Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

There’s a “Least Cases” option.

There’s also a north south divide, could climate be a factor?

What happened in Rhode Island? Those are raw numbers right? Maybe because it’s so urban.

Some more info
https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

This too…
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

I posted this a while back:

Climate could be a factor, but you’d expect the warmer States to have fewer cases.

The fluctuations looked seasonal though. I doubt local mask wearing norms varied much over time, for example.

https://cspicenter.org/blog/waronscience/why-covid-19-is-here-to-stay-and-why-you-shouldnt-worry-about-it/

4 Likes

Excellent read. He seems to overlook people don’t expect most viruses can be outright eradicated, like flu for example. I think people are going to want to deal with most restrictions less and less including the need for vaccination as he says, if what he says pans out. I agree we’re bound to slide into some kind of equilibrium, with it becoming more and more like the common cold sooner or later.

3 Likes

In the newest episode of the Delta Flyers podcast, which rewatches episodes of Star Trek: Voyager, hosted by actors Garret Wang and Robert Duncan McNeill, who played Ensign Harry Kim and Lt. Tom Paris on Voyager, they read a letter from a listener in Honduras.

At the start of the podcast, Wang, who is deeply touched by the letter, read it on-air, which detailed Angel Castile’s ordeal in the COVID-ward. Him and other patients who developed pneumonia due to COVID had trouble even walking to the bathroom, let alone to get to the window and look outside. All their electronic devices were taken away from them, but Angel was lucky to still have his phone and charger undiscovered. He listened to the podcast to get through the boredom, fear and anxiety.

For the patients having real difficulty breathing, but not ill enough for the ICU, they had to wear an oxygen mask, which Angel describes as torture. He recounts witnessing 3 other patients who were stable due to the oxygen mask, but had a panic attack induced by the oxygen mask, ripped off the mask, and when the medical staff try to subdue them and put the oxygen mask back on, they started fighting the staff until their ran out of oxygen and died of a heart attack.

And that’s only for patients with what they describe as having “moderate symptoms”.

It’s truly heart breaking that so many people and their loved ones the world over are suffering through COVID-19.

2 Likes

And in NZ it keeps going up - 62 new cases today.

I’ve been saying that since early last year.

All the strains of coronavirus are probably dangerous unless you get infected when young.

SpaceX designs, manufactures and launches advanced rockets and spacecraft.
They are affected by #covid-19 in two ways.

There’s no perfect name for a concentration camp… Wait…“Wellcamp.”

3 Likes

“fit for purpose”, eh? Machine gun nests? Electrified barbed wire?

The interesting thing is that it is “dedicated”. It has, and will have, no other purpose. It’s a vast money-sink, and will presumably be used for a very long time. You don’t build “dedicated facilities” if you expect to not need them a few months later.

The name goes back to 1869 and was bestowed by the Railways as a Construction Camp which was located near a Well.

In recent years a Private Airport, mainly for Cargo, has been built and does handle International Cargo flights (Cathay and Singapore). The owners then offered land for the Quarantine camp, which is what the announcement is about. There is a flurry of them at present (3-4 have been announced) and just how many actually come to fruition remains to be seen as Australia has said that it will open the borders at 70-80% Fully vaccinated which at current rates could be by the end of 2021.

I hear viruses can be inactivated through incineration. :sunglasses:

Maybe they can market them as “all inclusive” resorts?

1 Like

The one that they have been using, at Howard Springs, just outside of Darwin, is a Camp formerly owned by a Mining Company which was unused as the Mining had ceased (Mines come and go up there, driven by prices) and from what I have seen of photos etc is much like the Cabins you see in Camping Parks. For Quarantine purposes it is said to be much better than Hotels as you get a Veranda/Patio to sit out in the fresh air (But humid, Darwin weather is like Taiwan).

1 Like

Close to the peak now. Watch it turn around.

Useless information from me- I have stayed in mining camp cabins before . They are OK if not luxurious.
The main problem is the heat outside there , better hope your aircon works.

Especially in places where you simply do not have the latest technology nor even enough resources, human or otherwise, to fight this plague.

1 Like

There is no country that “doesn’t have the resources” to fight this. Except possibly a half-dozen prizewinning shitholes like NK and CAR.

If you assume that vaccines are the only solution then you will overlook an assortment of others which are cheap and effective. And if you crash your economy (as many third world countries have done) then you’re going to make things worse.

Of course, if we assume that the intent is to make things worse, then we must be conspiracy theorists.

2 Likes