Coronavirus crisis open thread - March

I see no mention of the equipment being new…uhm…uhmmmmmmm…

Read the same about a woman who’s husband died and it took a week for them to come get the body

The Chinese are vastly more efficient

So much so that some have claimed bodies were wrapped up and taken to be
Cremated
When they were not yet bodies

1 Like

It’s interesting they mention the plasma of recovered patients there. I don’t think I’ve previously read anything about that being attempted. (Hopefully they’re not just testing it out for the first time on the Italians… :grimacing:)

3 Likes

There was a case a few weeks ago where the woman recovered due to stem cells.
Seems to have not been in the news much.

President Bolsonaro says that he tested negative for COVID-19:

2 Likes

Is there any chance the coronavirus saw Trump, said “What the hell is that? I’m smarter than that thing, and I only have 30,000 base pairs!”, and then committed whatever the viral version of apoptosis is?

2 Likes

What the fuck am i gonna do?

2 Likes

Back on Mar 10, the US had just 994 cases, I made a prediction saying that we would see total cases reach 2000 by Sunday.

Well, I was wrong, it’s now just 8 away from reaching 2000 already and Saturday barely began here in Taiwan…The case number is now doubling every 2 days in the US.

If by Wednesday or before that the total case number in the US reaches 6000 as math suggests it would, it means the government and the public still haven’t done enough to flatten the curve.

Yes, it’s great most sporting events have been postponed, and many TV shows now have to tape without an audience, still it isn’t going to be enough, not when the virus has spread so far.

On those talk shows, when the camera pans around, none of the staffs are wearing a mask. In an enclosed studio that’s just not safe enough. People need to be more aware…

There’s also this calculation…

That was written on Mar 12, so if by the end of March we still reaches 66,000, at which point the hospitals definitely would have been overwhelmed long before then, the world would be pretty much fracked.

2 Likes

Trump live conference in 15 minutes.
Expected to declare national emergency to open up gates of more power to make snap decisions as related to that sheety-beer-virus

Trump clearly doesn’t give a flying fuck about the premiership!

I don’t know, but I had to look up apoptosis.

1 Like

I read it as apoptart. I like them.

4 Likes

This article claims that Taiwan is vulnerable because we aren’t testing enough people.

I mean is that low? I guess compared to South Korea it is, but should we ramp up testing at 50 total cases?

1 Like

i was looking forward to the quarantine here and watch some sports. Now I’m so bored.

go do a 環島 :bike:

1 Like

[quote=“hansioux, post:1698, topic:189162”]
There’s also this calculation…

Doubling every two days and we’re at 64,000 by March 24 Taiwan time. Every three days and we’re at 64,000 by March 29.

1 Like

from sFGate the bay area Chronicle newspaper online version

2 Likes

You are only looking at one variable, when several exist. Yes the number of known infections could be as you describe because of the exponential rise, it also could be the flooding the market with test kits and infections are better detected.

One metric is to correlate deaths at around 2% to known infections, which doesn’t give a forward thinking number but at least that many should be known. In the case of Italy, with 1,266 deaths, there should be around 60,000 cases. Which is not even close, which indicates out of control state in Italy.

USA with 41 deaths should have at least 2000 cases, which is close. But as mentioned earlier, 5 million test kits should have gone out by now. I do expect the numbers to rise significantly. Due to better detection.

As you have noted other variables, like people taking it seriously (they didn’t in Italy) also need to be factored in to your doubling every 3 days calculation, people washing hands, not hugging and not gathering in crowds.

It likely well into the high tens of thousands there , they just haven’t been able to test people. There’s a lag like Italy before you see lots of people getting really sick and expiring.