Cool things in Taiwan

you don’t have access to 7 11? ice green tea is easy to make. i bought some loose jasmin green tea from quan lian, very cheap. let it brew in the fridge for a couple of hours, the result is awesome.

1 Like

Don’t know why people love those breakfast places so much. I feel awful for the entire day if I start the day in one of those places.

The coolest thing about Taiwan for me is being able to live in a chaotic and extremely convenient city, with many of the advantages already mentioned in this thread, but being close enough to incredible mountains and nature that you can see them from your home and office windows.

My relatives treat me like royalty when I visit.

versus like sheet in tbe U.S.?

all :ear::ear:

No the US treats me fine in most regards.

Used to hate them and then got addicted for a while. They have a paste on the bread or something that took me a while to get hooked off. If I eat once again I will need to eat the next 5 following days, so I avoid the best I can now.

They taste great, don’t get me wrong, but they’re so oily and unhealthy. Breakfast is the meal that starts your whole day, so I feel like it’s the most important meal to get right. I feel great while I’m eating at these places, but then I just feel sluggish for the rest of the day. If I eat at one of those places for breakfast and then eat typical takeout Taiwanese food for lunch, I’ll get a big tummy ache and a serious case of the shits.

1 Like

I have seen that guy. Much faster on the trail than me…

1 Like

The dreaded white grease

1 Like

DESPITE THE LACK OF SUPPORT/INCLUSION FROM THE WHO TAIWAN’S RESPONSE TO THE CORONAVIRUS CRISIS HAS BEEN SUPERB AND YOU KNOW FUCK CHINA BECAUSE YAY US

Oh wait. Sorry, wrong thread/site. We can’t have nice/cool things anymore, can we?

Cool things… the weather is cool today. I like the weather.

it’s supposed to be margarine but somehow it doesn’t feel like it. imo margarine is worse than butter everywhere in the world. but especially in taiwan with all the rancid, re-re-recycled oil scandals in the past. i wouldn’t use that stuff myself. but i do like the taste of taiwanese breakfast…paradox much?

1 Like

I think they put addictive in that thing. Once I eat it I have to eat for a few days in a row. So I never eat in a Taiwanese breakfast place if I haven’t eaten there in a long while.

The bread comes without margarine/butter here, they use a paste, and it is kind of sweet. It comes in a huge container and it is kinda transparent. Those Mei er Mei places have it on the counter, I saw when used to buy.

Why is this in Cool things in Tw ? That is so very nasty
So.very.nasty.

3 Likes

That stuff is guaranteed to gunk up your arteries. Trans fats that stay solid at 100C. That’s literally the worst thing about Taiwan. :grin:

It makes me want to barf. I scrape it off if I happen to encounter it. Usually I avoid it by doing things like never getting a sandwich at a Taiwanese breakfast place.

2 Likes

With all due respect, parrot lady, that picture is that crappy sweet butter like they put in the middle of those grotesque pineapple buns

The stuff on the breakfast sandwiches is just the local commercial analogue of mayonnaise, but it’s really light on the eggs and heavy on the lousy vegetable oil (and sweetened with fructose) which is what gives it that weird translucence.

Not to mitigate the grossness or anything (I for one kind of like it, but that’s just me).

4 Likes

1 Like