Home oven recommendations

By the way, the Costco “Kaiser”-Thingie also can regulate upper and lower heating elements seperately, each from off to 250°C.

It’s $8300, for a 1.5 cu ft. 1500w unit. It will be $950 off, ($7350) from May 1 to 7.
Inside: 18"w x 11"h x 12.125"d
Outside: 24"2 X 14.25"h x 15.5"d
Shelf: 18" x 12.125"d
It comes with two wire shelves (at least that’s what the demo model had), four brackets for them, and one solid drip pan which also fits the brackets (so it isn’t limited to just sitting on the bottom). The timer is digital, and the rotisserie and convection fan have their own power switches.

It says it takes a 9x13" pan, but you could probably get an 11x15 or larger into it.

There’s NO information on how to get additional shelves, and they are most likely not available. I think the unit is made in China, and a search for the brand online didn’t bring up any useful info.

So basically our options are 8300 nts for China made Kaiser or 30 something for Germany-built ones? Is there something in between?

IF you’ve got 220V available, then this place has loads of options. They also stock a few Japanese 110V models from Rinnai, but they’re stupidly expensive (NT$56k and up).
Most of them are also meant to be built in rather than freestanding.
They have a couple of models for around NT$20k with the cheapest seemingly from Rinnai as well for NT$18,400. The SMEG for NT$19,500 is a better option though, as it seems to be fan assisted, but I’m not sure.
This might be an option too, but it looks very industrial and the same site is listing this, but then the one in Costco looks nicer imho.
Ooh… the SMEG is under NT$17k here, not a bad deal as such.
They even list my old pos oven although it’s quite large for the money.
NT$13,800 for another really industrial looking thing.
Under NT$6k for the Sampo with steamer
This might be something, NT$8200
This looks better than your average cheapo oven here and it’s 30L for NT$1850 with side opening door. Not a lot of adjustable racks though.

This is something new and very strange looking shopping.pchome.com.tw/?mod=item … M&ROWNO=22

Is that an oven or a bread maker? Looks like a very strange bread maker to me…

It looks like what the doggie parlor uses to dry Toto… :astonished:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I hope not, for the sake of Toto at least…

The only thing I have found that I need to modify with my Kaiser is that I have to increase the temp about 10 deg. c and increase the cooking time by about 10 minutes. Sure alot better than my old toasty oven which often required a double baking time.

Same with my el cheapo, which is also so poorly insulated that I went out and bought sheets of cork to put atop it. :s

If you’re bored, or just tired of your pies coming out uneven, you can calibrate the oven with a cheap oven thermometer. From then on you’ve got a good guess at how off it runs where the hot-spots/cold-spots are.

BTW, the DIY baking store by the Minquan bridge has a Taiwanese oven [color=#4040BF](EDIT: more details in a post further below) [/color]for NT$7900 which, IMO, feels better built than the Kaiser. The controls feel more solid, the door moves more smoothly, and it looks well insulated (e.g. with double glass on a thick door); it has top and bottom temp controls (EDIT: marked up to 250C each, equiv. 482F) and a timer, but no rotisserie or convection fan. The top and bottom elements are both baffled for more even heat distribution, and it has two or three (not four; I think 3) shelf positions, one wire shelf (EDIT: extra costs $350) and one non-stick drip tray and pan (EDIT: extra costs $500). The size and wattage are about the same. EDIT: the mfr. says it will reach 250 C (482 F) in 15-20 minutes. Mine took 20-25 mins to reach 250C, and then stayed there for 10 minutes, so I stopped testing it. BTW, they delivered it for free. :smiley:

The owners of the store say they carry that one because it has the most even heating, and because the made-in-Taiwan quality beats the made-in-China ovens (like the Kaiser). SO, fewer features but perhaps a nicer oven, for a similar price; just something to consider if you wouldn’t use the rotisserie feature anyway. Also, they will contact the mfr. for me to check on the availability and price of extra shelves. I’ll post it here; I think I’ll pay the manufacturer a visit too, since they’re in Xizhi, near me. This looks like a very good option for home bakers.

Here’s the store info:
As you’re driving East down Minquan (Minquan) E Rd towards Neihu, after passing the aquarium shops and crossing Fuyuan St. (the last before the bridge), instead of getting on the bridge, take the low road parallel to the bridge on the south side. Go a short block, just past a Bridgestone tire shop; turn right, and go about 50 meters, and the shop is on your left. 義興西點原料行 is the shop name; the address is 富錦街574巷2號 Fujin St., Lane 574, #2. Phone 2760-8115.

1 Like

Thanks, I will have to check that out.

The above mentioned store says you can order extra wire shelves for this oven for $350 each; good if you’re doing something like drying fruit or jerky and you need lots of surface area. :thumbsup:

What’s the brand on that oven?

I seem to have misplaced it. :smiley: Some local name; nothing I’ve ever heard of, but it felt solidly built, and the store owner said that’s why he carries it.

I’ll dig.

By the by, I spotted a couple of “cookers” from Kenmore online
store.pchome.com.tw/pin_chuan/M03089812.htm
store.pchome.com.tw/pin_chuan/M03090828.htm
They’re a tad expensive I guess, at NT$39k and 48k…
And you need the space in your kitchen of course

[quote=“Dragonbones”]BTW, the DIY baking store by the Minquan bridge has a Taiwanese oven for NT$7900 which, IMO, feels better built than the Kaiser. The controls feel more solid, the door moves more smoothly, and it looks well insulated (e.g. with double glass on a thick door); it has top and bottom temp controls and a timer, but no rotisserie or convection fan. The top and bottom elements are both baffled for more even heat distribution, and it has two or three (not four; I think 3) shelf positions, one wire shelf and one non-stick drip tray. The size and wattage are about the same.

The owners of the store say they carry that one because it has the most even heating, and because the made-in-Taiwan quality beats the made-in-China ovens (like the Kaiser). SO, fewer features but perhaps a nicer oven, for a similar price; just something to consider if you wouldn’t use the rotisserie feature anyway. Also, they will contact the mfr. for me to check on the availability and price of extra shelves. I’ll post it here; I think I’ll pay the manufacturer a visit too, since they’re in Xizhi, near me. This looks like a very good option for home bakers.

Here’s the store info:
As you’re driving East down Minquan (Minquan) E Rd towards Neihu, after passing the aquarium shops and crossing Fuyuan St. (the last before the bridge), instead of getting on the bridge, take the low road parallel to the bridge on the south side. Go a short block, just past a Bridgestone tire shop; turn right, and go about 50 meters, and the shop is on your left. 義興西點原料行 is the shop name; the address is 富錦街574巷2號 Fujin St., Lane 574, #2. Phone 2760-8115.[/quote]

I found that the Kaiser is too big for my kitchen, is this one smaller?

I want a decent oven thats just a bit smaller.

[quote=“StuartCa”]I found that the Kaiser is too big for my kitchen, is this one smaller?

I want a decent oven thats just a bit smaller.[/quote]

The oven at the “Minquan bridge” DIY store is a Dr. Goods brand oven. It is by eyeball approximately the same size as the Kaiser, but I didn’t measure the Dr. Goods.

EDIT: The mfr’s website is ucook.com.tw; the owner is Mr. Wang, very nice chap. 2694-9751.

It is described as a commercial-quality unit, and the knobs and door mechanism do feel like it, but it’s only a tad more money, so it might be a good investment.
The Kaiser is 42 liters internally, vs. 43 for the DG.
The DG has upper and lower heat baffles, which means more even heating; the website describes the body as stainless; the door has double glass for efficiency, and the door is thick. Looks nice! I’m betting it will save money in electricity due to better insulation, based on looking at the door. It may also manage to get hotter, but I won’t know until I try it. It runs the same 1500w as the Kaiser.

The DG dimensions, presumably outer, on the website are:
59…5cm (23.4"w) x 44.5 [EDIT: but 46.5 on the box in the store] (17.5"d) x 36cm (14.2"h), so it’s about the same as the Kaiser, but 2" deeper. Inner:45.5 x 35 x 29cm; steel rack 45.5 x 33cm. That sounds about like the one in the store.

EDIT: I measured the inside of mine at 45.8cm w x 35 d x 22.5 h (baking space available with upper and lower baffles in place).

The Kaiser is 24"w x 15.5"d x 14.25" tall on the outside, if I measured right. My old one, a typical Taiwanese oven, about $3k at appliance stores, is 21.75" wide, so it’s slightly smaller. You’ll have to measure your available space, write it down, and take a tape measure with you to the appliance stores. You won’t get as nice an oven, but it will be cheap. Or you can buy one used off someone like me who’s itching to upgrade. :smiley: That would give me a good excuse to buy the DG or Kaiser, lol.

If anyone is looking for that Dr.Goods one, there’s a DIY bakery shop near the number 4 park in Yonghe (next to a Giraffee school) that is also selling it for $7900.

I checked it out the other day and agree that it’s much more solidly built than the Kaiser. When I went to Costco to check out the Kaiser, the oven door on it didn’t seem to close all the way (about a half inch gap all around). The sales clerk said that about half of the ovens sold get returned because of this. Has anybody else noticed a problem with the door?

I think the only downside to the Dr.Good one is that the two shelf brackets are only about an inch apart, so doesn’t seem to be much leeway on where the shelf can go.

Yes, I thought the door mechanism on the Kaiser was a little rough, and the knobs a little flimsy, given the price. For that price I’d want a bit higher quality, and I’ve learned to be suspicious of made-in-China crap. Things made in Taiwan, like the Dr. Goods, are likely to be easier to repair, too. I had the same reservation about the Dr. Good shelf brackets, and was thinking of stopping by their Xizhi office to talk to them about it. After all, how hard could it be for their workmen to weld a couple more in place? But there is another option, which is to set a couple bricks or an inverted steel casserole pan of the right height in there, and put your shelf atop that. Not ideal, but it would work. :idunno: