remember that the idea behind this is that you are doing this to save valuable time for the person who would otherwise have had to write it; it’s perfectly reasonable to the Taiwanese.[/quote]Kinda the way it works back in the good old US of A, too.

So how are you going to deal with the gap? Leave the country? It would be easier if your new contract/work permit is effective before the old one expires. You are allowed more than one work permit/employer, you don’t need the contract termination and you wouldn’t need to leave the country.[/quote]

Well, my new employer told me I wouldn’t have to leave the country during the gap, and they said they would handle the ARC stuff. they have one current employer who came from my school and they are a private school (not a buxiban) so I trust they know what they are doing…

Maybe the contract termination is for their sole purpose…so that they know I will only work for them???

Biggest mistake you will ever make.

It’s your ass on the line, so never leave it up to someone else to make sure all the t’s are crossed. I would want to make sure my new work permit was effective PRIOR to the expiration of the old one. Otherwise, my understanding is you need to leave the country by the expiration of your current ARC. Again, that is only my understanding, but it is a detail I would verify with an authority other than an employer.

I think the contract termination letter is just something official that your employer must send to the government to prove you are no longer working there. I’ve had to get one at every job I’ve left (including ones where I finished the contract). You know in Taiwan, most of the government agencies don’t seem to communicate with each other very well, so I think it’s just for the office that will be issuing the new work permit to know what’s going on before your actual work permit is given.

Not sure about the tax thing, I was switching from a teaching ARC to a professional one, so they wanted the tax receipt from the beginning of the year until the day I left the school, so it might not be something you need to worry about.

Ok, I have’t had time to respond or read the other posts, but thanks so much!

I asked a friend(3 actually) about this and they said that I can write my own reference (as they had done before) and give it to my current boss to give to my new boss. They said it’s common in Taiwan, but I have NEVER had to do anything like that before in my life. I’ve been researching online and am not sure what I’m supposed to write…

Have you ever had to write your own reference and if you did, what did the reference say??

Ok, looks like I need to use the search function for reference letters…

Thanks again

Well, it looks like they gave me a really good reference after all!! :smiley:

As for the termination of contract…I’m still debating on write a written a request or just ask…what do you think?

-A reference in writing gives a good first impression.

-If your potential new employer wants to talk to the referring person, you could give them the phone number of your referral and set up a time frame between them, when your potential new employer might be able to contact them and ask for further details about your previous working experience.

I know I am dusting off a really old post (used the search but did not feel satisfied) but this has become a pressing matter for me…

I have an ARC tied to my marriage :discodance: and I am changing jobs :slight_smile: … I have completed my contract but my current school is requesting that I complete a form that reads “Contract Termination” :loco: and has a spot for my signature as well as the head of school… I have some worry about signing something that says I “cancelled” my contract as it is not truthful :noway: … I am not worried about being sent out of the country as I have my marriage based ARC but I do not want any problems with the new job. The new place says that my work permit is all taken care of already but there is no way to verify that I am aware of; it remains a non-issue doesn’t it? Worst case scenario? :ponder:

So what to do? To fill it out or not to fill it out?.. :s that is the question.

Thanks for the advice.

It depends what the expiry date is on your contract. If the contract is already expired, there is no need to sign anything because it is already terminated. As such, signing a termination contract has little relevance, but I would make sure to get paid in full before signing anything. Many contracts include a bonus upon completion. If you cancel your contract you will not be legally eligible for such a bonus. :2cents:

Are you sure they understand enough English to use the right words on a form?
Anyway, contracts/forms in Taiwan are usually only valid when written in Chinese, while any English version is uaually only used for information purposes, so i would ask to get that form they want you to sign in Chinese and then confirm with people who know Chinese well (here on the board or otherwise) what the text on that form means. And if it means something that you have a reason not to agree to then i see no point in signing it - rather i would point out that what is written does not match the facts of your situation. And if what is written was OK i would most likely sign it (assuming there are no other reasons not to sign). In any case, i wouldn’t sign an Engish form that i don’t understand or agree with. Hope i’m making sense… :wink:

Edit: I think there may be such a thing as an attestation of employment, where both sides declare that the contract has ended as planned and that there are no claims/unfulfilled obligations on part of either party - the employee would sign such a document after having received all contractually agreed upon payments (including the end-of-contract bonus, if that applies).

PS: It would have been better to start a new thread with a fitting title. :slight_smile:

As you have a marriage based ARC, you have open work rights. The school does not need to get a work permit.