Corned Beef - Hash and other recipes

I was at the Diner yesterday evening, quite late and with a friend of the proprietor. It seems that at a customers request they have bought in some corned beef, and are not sure what to do with it. Now I love corned beef and will happily sit and eat it out of a tin, cold, infront of the TV but am not much of a cook.

Anyway they served me some corned beef hash, which was quite bland and VERY dry and asked what I thought, so I told them. Then they asked me how to fix it and I had no idea.

Please can you share your recipes for corned beef hash, and anything else you do other than sandwhiches or eating it out of the tin like me?

Ta

Edgar

OK I found this one on the interweb

Will it work? You guys are not very helpful today…=-(

[/quote]
Calico Corned Beef Hash
2 cups potatoes, cooked and peeled* – chopped fine
3 to 4 Tb vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups cooked corned beef – ground
1/2 cup cooked carrot – finely chopped
2 teaspoons dried rosemary – crumbled
2 tablespoons parsley – finely chopped
salt
fresh ground pepper
1 cup beef broth (corned beef cooking broth)
[/quote]

*The chef’s secret for a good hash is to use the flesh of freshly baked potatoes.
Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet, add the chopped onion, and cook over low heat, stirring, until straw-colored. Mix the corned beef with the potatoes and carrot, scrape the cooked onion into the mixture, stir in the herbs, a light sprinkling of salt and pepper, and the corned beef cooking broth. Turn the hash mixture into the skillet, but don’t mash it down. Cook over the lowest possible heat about 40 minutes.
With a spatula, loosen the hash around the edges. Make a deep crease across the hash at right angles to the handle. Tip the skilletand foldthis half of the hash over its lower half. Loosen the bottom with the spatula to be sure it comes free of the pan. Hold a hot platter over the pan, invert the skillet and platter together. Let the hash drop out like an omelet - it should be well browned and crusty on top.
Recipe from “The LL Bean Book of NEW New England Cookery”

My wife started to dig corned beef hash when she had it during our CNY trip to San Francisco. She had it quite a few times in a diner near the hotel. After we got back to HK, she ordered it in a restaurant in Central. All they brought her was chopped up, warm corned beef. When she asked where the potato was, the filipino waitress insisted that corned beef hash doesn’t have potatoes in it. :loco:

Last night’s had potato and onion but was just too dry, maybe that is what the beef broth is for above?

Would say so. Nice recipe, what’s corned beef? Mince?

Add some butter and milk to the potatoes before mashing, then add the Corned Beef. Serve with baked beans for best effect.

Poor bastards. Is this what you have to eat when you don’t know what stovies are? :laughing:

I just eat it out of the can warmed up. So, :idunno: a proper way to cook it. In fact I wouldn’t even know what meat to use. Cornbeef is like spam to me, don’t know the meat, don’t wanna know what meat it is, but it sho tastes good.

If they ever want to put grits on the menu, let me know. I would love to teach them how to make it. And MTK can vouch for my grit cooking :smiley:

I always believed that corned beef was a cut of meat made from the neck of the beef critter. It is salted and soaked with pickling spice for a couple of weeks. I think the salt is actually potassium nitrate. I haven’t researched it and I am only trying to recall some long past experiements with making some from a cow I butchered. I bought the pack of pickling ingredients so I just don’t recall for sure.
Cooking is easy if you have the right cut of meat that is properly cured. Boil the hell out of it until it is certainly cooked through and through. Then bake it until you can cut it and the threads of meat pull away from each other. After baking, it should pretty much fall apart into nice threads of “pulled meat”. If you want to slice for sandwiches, simply refrigerate and then cut across the grain into sandwich slices.
Another favorite is to take the finished beef and drop it into a large pot of cut up cabbage leaves. Big chunks of leaves. Great corned beef and cabbage.
The canned stuff sucks. Hash does have finely diced potatoes.
A friend that owns a local bistro invited me to teach him how to make corned beef on rye. I baked up some good rye bread and he found what was labeled as corned beef. We opened it and it was simply knock off spam. YUCK! He inquired around and told me that such was not available here but maybe things have changed. I hope so. I would dearly love a nice big chunk of properly “corned” beef".
Damn! Now I made myself hungry and have to go get another soft taco but it wont be the same.

Enigma, shame I should know that as every March in Chicago we have plenty of resturants serving CornedBeef for St. Patrick’s Day. Oh the Irish in me is ashamed :blush:

MODERATOR’s NOTE: Forumosa does not condone the use of hash. – DB

Oops, wrong forum.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]MODERATOR’s NOTE: Forumosa does not condone the use of hash. – DB

Oops, wrong forum.
[/quote]

THere you go again. Oversensitive moderating. :smiley:

Guys, thanks for the tips and help!

DB, why not is fresh weed really that much better?

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Guys, thanks for the tips and help!

DB, why not is fresh weed really that much better?[/quote]

In Brownies, yes. :smiley:

I really rather wondered about your comments concerning corned beef, what with all those lovely shocks of red hair. I knew you were Irish at first glance. :wink: