Cooking pizza in a small Taiwanese oven

Eh…I can never really be bothered with chicken wings, cooking or eating, to be honest. Don’t like dealing with the bones. :sweat_smile: More of a breast man.

1 Like

I hear ya. I know a friend who eats the bones :rofl:

1 Like

You can use breast or thigh meat. You just use the wing sauce instead of traditional pizza sauce. Adding Bleu cheese crumbles completes it.

1 Like

I made some pretty decent pulled chicken a couple of days ago actually (the Wellc…uh, Carrefour near me had chicken breasts for >50% off as they were due to expire, so I bought a few packs). That might work pretty well on pizza.

1 Like

Do you make your own BBQ sauce?

Not really, but I made a rub for the chicken breasts with similar ingredients (off the top of my head: black/red/green pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder), sautéd them, then pressure cooked them in a bit of chicken stock and BBQ sauce. They turned out pretty good.

2 Likes

We don’t all live in Pingtung you know! :rofl:

Guy

3 Likes

I seen a pizza truck in xinjhuan too, the price was around 150-200 or so. Had a wood pizza oven in a blue truck. I think reason for the low price is no rent to pay. You just need a truck.

In exchange foooooooor ? :exploding_head:

The hole in someone’s roof. :money_mouth_face:

As long as it’s not ( head …… body )

I did mention you can also buy them at stores. Probably online as well. The point isnt the price, its how much better it makes things like pizza compared to metal trays. They arent that unknown here.

Trust me, they are worth it! :slight_smile:

An example from googleverse.

1 Like

You didn’t say get a lava rock online; you said we could buy some slate from Indigenous peoples! :rofl:

We don’t all live in Rukai / Paiwan land you know!

Guy

Or stores. They are not uncommon a thing. Buy where ever you like :slight_smile: slate/shale are the common rocks used here in taiwan. Stores will probably sell all different kinds. Online as well, never checked.

1 Like

You can make it using flour, pinch of salt, pinch of yeast and water. Let it rise for a bit. Then roll it. You’d be surprised by how good it tastes

It’s a lot of work though, and you have to knead it for it to develop properly, not to mention they need to be in a fairly warm place to rise properly. In the winter for example they’d take forever to rise if at all.

I don’t think it lies within the realms of rocket science . And your first attempt is already 15 times better than a prepurchased pizza base

3 Likes

It takes me about 1 hour to make 30 flat pizza breads. I dont like the thick ones so i dont add yeast, i am not a fan of thick crust style pizza. I do add a pinch of baking soda. Nornally my dough is flour, water baking soda, salt and olive oil. i add jalapeno flakes sometimes for flavor. Usually when finished resting and ready to roll out. But regardless, its really really easy to make the dough. just need to bowl, a flat surface and something long and round to roll it out. I make lots to freeze then make pizzas or use them in dips and sauces like humus, curry etc. Amazing easy snacks :slight_smile: and i use the ultra small tiny 2 slices of bread for $500 type oven. One of those thivs anyone can make with an electrical outlet and a camp stove :slight_smile:

I have made pizza dough but it didn’t really taste as good as commercial pizza. I suspect you really need better oven that can reach higher temperature and cook much faster (5 minutes or so) to get that nice crunchy texture.

Not really – have you ever actually tried? Because it doesn’t sound like it.

Making pizza dough takes maybe 20–25 minutes, if that. Add yeast to warm water, mix some flour and salt (plus garlic powder, dried oregano, dried basil, if desired) then tip it into the yeast/water, add a bit of olive oil, stir it with a spoon until it starts coming together, then knead it for 5–10 minutes while adding more flour until it becomes only slightly sticky. Then leave it to rise for 30–60 minutes until it’s doubled in size. Then punch it down and form it into the right shape before adding the toppings.

It’s not “a lot of work” by any stretch of the imagination. Nor is the temperature a huge problem, at least in Taiwan for the majority of the year – as long as it’s at least 20–25 °C, the dough will eventually rise within an hour or two at most, and for the several weeks of the year where it is a bit too cold, you can simply leave it in the oven or any other warm place.

2 Likes