Corned beef in a can

I bought some corned beef in a can at one of the Filipino stores in Taipei today.

I’ve not opened it yet. What should I expect? (don’t just say “corned beef”…)

And what’s up with corned beef anyway? How do you corn something?

Corned beef … it’s popular in the Philippines … it’s salted beef [quote]The “corn” in “corned beef” refers to the “corn” or grains of coarse salts used to cure it.[/quote]

Corned beef is simply a cut of beef that has been soaked in special salt for about 2 weeks, then baked. In the can that you bought, you have no idea of the cut or safety standards of letting a piece of meat sit for 2 weeks. PM me and I will relate how to DIY. It’s not hard. I also bought one of the tins like you have. I fried it it with a little oil. I also chopped some of yesterdays baked potatoes with some butter and garlic. Mix it together and it’s called corned beef hash. It will keep well. Use a big helping with some scrambled eggs and toast. Enjoy

I grew up eating corned beef and cabbage, and it’s not bad. Corned beef is also what you find on a Reuben sandwich, and if you smoke it, add spices and slice it for sandwiches, you get pastrami.

Corned beef in a can is often a different kind of thing, though, isn’t it? In the UK it’s a chopped meat product sometimes also known as bully beef. Quite different from what you’d put on a Reuben sandwich, I would have thought.

I bought corned beef in cans made in brazil and they were excellent. Argentinian too as I recall. Both excellent. Very good between slices of bread.

Well, Reubens come with either corned beef, or pastrami, so you might be used to Reubens with pastrami.

Corned beef from the deli is a different thing to corned beef in a can. I think in Yankland they call corned beef chipped beef or something like that.
Here’s a block of corned beef. Yummy!

Not too healthy is it? …

The bad: This food is high in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium …
The good: This food is a good source of Vitamin B12, and a very good source of Protein and Selenium.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]Not too healthy is it? …

The bad: This food is high in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium … [/quote]

Especially the sodium. Most corned beef hash is WAY too salty.

But, my mom makes a killer corned beef hash with a grinder like this.

Insert chunks of fresh corned beef (canned? no fucking way), onions and potatoes. Grind. Fantastic. Even better, fry up the leftovers the next morning with some eggs. :lick:

The commercially available substitutes (in cans or restaurants) never come close. And are always way too salty.

But, I’ll be curious to hear your report after you try it.

do cows’ ears count as beef?

and note the high selenium content: selenium, a very rare element biologically speaking, is most highly concentrated in a cow’s hooves. yum.

(it is actually necessary for the manufacture of the proteins glutathione preroxidase, a class of antioxidant proteins, and for thioredoxin reductase, which assists in the manufacture of thyroid hormones)

Well, Reubens come with either corned beef, or pastrami, so you might be used to Reubens with pastrami.[/quote]I’m not used to Reubens at all! But from the sound of it, the corned beef on a Reuben is quite different from the corned beef I know, which is the thing Sandman posted a picture of.

An article on Wikipedia discuss the two or more kinds of “corned beef” there are in the world.

the thing i know as corned beef is a slab of salted preserved beef, with a peculiar marble sheen to the cut surface. as DB says, if it had pepper on the outside it would be a lot like pastrami.

the other beef product (in a can) i know as bully beef, a lot like SPAM.

Agreed. Corned beef needn’t be a nasty canned concoction. It can be very good and natural.

Corned Beef and Cabbage

4-5 lb. corned beef brisket
6 carrots
6 med. potatoes
1 head green cabbage
1 tsp. pickling spices tied into a cheese cloth
1 tsp dried mustard

Wash, and trim beef of excess fat if needed. Peel the carrots and cut into 2" chunks. Place beef, carrots, spices and mustard in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with cold water. Gradually bring to a simmer and let it cook very gently, not boiling. Let it cook at a gentle simmer for 1 hours, skimming the scum as it rises to the surface.

While the corned beef is simmering, peel the potatoes and cut in half. Discard the outer cabbage leaves, core and cut into quarters. Add to the beef and carrots.

Continue cooking at a gentle simmer for another 1 to 2 hours or until the meat and vegetables are soft and tender.

Remove from liquid. Cut the corned beef into thin slices. Serve with the vegetables and plenty of butter for the potatoes and yellow mustard for the corned beef. Oh…and a side of soda bread would be a good accompaniment as well.

Serve leftover slices of corned beef on slices of rye bread with some swiss cheese and mustard, heated of course!
link

That looks awesome! Are you serving?

He would have to corn the beef himself.

It’s not that hard, I cured some pork on my own, as you can’t get it here. Next time I’ll use a bit more salt though as it didn’t get quite salty enough.
Corn Beef in a can isn’t exactly nice though, although my GF seems to like it fried in N.Y. Bagles…