Coronavirus crisis open thread - March

“It feels so awesome to buy all the masks! I didn’t leave a single mask for the Americans!”

She didn’t say that. They bought a lot of masks, not sure they need to be crucified or anything.

Technically WHO is either an acronym or an initialism, depending on pronunciation.

A pedant writes…

1 Like

Damn coronavirus is trying to take out John Prine.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/coronavirus-prine-1.5514945?cmp=rss

I love that guy’s music. Hope he’ll be okay.

1 Like

Yeah- ‘Feefa’ is, but we don’t say ‘eyeock’- though maybe we should start pronouncing IOC as ‘yuck’: “This report from the Yuck today…”
How come Taiwan isn’t called "The Rock’? ROC!ROC!

It is.

2 Likes

And last lovely thing, an “expert” interviews at RT predicts that the lockdown will last a YEAR. Not funny, it is not April 1st yet…

Right now it is so difficult to even try to tell when this plague will turn… and the economic damage is unimaginable…

Worst part is that China will benefit greatly from the disaster, come on top both economically and in terms of prestige, both politically and ideological. Its pushing of dictatorial solutions will be justified and promoted more.

1 Like

“Rolling” lockdowns, with easing off on restrictions and then clamping them down again if clusters appear, are indeed quite likely for a year or more - until a vaccine appears or, god help us, there’s enough herd immunity from people catching it (and the resulting death toll).

1 Like

Not really, they make stuff no one can buy, except masks and medical stuff. And probably plans are made to shift the supply chain.

The worst part is that dictatorships like Russia and China love the excuse of the virus going on to exercise powers beyond normally justified. And the longer this lasts, the more power they gain, both at home and abroad, plus their “enemies” /those that oppose less stringiest measures and rule of law application of such measures/ become weaker and weaker.

Don’t forget the new dictatorships! Hungary’s Orban and Israel’s Netanyahu seem pretty interested in joining that club.

1 Like

That is also what happened in the 1918 epidemic.
I’m hopeful with better testing and monitoring any further lockdowns won’t be so severe or widespread.

1 Like

Damn man as of today I know somebody whose aunt passed away from this shit back in the states. This sucks.

3 Likes

My sister-in-law has it. Whole family is quarantined, they sent her home with meds. She seems to be getting better, but slowly.

5 Likes

I take the green line: Ximen to Xindian. It’s around 98%. The only ones not wearing have been manual laborers and grubby high school kids.

How so? If ‘undetected’ you really don’t know. It’s assuming.

1 Like

Damn! I hope she pulls through.

3 Likes

That guy is a fucking psycho. Sincerely hope he catches the virus and dies from it.

1 Like

Thanks, she’s tough, she will.

1 Like

I was on the mrt and of course the only person that wasn’t wearing a mask in my vicinity was a foreigner dude. I have been caught out a few times and also my family without masks but its not a good look when the foreigner is the only one not wearing one. IMHO.

2 Likes