Coronavirus crisis open thread - March

Maybe this belongs in WTF news…

Positive patient escapes from isolation room in hospital. Picked up by family. Whereabouts unknown. WTF.

Indeed, it is new territory but generally speaking, people can become infected again:

Does anyone know if the coronavirus will turn milk sour?

This is one I’ve been worrying about lately too…

The propaganda news channels, oops I mean KMT channel, was saying last night that because humidity is so high here in Taiwan, we’re safe from the virus.
My mother-in-law actually bothered translating this with much enthusiasm, which was sadly dampened by my less than positive response of “that doesn’t make any *** sense whatsoever, what ** are they spouting?”

Sometimes man…

It’s like the secretary at my new job, who insists we mustn’t eat raw foods because of the virus, but doesn’t wear a mask throughout the building or elevator, and continues to chat in the elevator. Ummm k.

2 Likes

And another American asshat puts others at risk!

And pro basketball players are also asshats!

There may be a grain of truth in that…

Maybe it explains like we aren’t seeing a huge outbreak in South America… it’s really warm there and anything south of Brazil is in summer anyways. I mean even Australia isn’t terrible. Perhaps it’s bad in Europe because it’s cold there…

Panama is now 33/34 degrees and has about the same number of cases.

Yes, heat kills coronavirus, like 100 degrees applied for 3 minutes to infected surfaces.

South American countries that have not reported cases is because they haven’t tested. They do not know because they do not want to know… or have not the means to know.

4 Likes

I have a family member flying back here from London as we speak because of this idiocy. She’s a university student, but still, worth missing some school than being subjected to the poor management (and probable racism) of London…

1 Like

Not for the first time…Translator !

Well, from my understanding the coronavirus is basically common cold, but this variant tends to lead to complications (which is what kills).

And as you know those things tend to be less in the summer, because I think the reason we get cold/flu is because our immune system gets shocked more in cold weather (especially going from hot indoors to cold outdoors) giving the virus a chance to take over. Which is why we can’t vaccinate against a cold or cure it. It either runs its course or you develop complications…

While it’s not entirely clear why virus may be seasonal (it is less seasonal than flu actually ), it’s thought that it’s because people spend more time indoors or outdoors (and therefore vary in degree of contact ) and also that viruses are susceptible to heat and humidity.

1 Like

Not really, no. There are a bunch of coronaviruses; seven of them affect humans. Four types cause mild problems, “like the common cold.” Another two are SARS and MERS. And 2019-nCoV, which is so much in the news these days, is the new kid on the block.

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/epidemiology/epidemiology-fact-sheets/coronaviruses/

2 Likes

But remember the SARS problem wasn’t that large scale compared to this virus, and I think it kinda blew up around late 2002 or something, and pretty much wound down around mid 2003.

Same family really, but Sars was more deadly but less contagious, making it less dangerous.
The host was rapidly simply dead or too sick to walk around and infect others. Easier to be found by the heatlh care system also.

1 Like

perhaps the virus evolve to be less deadly so it could infect more people?

Like flu/cold isn’t too deadly but is everywhere. But Ebola on the other hand kills so fast that it couldn’t spread beyond a village.

SARS was probably eliminated because of control measures and limits on transmission, not warmer weather.

SARS did not die of natural causes. It was killed by extremely intense public health interventions in mainland Chinese cities, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand, Canada and elsewhere.

The link below also spends time discussion the chance that warmer weather will help. Summing up: “The size of the change is expected to be modest, and not enough to stop transmission on its own.”

3 Likes

Can foreigners register to have masks delivered from the government?