Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

More updates from Taiwan CDC

2 Likes

Pilots don’t fly the plane, the autopilot does 99% of the time, pilots land and take-off. And almost every plane has sleeping berths the pilots can use during flight.

1 Like

On the other hand, I personally quite like it when the plane I’m on takes off and lands successfully rather than ramming into a forest.

3 Likes

A single dose of AstraZeneca apparently cuts hospitalization by 80 percent in the over 80s.

I’m guessing with younger people who are at less risk of hospitalization anyway, the number is even higher.

1 Like

I’ve heard the AZ vaccine is now available to all in Taiwan. Is this accurate, and I’d so, how does one sign up?

You’re way behind on this - there’s a whole other thread. :wink:

4 Likes

Today’s CDC report on cases (imported) Case 1158 is bit odd, discovered after the 14 day period. The good news it seems no local cases in this report.

Vaccine leave working rights (in Chinese)

1 Like

If you vaccinate the elderly and risk groups, it does more to herd immunity than non risk groups, because elderly and risk groups (the obese!) are usually the superspreaders. So no worries that they are less active…

you likely don’t help herd immunity by giving the shots to those in elderly homes first however - they are really too inactive. Better first give shots to the caretakers because they are less IMHO.

The reason most countries have focused on these groups as first priority for vaccination is not that they are superspreaders, but that they are most vulnerable

11 Likes

So being fat makes you more contagious than others?

1 Like

To be fair we fat people have a larger surface area, so it’s harder to stay away from us, especially in crowded places.

2 Likes

I could argue that if you’re fat enough, you create a “social distancing bubble” in front of you, making it less likely to transmit Covid through droplets XD

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/8/e2021830118

yes - you exhale more virus particles if your obese - they did run studies on that . Elderly and obese are most likely to be superspreaders.

So the fact that Taiwan has many fat, but rather few obese people must play a large part why so far the virus never went endemic here.

I would guess while doing sports - healthy people exhale much more too - hence indoor gyms being an unsafe place in times of covid19 where it’s endemic. Same as bars indoors where people consume a lot of alcohol. Ischgl was the first place worldwide where kinda everyone got infected… Alcohol and indoors…

Many obese people are short of breath, exhaling less air.

The increase seems pretty moderate though - the paper seems to show that the exhaled particle concentration only increases by a factor of around two between the thinnest youngest people (lowest BMI-years) and fattest oldest people (highest BMI-years). So probably wouldn’t overstate the correlation.

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s correct. The shortness of breath is presumably due to the greater demand for oxygen, not because they’re inhaling/exhaling less.

1 Like

Mouth breathers, lol

How about infected 'farts?

where do you see that factor of 2? the graphic you linked would rather take a factor of 4-5, with the red line going from about 200 to around 800-1000 (hard to tell).

If the factor is 4-5 that would make a huge change. Herd immunity then could mean vaccinate all people at risk, and then 50% of the rest of the adults, and we should easily be there. No need to vaccinate children and young and fit people to stop covid19. Well except if the virus due to vaccinated people becomes more aggressive…