Coronavirus Open Thread (October-December 2020)

It is still a virus and we have no herd immunity. We can just put up mosquito netting. Simple as a mask.

1 Like

You’re comparing apples to coral reefs. Dengue is nothing like coronavirus. It’s not a respiratory virus and is not transmitted from person to person.

The idea that we can deal with dengue by putting up mosquito netting sounds like something Trump would say. Maybe take it a step further and suggest that people just ingest DEET? Or use low-yield tactical nukes on bodies of standing water in areas where dengue is endemic?

Or how about government mandated beekeeper suits?

Like many, I had the Chicken Pox when a kid, cant remember the details (was before all the jabs became available), then a couple of years back a cousin (in her 70’s) got shingles, but the symptoms puzzled the doctors and about a month passed before someone thought to test for shingles…positive. By then it had gotten into her spine, and noew some years later she is still taking painkillers.

I did some reading up and found that there was now a vaccination for shingles, trouble is it was age dependent, over 65 and it was free, under that it cost about AUD250. I quickly paid up and got the jab.

A vaccine called Zostavax has been available in the US and Australia since 2006. There’s a newer vaccine now called Shingrix.

In the US, the CDC has been recommending vaccination for anyone healthy above the age of 50 for some time. I’d imagine the recommendations are similar in Australia.

Sounds like your cousin slipped through the cracks. Nobody should have to suffer from shingles. :frowning_face:

I don’t get it. He’s arguing against vaccination and naturally acquired herd immunity? What else can be done, then? Most countries who introduced national lockdown have seen a post-lockdown surge in cases.

His figures on Sweden are massively out of date, and the 3% US fatality rate is codswallop. Even the WHO have revised their fatality rate down to 0.6%.

Zostavax was the one I received I think (name sounds familiar) and the jab had been available for some time, just not published widely, and the cost was the same for all until a few years ago when the Government decided to make it free for Seniors.

Well those beekeeper suits are the ones medical personnel use in the field.

You are distorting or misunderstanding my meaning. I said not all diseases can be stopped by herd immunity. And that a simple physical barrier, like mosquito netting or a mask, can help diminish the risk.

Comprendes, Méndez?

Here in Taiwan only a handful of hospitals offer the shingles vaccine. I was going to take it at Tzu Chi before the plague hit, but now it seems the flu vaccine is more urgent.

I have a booklet worth of vaccines taken in Taiwan, though. There are way many more available than in the old country. Hepatitis, HPV, among them. I would feel confident on the safety and availability of a COVID vaccine in Taiwan if it is developed.

My point is that you’re talking about herd immunity with a virus for which herd immunity would never be discussed, so I don’t see your point.

The coronavirus is a respiratory virus that’s transmitted from person to person. It’s highly contagious. Herd immunity is in play because it’s so contagious and infecting so many people. The WHO now says it might already have infected a tenth of the world’s population. In less than a year.

Dengue is a virus that’s transmitted from mosquitoes to people. It’s not contagious person to person. It’s a horrible virus and hopefully one day we’ll have a vaccine for it, but it will never infect people the way the coronavirus does or in the same numbers, so you’d never discuss herd immunity to dengue in the same way.

Ok, let’s say dengue is not a good example. But then again, we have plenty of other nasties that make people sick and we have not developed herd immunity no matter how long they have been around or how many people get infected.

For me, dengue is the worst because it is a big problem where I come from. And stuff like hepatitis, no herd immunity. Cholera, no . Mslaria. Measles, chicken pox. Those are the most popular ones down there. Dunno what would be the equivalent in more developed places.

And in other topics the economy is so bad in the old country the prostitutes are on strike after the government decided to add another tax to their trade. Seems the government is taxing anything and everything to get funds as COVID and crime have scared tourists away…

Please note prostitution is legal in the old country.

And there is a plague of vultures, roaming the cities…cities plagued with COVID. Not a good omen.

1 Like

Ahhhh nature

1 Like

Well, that South Park pandemic special was a wild ride.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Wellington NZ today - Rugby - NZ vs AUS - ended in a 16-16 draw.

Tie score…2020 just won’t quit.

By promoting fraudulent data, aggressively deploying disinformation, and flexing its institutional clout, Beijing transformed the snake oil of lockdowns into ‘science’, crippling rival economies, expanding its influence and sowing authoritarian values,” Senger writes on Twitter.

https://amp.news.com.au/finance/economy/world-economy/coronavirus-theory-that-chinese-propaganda-encouraged-western-nations-to-lock-down/news-story/19c3e85f1f3088e5b06f2fb97ee50629?__twitter_impression=true

Probably not trick, just that following the lead of a lying , brutal, spine less and heartless dictatorship was not the best not the only course of action. As I said before these folk have a big log on their shoulders and revenge on the West is a mandate.

1 Like

And in other news new outbreak in Qingdao.

Almost 10,000 minks in Utah have reportedly died due to Covid-19, spurring quarantines at nine fur farms impacted by the outbreak.

The state’s veterinarian, Dean Taylor, reportedly said that coronavirus had mostly impacted older minks, “wiping out 50% percent of the breeding colonies.” Younger minks were largely unharmed, he said.

Given that their lives would be spent in those cages until it was time for them to be killed to satisfy the vanity of horrible assholes…

They need to make masks for them.

On a serious note, I look forward to lab grown fur and leather (if it ever happens).