Home oven recommendations

Haven’t had a problem with the door . . . . yet. I did notice that I am getting consistently irregular temps. I put a meat thermometer inside and just adjust accordingly. Probably true of all these low end ovens.

and the other “built in” type ovens

I plan to work on my kitchen soon and would like a real oven, electric based with hobs would be best so I can get rid of the ugly rusting gas bottle

Ive only seen them ini BnQ (80,000) and the expensive mall near civic blvd (65,000++) - forget the name - but if I could find a real oven for around 20,000 that would be great - or is this totally unrealistic

I will rip out my current kitchen and want to dedicate 8ping to kitchen/prep area so the oven would be built in next to units

the Minquan bakery shop also sells this type?

They don’t have the HUGE western combo oven + stovetop (range) and hood units, if that’s what you mean, no. The shop mostly stocks baking utensils and ingredients; it’s not a kitchen appliance store. They happen to carry one or two dedicated oven units.

There’s another thread on oven + range units you should check out:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=54040&start=50

[quote=“itakitez”]and the other “built in” type ovens

I plan to work on my kitchen soon and would like a real oven, electric based with hobs would be best so I can get rid of the ugly rusting gas bottle

Ive only seen them ini BnQ (80,000) and the expensive mall near civic blvd (65,000++) - forget the name - but if I could find a real oven for around 20,000 that would be great - or is this totally unrealistic

I will rip out my current kitchen and want to dedicate 8ping to kitchen/prep area so the oven would be built in next to units

the Minquan bakery shop also sells this type?[/quote]

You can buy Western style cookieng ranges with oven incorporated at the department stores, like Mitsukoshi.

As to the ones you can built in, I was oggling this Miele Spanish beauty for 38000 nts at SOGO last Wednesday… Ah, if I had my own house…

Well, these are NT$39-48k kenmore.com.tw/prd/dmktc-rng.html
This place has a wide range of built in ovens starting from around NT$18k home-life.tw/showroom/mallse … B=3886&Nm=進口烤箱
but then you’d have to get a separate cooker of course.
Why can’t IKEA sell their appliances here, they’re cheap and pretty decent quality… :aiyo:
Oh, and I found out why some of the Rinnai gear is so expensive, it’s cause they make gas ovens…

When I first started looking for an oven, I went to IKEA and they gave me the phone number for the supplier of their ovens here because I just wanted an oven, not the whole kitchen remodeling.

0913-088-171 & 02-8771-9415

There’s an address too, but in Chinese, and I can’t write it. If you want, just let me know and I can scan a copy for you.

Home Oven
That’s what SOHO stands for?
I want some Open Oven applications.

The stuff sold in IKEA here is not the same gear that they sell elsewhere in the world, they actually carry their own brand gear made by whirlpool.
In Taiwan they just use some local supplier that sells normal kitchen appliances.

I did contact them, and they weren’t very responsive to suggestions. The oven will be fine, even for broiling, if you invert a deep pan on the center shelf, then put your broiling pan atop that. It can do two trays of cookies too, if you rotate them (and buy an extra shelf, $350). But it won’t do 4+ trays of jerky at a time, not without more shelf brackets.

Don’t kill me, but how about that “new” Panasonic microwave. I went to oggle the Miele again, and they had this French brand too (can’t remember the name right now) and then the Panasonic guy pulled me over and gave me the sales pitch. he assured me you could broil and bake in it as if it were a conventional oven (hah!) and other qualities. He claims it can actually brown the food, has air convection or whatever that means, etc… :blah:

It’s huge, compared to the others, same size inside as the mounted conventional ones.

Has any of you guys used one of these, especially, to bake bread? Here, in Taiwan, I mean?

[quote=“Icon”]Don’t kill me, but how about that “new” Panasonic microwave. I went to ogle the Miele again, and they had this French brand too (can’t remember the name right now) and then the Panasonic guy pulled me over and gave me the sales pitch. he assured me you could broil and bake in it as if it were a conventional oven (hah!) and other qualities. He claims it can actually brown the food, has air convection or whatever that means, etc… :blah:

It’s huge, compared to the others, same size inside as the mounted conventional ones.

Has any of you guys used one of these, especially, to bake bread? Here, in Taiwan, I mean?[/quote]

I think they have conventional heating elements in them, like a regular oven, plus a microwave transmitter. Convection means it has a fan in it, so the hot air doesn’t just sit there, it circulates, cooking food more quickly. I’ve never used one, but if it replaced the microwave and oven, it would save space. On the other hand, I often use both at the same time, so having only one would be a bottleneck.

Guys, have a look here and tell me what you think. This is the one my boss has:

http://www.vastar.com.tw/rg08-3.htm

More at:

http://www.vastar.com.tw

http://www.vastar.com.tw/p-5.htm

In the buses, they have an ad of an oven combined with an electric range. Me likey.

I saw this unit in an ad at the Hsinchu train station. It looks like a good unit. I see it has a rotessrrie and is 125 V. Looks good. How much? Available in Taiwan? Where can I get service? It does not look like a unit that anyone who purchases can get an immediate replacement. Costo? Immediate refund if you have problems. Price is reasonable for what you get and the unit does what you need to have done.
If you purchase Vastar, we would all like to know about you ongoing experiences with the unit.

My boss bought Vastar and gave me her Good Cook one. Her Vastar is already 7 years old and has had no problem. She bakes weekly.

Models go for 20 thousand to 30 all the way to 60 thousand nts, at Mitsukoshi. Parts and service available in Taiwan.

Ouch!

THe $7900 I paid for my Dr. Goods is looking better now, thanks. :smiley:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Ouch!

THe $7900 I paid for my Dr. Goods is looking better now, thanks. :smiley:[/quote]

Yep, it makes quite a difference, though I oggle these ones more than the Miele. Nevertheless, I am a bit uneasy about a locally made one, beacuse of the experience with the one my boss gave me and what “everyone” says about them. However, you have pointed put we can also find good quality local ovens.

I have to take a leap of faith here.

[quote=“Icon”]Nevertheless, I am a bit uneasy about a locally made one, beacuse of the experience with the one my boss gave me and what “everyone” says about them. However, you have pointed put we can also find good quality local ovens.

I have to take a leap of faith here.[/quote]

Or wait a few years and I’ll give you feedback on the reliability, performance and longevity of this one. I’m happy with it so far, although I still wish it had more flexibility in terms of shelf heights. But with a little ingenuity one can work around it.

Now I’m looking for a pizza stone. I’ve got a lead on a guy who sells the stones that some people grill meat on, and might get him to cut one to size for me. I’m using ceramic tiles now, but they’re not as big or as thick as I want. I was also looking at a cast iron griddle from Lodge that looks to be about the right size, but it’s NT$3500; a stone would be a couple hunnert.

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“Icon”]Nevertheless, I am a bit uneasy about a locally made one, beacuse of the experience with the one my boss gave me and what “everyone” says about them. However, you have pointed put we can also find good quality local ovens.

I have to take a leap of faith here.[/quote]

Or wait a few years and I’ll give you feedback on the reliability, performance and longevity of this one. I’m happy with it so far, although I still wish it had more flexibility in terms of shelf heights. But with a little ingenuity one can work around it.

Now I’m looking for a pizza stone. I’ve got a lead on a guy who sells the stones that some people grill meat on, and might get him to cut one to size for me. I’m using ceramic tiles now, but they’re not as big or as thick as I want. I was also looking at a cast iron griddle from Lodge that looks to be about the right size, but it’s NT$3500; a stone would be a couple hunnert.[/quote]

check the link from SVKtiger

http://www.home-life.tw/showroom/mallset_u.php?SOB=3886&Nm=

that looks very like apizza stone in the middle to me…?

Thanks! However, not only is that overpriced (I can get a thick, 10"-square Spanish stoneware tile for NT$200 in Xizhi), but I want something big enough to fill most of my oven space so I can back multiple loaves, not just one pizza. Furthermore, the raised pattern on the stone in the link means that not all of the crust will be in contact with the pizza or the base of the loaf, so I doubt it would crisp as nicely.

I think a smooth piece of stoneware, terra cotta, ceramic, or high-temp stone would be better. Another option is to put smaller tiles together until you get the size you want, but I’d rather have one big piece, personally. This barbecue stone stuff is nice and thick, around 3cm supposedly, and only a few hundred NT, cut to size, so I’ll swing by that place tonight and check it out.

EDIT 2 (Aug. 2011): The stones below ended up splitting, so this isn’t the best route. I recommend instead getting a Lodge Logic Double-Play cast iron griddle to use as a pizza stone. I got mine from tw.myblog.yahoo.com/pichen1102/a … l=f&fid=24, the same person I got my Lodge Dutch Oven from.

EDIT 1: I had trouble getting building materials stores to agree to cut custom tiles for me, as apparently they only sell the tiles in quantity, and it’s up to the onsite workers who install them to do the cutting. After much searching today, I found a stone mason at 2-5 碧山路 Bishan Rd. in Neihu (near DeAn) who will custom cut stone slabs for about a thousand, and large tile plates for only a few hundred NT$. I had these cut to fit my oven:

The bottom stone rails are to support the stones if I want to put them on the oven floor instead of the wire rack, and they allow the hot air to flow up from the bottom diffuser instead of trapping it within the diffuser. The stones plus rails weigh 7.5 kilograms!!! After a good preheat, that will not only give a nice bottom crust, but acting as a heat sink, should help minimize the temperature drop when you open the door to put the bread in.

^^^ That’s awesome DB. There are some houses being renovated in my neighborhood so once it gets dark I will go out and acquire a large tile. :wink:
I am guessing that the tile wants to be a little smaller than the trays, in order to let air circulate around the bottom heating elements. I have the Kaiser convection oven.