Coronavirus crisis open thread - March

I would report to nearest major hospital. They will have people out front you can explain your symptoms to.

1 Like

En Chu Kong is the designated hospital for Corona testing in Sanxia.

2 Likes

The responsible thing to do is get tested, or at least report in and let the hospital decide.

Can’t deny that I have a pretty big fear of losing my job if tested positive. Imagine being the person responsible for the closure of an entire school and the stigma if recovered and return to work a couple weeks later.

Can employers fire someone for testing positive? This is a legit fear / concern. I’ve got kids, a family that depends on me.

2 Likes

This may sound crazy amidst all of the anxiety, fear and panic, but I am actually really hopeful and optimistic about the future. I am hopeful this is going to last a lot shorter than people realize for a couple of reasons:

1. developing tropical countries are the least affected by the virus. Theoretically, they should be experiencing what Italy is experiencing now. Huge populations with congested homes and cities, poor healthcare systems and with nowhere near the resources and know-how of more developed nations.

Coronaviruses hate heat and humidity. I am optimistic that a combination of the lockdowns/quarantines combined with the warmer temperatures of spring and summer will make a dramatic difference.

1. We live in a time when medicine and technology move at a rapid pace, and it is moving faster than ever due to this crisis. I am confident and hopeful that there will be a safe and effective treatment in 3-6 months, and a vaccine in 12 months.

This doesn’t mean that the virus will be eradicated or that society will be suddenly return to like before. At this juncture, it is about buying time and not to overwhelm healthcare systems. But life will be return back to “normal” quicker than people think. Things just feel bad now because Europe and the US are in the early stages of containment, like China was not long ago. People are eventually going to get used to preventative measures, and countries are going to start normal life again…with the caveat being that employees will be doing rotational vacation/sick leaves when needed.

2 Likes

Wait, what? Are you suggesting that it might be unwise to take medical advice from Donald Trump?

Interesting post about chloroquine, by the way:
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/03/20/chloroquine-past-and-present

Drinking Tonic water supposed to be good to fight malaria.

1 Like

@SuiGeneris From Taiwan CDC.

Please wear a surgical mask immediately and call 1922 or local health bureau if you have been to or resided in the epidemic region affected by the novel coronavirus in the past 14 days, have been identified as a contact of an infected person or have developed fever or respiratory symptoms. When you call for help, please seek medical attention as instructed and provide doctors with detailed travel history and occupational exposure.

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Category/QAPage/LnqBFJsulw6fW3nswc04Yw

12 Likes

People are seriously thick.

A friend posted a photo of Mother’s Day, he and a dozen others crammed into a dining room with Gran.

Brilliant decision making that.

I’d go with all the business people not needing that “second phone” as they are stuck at home with the family.
:wink:

1 Like

How about giving a reward to people ‘reporting that results in a prosecution’ of anyone on the lamb from quarantine.

1 Like

If I knew someone who had to be on quarantine due to suspect symptoms/contacts and I found him strolling around, if report his face against my surgical-gloves-wearing fist.

1 Like

That would probably scatter virus particles around.

Take care and best of luck! Thank you for being responsible, awesome!

6 Likes

Stop putting everyone and yourself at risk. Go get tested and seek medical help. Even if it isn’t corona you sound sick and need help. People can get infected even if they take precautions and i’m sure putting your life at risk for the sake of keeping your job isn’t worth it.

I seriously doubt they’re going to fire you. Even if they did fire you, I imagine you could easily find a job elsewhere once you’ve recovered.

Anyway, you can’t do anything at all for your family if you aren’t alive and well, so see the doctor first and sort the rest out later.

6 Likes

Well that was interesting.
Called 1922 four times.
1st call: press 6 for English. Put automatic hold with seriously depressing piano music. After 5 min the line went dead.

2nd call and 3rd calls: same as the first.

4th call: after pressing 6 for English and waiting 5 min again a guy answered speaking Chinese. I asked him if he could speak English. He told me his English wasn’t that good and to hold while he connected me to someone who had better English. On hold for 3 min, depressing piano music again, then the line went dead. Disconnected a 4th time.

15 Likes

This is the same evaluation every country is assessing. Again it’s the individual and society and the government should give subsidies for the greater good.

To the big companies that probably have some off-shore funds.

That’s not what has happened. Small business have been offered support.

Nobody wants this, but the price of not being vigilant to the whole is too terrible

Not in Taiwan. No one offered anything yet. Oh wait, 800 NT$ coupons to spend at the night market, at stands that don’t pay taxes as they should.

1 Like