If Taiwan has an outbreak, this will be why:

Not a citizen.

I did a test in the UK before my flight, but no tests in Taiwan.

OK they may trust UK entry more…UK authorities. But I think you should be rapid tested at least here .
Taiwan largely depends on quarantine and tracing more than testing .
It’s worked very well so far.

The SIM congregation hotspot is bad though. Write to the airport authorities…Press ?

I agree. I keep seeing news about how they have the ability to rapid test, but I guess its not in action yet.

2 Likes

They are very reluctant to roll out mass testing. Partly due to false positives and the fact that they haven’t really missed much here through current system.
If they get a positive (likely will be false ) they have to quarantine everybody you came in contact with…Taxi drivers everybody.

So yeah but I still think one follow up test is important.

1 Like

If they tested everyone, their cases would be through the roof. There must be hundreds of cases that are not detected but don’t get spread because of quarantine.

1 Like

Maybe tens…Probably not hundreds as many are pretested overseas. Quarantine is the most important not to relax.

3 Likes

This is not great .
Also windows should be open a bit.

I don’t remember if the windows in my taxi were open or not.

1 Like

Sure it’s going down in the general population but we’re talking about the airport. The workers and passengers are wearing masks and aren’t spending extended periods of time in close contact with each other.

Isn’t that the point of quarantine? They are detecting cases in people who are required to test. Almost all of them have mild symptoms or are completely asymptomatic. And there hasn’t been a single case of one of these people transmitting the virus to someone else in Taiwan.

The system is working. Everybody needs to stay vigilant but testing for the sake of testing won’t do anything.

2 Likes

nevermind

but only after the nightly Prez Trump phone call to your cell of course.

A friend of mine was sent to the airport to transport a Chinese student that was arriving a few weeks back. I guess she started studying at the school this fall and they picked her to go pick up this Chinese student from the airport and transport him to the quarantine hotel and make sure he had all the crap he needed. I told her that sounded like a solid bit of hazing, but I guess she went in a full hazmat suit. My response to her was also “why the fuck are random people being asked to look after anyone coming off a plane from abroad?”. I would expect the government to have official designated people being the only humans that are allowed to come in contact with arrivals until their quarantine is over. And a system in place for getting SIM cards for godssake.

2 Likes

Allowing anyone without residency rights is ignorant af.

Sometimes reality gives a very sobering reminder about narratives.

1 Like

Are you saying what I think you are saying???

What do you think i am saying?

Are you suggesting that the narrative about COVID-19 is different to the reality?

So, like this SOP for the airport and transportation services has been going on for how long?
How many new COVID-19 cases have resulted from what you are worried about? [rhetorical]
Short answer, stop worrying.

1 Like

That medical grade masks work and social distancing is a distant second. Having lived thru the pandemic response here in the only country in the world which kicked COVID to the curb and experiencing the efficacy of erecting a Great Wall of masks firsthand it’s a crying shame that so many still don’t get it. Taiwan is so densely populated social distancing was never a realistic option here. I’ve been shoulder to shoulder with people on packed MRT trains the entire time and could count on the fingers of one hand the number of people I’ve seen not wearing a face mask.

So it goes.

1 Like

I guess this proves that masks work? Despite the number of funnels and crowds in the airport there hasn’t been community transmission tied back to the airport.