Coronavirus Open Thread 2021

Seems like it’s a big deal in some places. Interviews with people who visit these places say there never saw anything like it. 5x number of regular cremations mentioned.

If that’s true, then their deaths are being massively under-reported. I imagine it’s possible to be born and to die in India without anybody officially knowing or caring.

2 Likes

It’s probably due to local incidence varying a lot.

I read it can take a few years for formal mortality statistics to be published in India. But there is some reports of excess deaths:

If the 26-30% increase is accurate and applicable to the whole population then there is a whole lot of under-counting.

I imagine there is similar or worse levels in Africa.

Good chance for Taiwan to supply the poor SE Asian countries.

1 Like

Given the typical mortality rate elsewhere, you would expect a population of 1.3 billion to have lost at least a million by now, particularly since a country like India has no realistic options for constraining a pandemic.

There are really only three explanations:

• The reported deaths in India are waaaay lower than they actually are (like, a factor of five lower), perhaps because doctors are writing “old age” (if that’s accepted in India) or “acute respiratory disease” instead of COVID-19 on death certificates. The article suggests that in most cases doctors have no idea whether a dead person was positive or not.

• The reported deaths elsewhere are massively inflated.

• Indians just aren’t susceptible to COVID-19 in the same way as, say, Americans.

It’d be interesting to know which is the correct explanation, but I’m pretty confident nobody will attempt to find out.

There’s that exponential. India is in trouble.

Not a figment of the imagination .

1 Like

Why is big-pharma in cahoots with the corporates in trying to stop the use of ivermectin?

Plus there is a genetic component to the severity of the disease.

Aside from the current gamble -sure, you can get the mild cold or the lingering malaise or a trip to St. Peter’s lap, depending on the turn of the wheel- there is the issue of its mutations and permutations…the unthinkable may happen and we will be responsible for not stopping it.

They may easily run out of oxygen tanks…then it gets bad.

Vaccines will sort things out, no? 60 million doses a month made in India.

Too slow. They need to lockdown first.
As I have repeated often. You usually get just two choices .
Lockdown lite now . Lockdown heavy later.
They are also going to be locked out from travelling overseas as the pandemic is out of control with a possibly dangerous new variant.

Ivermectin has become a person . Impressive !

Those AZ vaccines have been contracted out for shipment overseas, often to some of the poorest countries in the world via COVAX.

If India seizes the vaccines (to which they have contributed almost no R&D funding, after botching their own domestic situation) that will simply slow down the global efforts to vaccinate, potentially leading to more tricky variants of the virus, slowing down the global effort to get this pandemic under control.

Guy

1 Like

But the vaccines work, yeah?

The decisive drop in transmission in the UK indicates the answer is “yes.”

But it will take several years to get the vaccine out to the world to hit the magic 70% mark or so. Between now and then, much of the world—not just India—will experience a bumpy ride.

Guy

The vaccines currently work to a degree. If they worked decisively there would be no need for a travel ban from the Indian subcontinent.

Because it seems that the evidence to support its use is sketchy at the moment?

Medical authorities/governments encourage the use of a particular treatment/vaccine/measure to treat coronavirus or limit its spread
:arrow_forward: cake logic: It’s a lie, coronavirus is fake, vaccines kill and haven’t been tested enough, masks don’t work, blah blah blah.

Medical authorities/governments discourage the use of a particular treatment because there isn’t enough evidence
:arrow_forward: cake logic: It’s a lie, why is Big Pharma suppressing this?

Some evidence.
Lots of cash to be made though.
Thanks for your analysis on how you think I think.

But the fat scarecrow said last week it was ‘lockdowns that did it’, not the jabs.