Coronavirus Open Thread (October-December 2020)

There already is. From algae, pineapples, mushrooms. All sustainable.

Fake fur we’ve had since forever, Gore-Tex better than killing innocent animals. Absolutely no need in practical or aesthetic terms.

Listening to the Korean COVID report. Their spokesperson is not as charismatic as ours.

They report a cluster related to foreign students partying together and also one of Russian sailors. “Social gatherings” are a danger for transmission.

What a relief to hear someone else push the " you can be exposed to the coronavirus anytime…maintain preventive measures" line.

I am actually surprised that they are mandating masks just now.

1 Like

Meanwhile, in Qingdao:

Guy

2 Likes

‘mob’ :joy::joy:
They sure know how to organise at scale though. I wonder how they inform people where to go and when, wechat ?

New record of 6638 infections in one day in Germany. Highest since the pandemic began!

1 Like

People are so desperate for things to go back to “normal” without actually doing anything to create the environment to keep things “normal”.

2 Likes

Are there many mink farms in China ?
:thinking:

We all know Xi Jinping is anxious to assert the PRC as a great power. What is surprising is that he may be following the lead of other great leaders like Trump and BoJo to do so:

Guy

quarantine can increase depression. This case may be a suicide?

1 Like

Probably had an argument with the boyfriend. Case should be investigated properly though. It’s very typical for Taiwanese suicides but not so common overseas I’d say.

4 Likes

Indeed. A foreigner using charcoal? Highly suspicious.

2 Likes

This. Things should be kept simple, follow what works from the successful countries and enforce it hard.

Well a bunch of countries that had supposedly gotten things under control with lockdowns, mask wearing and social distancing are now having second waves so a big issue is how long people are expected to accept extraordinary measures.

Now Bill Gates is saying that it will take 2nd generation vaccines before we can get back to normal, and even the WHO is sort of giving up on lockdowns.

I think the big problem is that even the experts just don’t know how this all plays out. It is looking more and more to me like the virus is going to become an endemic thing.

1 Like

Were you around Taiwan in January 2020?

One of the first lesson we learned was to disregard almost everything that this organization has to say.

Guy

6 Likes

I was here in January, and I don’t disagree. The point I was making is that even the WHO is now advising against longer term lockdowns. It was a proponent of them originally, having praised China for its lockdown-based approach. If the WHO is now adding caveats to the lockdown strategy I think you could say that it’s becoming obvious it’s not as effective as everyone was led to believe.

https://sports.yahoo.com/atp-sam-querrey-family-russia-test-positive-covid-19-private-jet-213624535.html

What an @sshole.

We never even really had a first wave here in Taiwan so I can only guess at what a second wave must feel like.

I suspect the adjective “soul crushing” might be one possible response. Just when you think you have things under control, there’s more…

Guy

Presumably it will be like a first wave, if and when we get it. Having said that we won’t make the same cock-ups other countries did and let it loose in care homes, so maybe the mortality rate will be as low as countries experiencing second waves.