"Cool" slang

I’ve been asked to teach some “cool” slang words on TV, things that one wouldn’t normally see in a textbook, like “I am SO not going to see that movie”, or “You want to ask me about my blind date last night? Don’t even go there”… Stupid stuff like that. Any other suggestions?

A wise fellow might peruse Urban Dictionary. However fairly warned be thee - this is not a site that is safe to regard during employment hours.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/ :nsfw:

peevish.co.uk/slang/links.htm

A bit Brit-centric, but let’s face it, North American slang just doesn’t cut the mustard.

Your ass is grass and I am a lawnmower.
I like you a lot (“lot” said in retard voice).
Okedokey
cockblock someone
as useless as tits on a bull
It’s on!
Don’t tase me, bro!
Sweet!
Oh, HAIL no!
butterface
chill
dawg
Don’t leave me hangin’

Some of these are actually expressions more than slang

Explain how Americans can’t say c*nt and the rest of us sound weirdly insincere saying mother fucker.

HG

I am SO not going there…

I am SO not going there…[/quote]

Sounds like a great idea for a class. NOT!

I am SO not going there…[/quote]

Sounds like a great idea for a class. NOT![/quote]

Well if you can pull it off, more power to ya!

The use of shizzle. And then subsequent development of fo sheezy ma neezy. Try to use honkizzle instead of nizzle for explanatory easy Maonizzle.

Emo and all associated emo bashing language. Discussions of emo butt rock are best avoided.

The no homo sentence ender.

Use of whatever. Whatever I do what I want! I killed six baby seals.
Do not touch the phrase whatever jams your clam.

[quote=“mike_rophonechecker”]
Use of whatever. Whatever I do what I want! I killed six baby seals.
[/quote]

There is a fine episode of Southpark to illustrate this.

(I taught a successful series of lessons on ‘talking about the future’ using the two ‘Cartman Wants a Wii’ episodes, with only slight editing. HUGELY motivating for students.)

Pure dead barry, but, that, likesay!

[quote=“mike_rophonechecker”]The use of shizzle. And then subsequent development of fo sheezy ma neezy. Try to use honkizzle instead of nizzle for explanatory easy Maonizzle.
[/quote]
The man asked for cool slang.

[quote=“naijeru”][quote=“mike_rophonechecker”]The use of shizzle. And then subsequent development of fo sheezy ma neezy. Try to use honkizzle instead of nizzle for explanatory easy Maonizzle.
[/quote]
The man asked for cool slang.[/quote]
Wazzzzzup?

Slang is so subjective. American slang sounds stupid when Brits use it. I can ‘blend’ in Manchester and Glasgow, up to a point, but then class and accent kicks in. Evn though I was born in Manchester, I sound like a tard, dropping my h’s and going ‘awwwright ah kid? Eh? Buzzin!’.

Slang is much more than a lexical construct, so you’d have to choose your items carefully.

That is so tight

like that is so awesome

Ain’t
y’all
fixin’ to…
'nanner (as in banana)
My “dogs” are killing me. (feet)
barf
heave
upchuck
My “ride” is outside. (car/vehicle)
sweet (“cool”)

And from the US urban populace:
crib
sick (as in good)
trippin’
draws
saggin’
wife beater (muscle shirts)

[quote=“mike_rophonechecker”]The use of shizzle. And then subsequent development of fo sheezy ma neezy. Try to use honkizzle instead of nizzle for explanatory easy Maonizzle.

Emo and all associated emo bashing language. Discussions of emo butt rock are best avoided.

The no homo sentence ender.

[/quote]

I guess I’m so far away from “cool” (or youth) because I have never heard any of these! I’m still getting used to hearing “my bad”.

Snap is another new one for me, meaning cool.

It’s not your fault you were given this assignment, but I don’t see how a class on slang could be useful unless the students’ goal is to amuse their foreign friends. As an old man of 28 I don’t attempt to use slang even outside of my age group. Using slang well in a completely foreign language must be nearly impossible.

Slang is separated into different age, peer, national and ethnic groups, so you’re going to have to decide which sub-culture you want to teach. American hip-hop slang? Hoody-wearing snifflenosed London chav-speak? How do the kool kids talk in Australia? South Africa?

I’m glad I don’t have your job : )

the suit is black!..pause…NOTTTTTTTT!

:discodance: :discodance: :discodance:

You go girl!