If Taiwan has an outbreak, this will be why:

I entered Taiwan in September, flying from the UK, where I had been stuck for a while. I expected that when I entered Taiwan I would be met by airport staff in full body suits, or for there to be at least some social distancing given that Taiwan has little to no cases, and is actively trying to prevent an outbreak. However, as anyone who has recently entered will know, the only protection staff have from travellers standing thirty centimeters in front of them is a paper surgical mask. I also expected that the designated quarantine taxis would have a transparent panel or something separating the driver from the passenger, but at least in my taxi, there was nothing like that. The worst part of the whole airport experience was when everyone was crowding around the telecom providers to get a SIM card, there was no social distancing at all and I doubt those staff are going into quarantine before heading back into society. Taiwan has done great at controlling COVID-19, better than any other nation, but after seeing how poorly arrivals are handled at international airports I think its just a matter of time before there is an outbreak in a big city like Taoyuan. What do you think?

7 Likes

The staff at the airport(and the taxi driver) are disinfected after their shift ends…

I’m a quarantine taxi driver and can confirm. I also inject myself intravenously with 8 ounces of bleach after each ride.

7 Likes

But what if they catch it? Ethanol is only going to kill the virus on their clothes or hands, not cure them or make them immune.

Trump would be proud.

He is a proud boy.

1 Like

Right, but they do full disinfection, just like hospital staff

Yet the outbreak has been everywhere else.

1 Like

How do you imagine they disinfect a whole person? I mean, you could incinerate them after each shift, but it probably wouldn’t be great for staff morale and turnover.

If disinfection of infected people were possible, coronavirus wouldn’t be an issue and there wouldn’t be a pandemic right now.

2 Likes

You make some good points, hopefully they will not get even more relaxed. Also Taiwan has good contact tracing and requires another test at end of quarantine I believe for some visitors so if anything jumps we should be able to put a lid on it

1 Like

More sarcasm.

I wasn’t tested entering Taiwan, or when finishing quarantine. Only certain nationalities are tested I believe, Filipinos being one.

2 Likes

They could sell SIM cards via vending machines. They could close duty free shops. They could put a transparent window in all taxis. They could do more.

1 Like

They rotate the staff as well, just as they do with flight crew.

The staff do shifts, then do short quarantine when they test the shit out of them

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you - you make some good points, and I’ve also wondered this before. I’m asking how henkka thinks it’s possible to disinfect someone’s lungs after they’ve already caught it from arriving passengers.

1 Like

I think you would have to kill them :sweat_smile:.

Do they actually test the staff? Incubation is 22 days according to Taiwan CDC so how would that work?

What would the point of testing the staff be? Unless they’re quarantining for 14 days between shifts, it’s futile and a waste of resources.

As long as everyone wears masks, practices good hygiene, pays attention to social distancing and reports any symptoms of illness, there’s no reason for people to be treated like they’re working in an Ebola hotzone.

Unfortunately, there is no social distancing.

2 Likes

You are Taiwanese ?
Folks with arc and citizens don’t need tests. Most others do.
Everybody should be rapid tested coming in I think.

1 Like