Home oven recommendations

I had been looking to replace my old oven. I checked several of the baking DIY stores and found some good average size ovens in the 6,000+ range. I was at Costco the other day and found a Kaiser Chef stainless steel oven for 8,000+. A little more than I wanted to spend but this thing is huge. It will easily hold a full 7 rib standing rib roast or any of the fresh turkeys I have seen in Taiwan. It has 3 racks and a rotiisseri. Four cooking elements and a good size fan to circulate the heat. Tight closing door. I have used it a little and am very pleased so far.

Let us know how it goes! Have seen that but haven’t taken the plunge.

I have tried baking cakes, pies, roasting, broiling and simple reheat for snacks. It works great. I will follow up in awhile but I wouldn’t hesitate. Good unit all around.

Hmmm maybe it is time to upgrade

Let us know how you get on with it, I’ve had my eye’s on it for a while, but my GF doesn’t think it’s worth it, as I already have an “oven” if you can call it that…

Ya. I had that gf problem too. I simply had her feel around the door at all the escaping heat and asked her how much it might be costing us to use the old POS. We bought the new one that afternoon. A true energy saving device.
Cornbread just came out. Friday night and I’m baking cornbread. Lame. But hot cornbread with honey butter and a glass of Merlot. Life is good.

From earlier this year:

After reading Enigma’s recommendation, I got me one of those thingies. I’m very happy with it so far, even though I didn’t do much yet (only chicken legs, Flammkueche and bread so far). One nice thing is it plugs into 110V standard outlets, but still seems to get quite hot. Well, so do the plug and cord, thanks to the many Amperes flowing :wink:

It’s big, much hotter than toaster ovens, has a fan for convection, and heating on top and bottom. What else do you need for most every-day baking? Recommended! :beer:

Do be careful not to patch that through an underrated extension cord. I melted one once.

That oven sounds really nice. I’m hoping mine breaks so I have an excuse to upgrade. :smiley:

One question, though – how many trays can it bake at once? THat is, how many brackets are there for adjusting shelf height, and also, are extra grill shelves available for it?

One of my complaints about many local ovens is that they have only one to three brackets to take trays, and they only come with one grill shelf (wire shelf), but if you’re drying food, or making jerky or crackers, you want to put more in at a time than that.

hehe no extensions for such a high-power item. And definitely no NT$59 ones - I learned enough about currents in school and university, and enogh about TWese quality in my job :stuck_out_tongue:

If I remember correctly this “Kaiser Chef” (dumb name) oven has 4 brackets. It comes with 2 wire shelfs and one baking tray. I didn’t see any additional shelfs/trays available at Costco, but I didn’t search, yet. Sure enough, before the christmas season comes again, I’ll look for more baking trays for all those cookies and shortbread :slight_smile: Oh, and I’ll try to get something like a Pizza Stone, maybe helps to get the Flammkueche even better :hungry:

The Working House do small baking trays, but they’re quite expensive for what you get.
I haven’t seen Costco selling any accessories for the oven and I doubt they have any.

I’m not at home right now but as I recall it has 2 that adjust and a bottom tray and pan. I think that’s will adjust also. This thing is big enough that it will hold some very good size pans. Imagine an oven found in motorhomes and the like. This is a bit larger. I didn’t see accessories but they may be available from Kaiser. Agreed, stupid name but this works so well. I have used it for all kinds of baking now. It took me a few minutes to figure out what the strange shaped handle that it came with was for. Finally figured it out - the rotesserie. This will hold a Taiwan size turkey. I haven’t tried the rotesserie yet but - soon.

This Kaiser oven will be on sale the first week of May, according to my COSTCO coupon booklet.

Has anyone checked out the big baking stuff store in Tianmu? There should be plenty of trays there -I’m also thinking about extras to cool cookies. Dunno if they also have ovens.

My boss gave me her Taiwan-made oven (same brand as electric pots and such) and even though it is enormous, it is a POS. Barely can toast bread, but it is OK with me as I usually set a whole bagette with cheese inside.

She bought a German brand, Feiton in Chinese, Vesta or something like that in English. 30 thousand bucks for a real one at Mitsukoshi.

Cool! :smiley: Thanks for the info.

Check out the NT$10 stores first if you want to stock up on extras like that. You can save a LOT of money if they have what you want.

As for baking stores, my favorite is still the one under the Minquan bridge. It’s got a better selection of ingredients, among other things, and there’s a decent oven there too.

[quote]My boss gave me her Taiwan-made oven (same brand as electric pots and such) and even though it is enormous, it is a POS. Barely can toast bread, but it is OK with me as I usually set a whole bagette with cheese inside.
[/quote]

You’ll save electricity if you get a toaster, methinks. Having the elements right next to the toast and a timer means you’re only using the juice needed to toast the bread instead of heating up a big, slow, leaky oven.

[quote=“Icon”]
Has anyone checked out the big baking stuff store in Tianmu? There should be plenty of trays there -I’m also thinking about extras to cool cookies. Dunno if they also have ovens.

.[/quote]

Assuming you’re talking about the place on Shidong Street, Pantry Magic it’s called I think, I was just there. A LOT of different stuff, on the expensive side–for example they have the Kaiser oven costco has for 11,000–but definitely a place to go if you’re looking for something you can’t find elsewhere, I would be surprised if they didn’t have it, they had all kinds of odd items.

None of the ovens in my house are big enough for me to stick my head in. But I don’t cook much.

I am very happy with the Taiwanese made oven I bought a couple of months ago. The oven has upper/lower temp. control. It’s a bit smaller than the one in Costco, but I can still bake two loaves of bread at a time without burning(there’s a shield thingy that dissipates the heat evenly inside). The seals around it are pretty good, much better than the average oven found here. I bought mine for 5000NT. You can buy it off the internet here:
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?11090131449408

Uhm… :loco:

[quote=“bentster”]I am very happy with the Taiwanese made oven I bought a couple of months ago. The oven has upper/lower temp. control. It’s a bit smaller than the one in Costco, but I can still bake two loaves of bread at a time without burning(there’s a shield thingy that dissipates the heat evenly inside). The seals around it are pretty good, much better than the average oven found here. I bought mine for 5000NT. You can buy it off the internet here:
http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?11090131449408[/quote]

It looks like the shelf can only be moved to one other set of pegs, which means no baking 3-5 layers of cookies or drying jerky or fruits. That’s a no-go for me. I guess I should learn to weld.

The cheaper ovens already have an upper-lower control (although they’re upper only, lower only, or both). But with the ability to better balance the upper-lower heat distribution, the heat shield and the better seals, perhaps it’s worth it. Does anyone else have that model or one like it?

I definitely bake enough to warrant a better oven. It shows, I know. :raspberry: Made Chilean empanadas tonight. I’d be interested to hear about the ones others have, if they’re electric and under $9k or so.

I was looking at this one in Carrefour a little while ago shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … 1M&ROWNO=6 but although it seems quite nice, has a steam unit and all, it’s way too expensive for what it is imho, especially as it’s not that roomy inside.
Seems like my old thing isn’t for sale any more, I just wish I could afford to get a new one…

What I meant was that you can control the temperature of each element. I’ve only seen this feature on the more expensive ones. This one has just three adjustable levels and enough space for one pie tin.

Happy Baking