Cool Fusion Instrumental

For the musicians here I figured I would post this. I know this is pretty strange music but incredible musicianship.

Great bass solo! I am blown away by everyone in this lineup. Gambale is a true pioneer for shred and improvisation, but this is a VERY Holdsworthesque sounding song which I might add reflects Allan’s good work.

This isn’t pop music or even listenable to many, but I think this is a cool tune.

Rock on

Nice. Hey Gifthorse, did you catch either the Eiji Kadota show or the Scott Henderson Show? Scott is in the same league as Gambale, and a bit more aggressive in his playing. He absolutely tore it up at the Riverside Live House in Ximendeng. Although these kinds of shows still aren’t so common in Taiwan, we’re getting more and more good stuff lately.

Dude, I rarely go out. I would like to, but I am fresh off the boat still. You know been here a year.

I didn’t know of either of those guys. I mean I know who Scott Henderson is. I have seen a clinic before at GC by him, he is also a good player. He was kind of ripping on Gambale when I saw him. They both were teaching at MIT in Cali.

Actually, I dig that egghead stuff but it can only be in limited doses. In the Gambale instrumental I dug the overall chord progressions. Very Holdsworthesque. But the bass, and drum interaction is ridiculous. As for Gambale’s solo. To me that wasn’t the shining point.

Not because he isn’t incredible. But because the chord work he was doing prior to his distorted solo is unbelievably musical.

Plus his tone SUCKS for distortion. As for Henderson being somehow more aggressive. I think he just plays different. Actually in the bigger scope of guitar Gambale is a much more important player. You know because he mastered ‘economy picking’ or ‘sweep picking’. But he has taken it to a new level. Technically for ‘shred’, few players can even be mentioned in the same sentence with Frank Gambale. I mean it isn’t that he can shred–its what he can improv OVER. And how perfect his mastery of that economy picking is.

I can sweep pick arpeggios, etc. I can’t do the economy picking though. I alternate, and hammer on pull off to sound legato.

Some of his stuff is cool, but mostly when he solos it starts to sound like a video game from the 80s… But I know his contribution to technique for electric–or any guitar really.

But clearly in that instrumental his shining points were more chordal, than wankage… God that tone he has for the solo is like HORRID.

Not a fan of modern fusion, either, but great playing all around on this track!
:notworthy:

Not bad! The bass solo is very nice. If you want good musicianship, you really can’t go wrong with fusion. I remember during my hard rock days, when my friends would go crazy over a guitar or drum solo, sometimes I would just shrug and think about the insane stuff I heard while raiding my older brothers fusion records. Tight stuff like this:

Or groovin’ stuff like this with good solos mixed in:

George Duke died yesterday. I’m bummed out to hear that. I believe he was getting warmed up with a good comeback in recent years as this song shows. He could and did do it all.

That funky drum groove is so nice.

1 Like

Wah Wah Watson and Herbie Hancock. Some nice funk.

1 Like

Reference material to accompany the MC.

1 Like

Weather Report “Birdland.” This song got famous some years ago (not this live version). I remember playing it in band.