Coronavirus Open Thread (October-December 2020)

Biological systems didn’t cause this, modern air traffic caused it more than anything else. There’s no need to rely on random immunity. Vaccines are a much better smarter approach and we have the technology to achieve this. Vaccines teach the immune system in a more reliable and safer way than a random infection .
Pfizer and Astrazeneca are just the big names among thousands of companies and tens of thousands of scientists and engineers and doctors working on this. They are great companies that do things properly and can scale up to meet demand .
China already has vaccines .

Vaccines can ensure immunity happens at a much faster and predictable rate. With naturally acquired immunity you will have large areas with little immunity, others with more immunity. Outbreaks will happen sporadically making things unstable .

Besides there is no way to reliably tell the difference between people who are immune without continually testing people. Annual vaccination is actually a more straightforward scheme.

1 Like

Correction: modern air travel made it possible for this virus to spread so rapidly, but the 1918 flu for example occurred before commercial air travel.

Viruses emerge and spread in animal populations. Has been happening since before anatomically modern humans walked the earth and viruses will outlive us.

Reality is that lots of people have and will be infected with this virus. Clearly, the vast majority aren’t going to die, vaccine or no vaccine.

What we really need to figure out is how to deal with the next pandemic - the one that kills young and otherwise healthy people at a much higher rate like the 1918 flu did. China and corrupt international health institutions (like the WHO) are a much bigger threat than this coronavirus.

I really don’t get the point you’re trying to make. Pandemics occurred before there was air travel. People have traveled near and far for millennia. Air travel made it possible for this to spread so fast but if this virus had emerged in 1918, it still might have caused a pandemic.

3 Likes

There’s no correction required. It’s known that by the time we detected this virus it had started to spread due to air travel all over the globe.

It even efficiently spreads on long haul flights.
It’s a real tricky muthertrucker.

Taiwan’s vaunted quarantine system:

Proof is in the pudding.
Do you see a covid pandemic in Taiwan ?

No , you don’t.
Not even one community case confirmed since April.
200 days.

So yeah the quarantine system should be vaunted
…So far !!

1 Like

We actually detected coronavirus fairly early on .

The problem is that there is so much air travel now (within China, out of China, all over the globe ) it was virtually unstoppable except with a complete shutdown of flights . The main problem was the flights out of China. But by a few weeks later it had got a foothold in Italy and US and they were seeding each other. Within a few months there were strains in Asia that even came from Europe supposedly .

So far, the Mount Sinai researchers have identified seven separate lineages of viruses that entered New York and began circulating.

Vaunt this:

“ I expected that when I entered Taiwan I would be met by airport staff in full body suits, or for there to be at least some social distancing given that Taiwan has little to no cases, and is actively trying to prevent an outbreak. However, as anyone who has recently entered will know, . . .”

No mass testing was a great move.
As Dr Mike Yeadon said, the UK would be back to normal in 3 weeks if they stopped PCR testing.

Well they are detecting the migrants coming in with the virus , that’s a pretty good start. Can read the CDC report and the actions following detection everyday.

As we can see the proof is in the pudding. Banning foreign tourists was a good move too.

I agree that should tighten up the airport procedures.

The first cases in the US and Europe have been traced back to December. That’s about 2 months before the virus was even officially given a name and a month before the WHO announced there was no evidence the illness spreading in China could be spread person to person.

Cat was out of the bag before we knew there was a cat. Thanks to China’s coverup.

It’s not super clear how many cases were out there in December . Nevertheless this virus spread is extremely closely connected with air travel.
Which to be fair was predicted at least twenty years ago, I remember reading articles back then that said it would happen .

And what are you proposing exactly?

Viruses spread. Air travel helps them spread faster. Yes, we’ve known this for a while. I loved reading the The Coming Plague as a kid.

The reality is that unless we take civilization back a thousand years or more, pandemics are going to occur. We’re not fully in control of how they play out and it’s hubris to think that we are.

We had plagues back then, that’s not a good idea. :laughing:
I think we are all in agreement that we are not in full control of how things play out.

My homeys went thru quarantine in late March. There were so many holes in the system it was laughable. Returnees were lounging all over the quarantine hotel’s common spaces, mingling with hotel staff and delivery people. I found a back way up from the mall on the first floor when I made daily deliveries and regularly encountered people in quarantine making quick trips to Starbucks and other spots.

Yeah well they would have been fined big bucks if reported or caught. They obviously didn’t stray far or do it too much.

1 Like

For sure, I’m just not sure it’s the number one reason we’re winning. Obviously we got it right on all fronts, masks being one of the key strategies.

Interesting. I assume deaths fell after April because the people who would have died later died … sooner. And now we’re basically back to baseline.

Of course, we wouldn’t want facts to derail a massively successful political bandwagon, would we?

I’m not entirely sure what our Dear Leaders think they’re going to get out of this. It’s very clear indeed over here in Elbonia because the oligarchy aren’t even trying to hide their motives (there’s no need to when the majority of the population have to summon 90% of their brainpower to keep breathing). Over here, "the object of power is power”, and a secondary object is to grab a whole load of liquidated property and make great stinking piles of cash. I don’t think that’s happening so much in the UK, so I can’t figure out where the payback lies. It’s got to be there somewhere.

And county’s like the UK still haven’t got a grasp of these basics. I’m just waiting for vaccines at this point.