Cooking pizza in a small Taiwanese oven

I could have sworn we had a thread about cooking pizza at home, but I can’t find one. There’s quite a bit of tangential information in two threads I’ll link below.

I cook decent pizza at home with a Doctor Goods oven, discussed a lot in the “Home oven” thread below. I believe some of the ovens sold at Costco will also work. A typical toaster oven in my opinion probably can’t cook a pizza, although if you’re using a frozen pizza shell I guess it could work. You probably want something that’ll go up to 250C / 480F.

I’m not sure if it’s cheaper. For better or worse, regularly cooking pizza at home has made the delivery options taste awful to me. But the big problem is that making pizza is admittedly something of an adventure: make the dough, wait for it to rise, make the sauce, roll out dough, meanwhile have the oven preheating … (But I’m slow in the kitchen; of course, you can make things at different times, and if you stock the freezer the process can be faster.)

I’m not sure what you mean by pizza base. I’ve probably seen pizza sauce around, but I don’t think I’ve ever bought it. Quite easy to make at home - canned tomatoes (any imported brand; who knows, maybe local are good - never tried them) and red wine vinegar and a bit of oregano and that’s about it. I think I’ve seen frozen pizza shells at some of the baking stores, but they’re not a regular purchase for me, so I’m not sure. I make pizza dough in my bread machine or food processor. If you’ve got either of those, it’s easy to make.

Cheese: I usually buy blocks of mozzarella - Heritage brand, I think? - available at Carrefour or City Super. Once or twice I’ve bought the giant bags of shredded mozzarella at Costco, and they’re fine, but for me the money saved wasn’t worth the hassle of separating out the grated cheese into separate ziplock bags and then having a freezer full of cheese. (That’d be more appealing to me if I had a separate cabinet freezer.) Fresh mozzarella, also available but not as reliably, is better but for my palate doesn’t make a huge difference. If I notice it I’ll buy it, but I don’t seek it out. Totally fine salami / pepperoni is available at Costco, a few Carrefours, and City Super. Well, I only know one Carrefour that has it - the one near Zhishan Station - but presumably there are others.

1 Like