Converting a Taiwan driver's license to a MA driver's license

I’m an American with a valid Taiwanese driver’s license and a long-expired MA driver’s license. I’m going back to visit MA this summer and I see my state now has a reciprocity agreement with Taiwan. Looking at the requirements, though, it looks like you have to “turn in” your Taiwanese license to get a MA driver’s license.

You must turn in your Taiwanese driver’s license, which the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Boston will keep.

If I convert my license, and then come back to Taiwan, could I just go to the Motor Vehicles Office here and re-apply for my Taiwanese license? Would I have to retake the driving test?

1 Like

Don’t know the answer, but why not apply for a Taiwan international license permit (IDP) here at Taiwan motor vehicles? No Hassel of having to go to DMV both in MA and Taiwan, and cheaper.

I wrote about process here Getting an international driver's license in taiwan - #62 by Bluew

I exchanged my MA license in Taiwan 7 years ago. It was an easy process. I did make sure to keep my MA license valid and updated since then. I think you can re activate your MA license but only after 2 years according to the RMV website (You can renew your license up to 2 years after expiration. If your license has been expired more than 2 years, you will be required to take the learner’s permit exam and road test.)

As for exchanging a Taiwan license to a MA license that info is here. https://www.mass.gov/info-details/information-for-converting-certain-foreign-drivers-licenses

Edit: They will make you turn it in but you can get the Taiwan license back easily by saying you lost it. They won’t know that you’ve exchanged your license.

Can you be a little more specific? Are you moving back to MA or just visiting for the summer?

If you’re moving back, then you would turn in your Taiwan license for a MA one. If you’re only visiting, then you would get an IDP here in Taiwan before leaving.

If you move to MA, and move back to Taiwan in the future, then you would turn in your MA license for a Taiwan one. No driving test necessary.

Actually they will. The Massachusetts RMV will turn in the old Taiwan license to TECO Boston, who will then inform the Taiwan MOTC.

1 Like

I also have Mass. connections. Whenever I return for visit I use an international drivers permit along with the Taiwan license. Due to being in Taiwan for a long time I am not able to get a Mass license after it expired. As was stated I would have to start over and take the test again.

I assumed that it is a case of the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing. I have maintained a valid license in Massachusetts and Taiwan even after I exchanged one to the other. I have since updated (reapply for my Taiwan license when my ID number exchanged) I have renewed twice in MA after giving them my physical card.

1 Like

Also, it doesn’t seem to be Taiwan having an issue about people keeping their drivers’ license after an exchange. For some countries / states, it’s not necessary to surrender one’s license to them. Thus, I would assume that the authorities in Taiwan will only do this if the other territory requires this (for whatever stupid reason…).

Taiwan and MA now have a mutual agreement. If you move to MA from Taiwan, you can turn in your Taiwan license in exchange for a MA one without taking the test.

You would only take the test if you didn’t have a Taiwan license to turn in.

Lucky you. I tried to get a replacement MA license (reporting my old one as lost) after turning in my old one in exchange for a Taiwan one, and the website said I wasn’t eligible.

1 Like

I’d be curious if the other way worked: Exchange your Taiwanese license back for a MA license and then try to get a new license in Taiwan by reporting it lost. I’d assume that they care less about this in Taiwan than in the other territories. Not that I’d encourage anyone to try :whistle:

It’s all good. If I ever need to visit the US, I’ll just drive with an IDP.

There’s really no reason to have two licenses unless you’re trying to be sneaky and qualify for in-state tuition at UMass or something.

1 Like

The obvious advantage would be being able to drive in territories which do not accept Taiwan’s IDP (either in general or just for ARC holders), but would accept the license from one’s home country.

So I am still a bit irritated that Germany forced me to turn in my license (just like MA seems to do…) while other territories allow you to keep their license after doing an exchange.

Even worse: If one has a combined car and motorcycle license and they need to surrender it as part of the exchange, but the agreement with Taiwan doesn’t include the motorcycle license, one would actually lose the permission to drive a motorcycle…

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not planning on moving back, just visiting MA for the summer, so I’ll be getting an IDP here before going. I’ve got a bunch of other errands to do stateside so I was sort of hoping I could pick up a license relatively carefree without doing a road test for the third time in my life.

1 Like