Cooking pizza in a small Taiwanese oven

I got this one and it’s very good
https://www.google.com/search?q=yamasaki+oven&client=ms-android-sonymobile-rev1&prmd=isvn&sxsrf=ALeKk03RdqguOFwMyDsuL29DTqSoq8Dmrw:1625465633044&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwinn5uto8vxAhVoHKYKHZBNCGsQ_AUoAXoECAIQAQ&biw=418&bih=848&dpr=2.63#imgrc=2QIVGZAzDyhSAM

2 Likes

I’m so glad you don’t.
We would have to share our special betel nut vaccine with you then,
it’s that potent it can even kill off the Delta. :rofl:

1 Like

Not sure about the BN Vaccine. Seems to be a letter missing there . . . :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

nearly as good as the BLT vaccine

Pizza dough is really simple to make. Flour, salt, yeast, water. Measured to however many dough balls you desire. A couple mins to get it together, a few minutes more of kneading, and an hour or a bit to rest. If you prefer what I call “cracker style” pizza omit the yeast and just let the dough relax 5-10 mins after kneading and making into balls, and your good to go. There are millions of recipes online.

Cooking on a stone at highest temp will give best results. If cooking in a pan, Sicilian mamma style, then use yeast dough. Pan cooked can also be cooked at lower temps.

Less toppings is better for non-pan pizzas.

Personally I would do pan pizza in those small ovens as finding a stone that fits may be hard. Don’t forget to lightly oil the pan.

3 Likes

For sure. I always pan fry my dough to 3/4 finished then continue in the oven. Unless i have to rock slab, but my oven is too tiny for them.

If you pan fry them (i use no oil in the pan) you can freeze easily. Also good to dip in whatever sauces and pastes you like. I am on a hummus kick recently. Easy snack.

Pizza Rock creator has a good vid on how he & his wife researched pizza in Italy to find the best way to make it. You can find it on their website. If I recall, he doesn’t recommend wood-fired ovens.
And No, I’m not a franchisee or huge fan of their pizza. His story is interesting however.

I find pizza rock the only decent pizza that you can eat with delivery.

Pizza Rock I find to be hit and miss. I also find their pizza is dried out by the time it arrives at my house if I order delivery. I love their ice cream brownie dish but they often say they can’t make it after a certain time in the day.

Like how ice cream machines are always broken or cleaning at McDonald’s in the states…

9 times out of 10 anywhere spending that much effort is putting too much into marketing and this costs money that can be spent on quality ingredients. I found them ok as well, but nothing amazing to be honest. That said, much better can be made at home with an oven of at least a medium volume inside. Fairly easily. Thats just reality of wantingto eat the best vs wanting.to make mkney making food that isnt total shit. Still have respect for hem, but home cooking can nearly always out compete restaraunts if people care to do so.

Either way, as per op question. You can make amazing pizzas at home with small ovens (shape change isnt a problem…), absolutely. And save a ton of money while buying superior quality ingredients. Anyone willing to spend the time can do this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Continued from this thread. I bought a cast iron pizza “stone” and pizza peel recently in an attempt to improve my small-Taiwanese-oven pizza making. These are the initial results/mishaps.

I still need to work on my dough-stretching and transferring-to-the-oven skills. Even with semolina flour, doing that second part without the base sticking to something is a lot harder than I thought (hence the “mishaps”). :sweat_smile:

Dough recipe: from this video by Brian Lagerstrom, using a mixture of bread flour and organic all-purpose flour (no real reason – sometimes I use one, sometimes the other). It makes enough for two large bases, so usually I keep the second half of the dough in the fridge until a day or two later.

Pizza sauce recipe: Basically from there too. I upped the amounts of dried basil and oregano to compensate for my unsophisticated palate, added some dried rosemary, thyme, and black pepper not used in the original, added some fresh basil, rosemary, and oregano from my living room, threw in a few cloves of fresh garlic, and added a splash of unbearably hot home-made passion fruit/ghost pepper hot sauce because I didn’t have any chili flakes to hand and couldn’t be bothered washing the spice grinder. I like this recipe because it makes enough sauce for 8–9 pretty large pizzas, so I can portion it out into individual bags and freeze them for later.

Cheese: Mostly BelGioioso mozzarella with some ready-grated Anchor three-mix cheese, both from Costco. Probably not the best, admittedly, but hey, we’re in Taiwan.

Toppings: I want to try making Italian meatballs and/or sausage and freezing them for later use but haven’t had the time yet, and the parsley plant I bought a couple of weeks ago for the former is in the process of committing suicide. So mostly it’s been ready-made stuff from Costco. I generally use the Spanish tapas set (serrano ham, chorizo, and salchichon) because it’s convenient and works pretty well for me, or sometimes pulled pork or pulled chicken I’ve made. For the second attempt below I also used some chicken breast pieces I’d quickly made (flattened chicken breasts, coated in a simple rub of (I think) salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, and rosemary, then pan fried until done, adding a bit of soy sauce toward the end, then chopped into small pieces – I was happy with how this turned out and how it tasted on the pizza), and topped after cooking with some home-grown Thai basil because my sweet basil plants are taking ages to grow this year.

First attempt: This was only maybe my second time trying to make a round pizza base by hand stretching (previously I’ve used a rolling pin with the dough between two sheets of oiled parchment paper, aiming for a rectangular shape that better fits the oven and oven tray)…but it was initially turning out pretty well. Though I made the mistake of doing the final shaping of the dough and adding the toppings while it was on the peel, probably without enough semolina flour. This meant that transferring to the hot pizza stone was a nightmare because it wouldn’t come off the peel. I almost ended up with an ugly-looking calzone. The presentation didn’t end up great, but it tasted pretty alright. :man_shrugging:

Second attempt: I made and topped the dough on a silicone baking mat this time and used more semolina flour. It was still quite difficult to get it on and off the peel cleanly (as seen in the messy oven photo), but better than last time. I still need to work on my technique. It tasted pretty good though – of course things tend to taste better when you make them and this is a low bar to set, but I found it better than many of the pizzas I’ve had in restaurants in Taiwan/Asia. :sweat_smile:

Third attempt: Heading to the kitchen now, let’s see. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Just when I plan to make pizza with my boy tomorrow this thread bumps up. Amazing :astonished:

1 Like

You’ll need to post the results! :grin:

I’ve never done that successfully - for many years now I’ve used baking paper instead, cut to match around the pizza dough once it’s been stretched / rolled out.

1 Like

I cooked pizza in one of those 30 liter ovens. They are all right, probably better if you use a stone, but I just buy the pizza now because the restaurants do it better than I can hope for, for cheaper than I can do it.

Yeah, I might end up resorting to that after a few more attempts, but I’m going to try without first. :sweat_smile:

It would definitely be cleaner, but I’m not sure how much the layer of paper affects the heat transfer. And using parchment paper with cast iron always makes me hesitate a bit. I do it to get boules inside my Dutch oven, but I’m wary of the PFAS/PFOS-type chemicals they often use to coat the non-stick parchment paper and how they behave at high temperature. After an hour of baking inside a Dutch oven, that Kirkland parchment paper gets pretty fragile.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not really a cost-saving exercise – more a hobby, learning how to cook better, and knowing what goes in my food. I haven’t done the math precisely, but I think it works out slightly cheaper (and better/more satisfying, IMO) than ordering from a store.

The pizza dough and sauce are basically free to make at home (less than NT$10–15 per pizza for each, I’d say), but the toppings are quite expensive. I’m probably using something like NT$125 per pizza for the cheese and similar for the meat, for a total somewhere around NT$300–350 per pizza not including electricity and time (if I include my time, where I could be working, it doesn’t make sense at all, but that’s the case for most people cooking at home).

I’m not going to eat Pizza Hut or some garbage like that, and the pizza place I order from near me (Amore Pizza in Gongguan) is NT$585 for a 10.5-inch pizza or NT$750 for a 12-inch pizza for the one I get. I don’t really want to spend that much on a meal/two meals on a regular basis (so I don’t order it often). Doing it at home isn’t hugely cheaper, but then again it’s not really about saving money.

Dough sticks to metal peels easily. You have to be fast making the pizza and then transferring to peel and from peel to stone. Find a wooden peel and you have better results.

1 Like

I saw you writing and was hoping for some good advice haha.

Yeah, I won’t be making it on the peel again, that was a rookie mistake. I did think about buying a wooden one instead…but ended up going with the metal. I don’t remember why – probably that it was cheaper, lighter, and thinner (this isn’t something I’m going to be doing every day).