Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

Lovely discussion at the Legislative Yuan. The blues leave no room for greens to win.

Them blues/blue tinged press complain we get no COVAX, government why does not move to buy? Government buysā€¦they complainā€¦

Then they go: Why isnā€™t the president in the first group to get the vaccine? She/the prime minister etc. want the Armed Forces as guinea pigs? I betcha if she gets the vaccine, they will complainā€¦

And the question: are you going to start from Taoyuan General hospital? Really striking fearā€¦

Peace of mind? Seriously, JP, the campaign of fear worked well with this virus.

With the exception of a few outliers it only takes out obese geriatrics. Yeah, the overall numbers can appear scary but the percentage of fatalities is tiny.

Nope it kills slim geratrics in large numbers too.
Itā€™ll also put a lot of middle aged and elderly obese in hospital. Itā€™s more dangerous for people with existing serious diseases which is not a small amount of people.
Thanks science for cutting through the waffle and getting us back to normal life.

1 Like

I was talking about percentage risk not overall numbers

The WHO, of all people, are pointing out that 90% of deaths are in countries with serious obesity issues.

You mean the CCP are pointing that ā€œfactā€ out. We donā€™t know the true number of deaths in China or third world counties.

Well, no, we donā€™t

Thatā€™s most developed and semi developed countries. You may as well be saying 'in countries with functioning economies '.

Here is an English-language list of hospitals for self-pay COVID testing:

Direct link to PDF:

Webpage link:

1 Like

You are wrong. In the U.S. alone for example already about 75,000 people died of covid in the age group 50-64. Hardly what one can call ā€œobese geriatricsā€ or ā€œa few outliersā€

1 Like

Percentages, not numbers.

I didnā€™t word it very well, and the way you have edited my post exacerbates that. Iā€™m confident people are intelligent enough to have gotten my point.

2 Likes

Youā€™ll have to take that up with the WHO. They are the ones making the point.

Why are you so keen to deny such a clear link between Covid mortalities and obesity? The obese should be prioritised for vaccination, if they already arenā€™t being.

About 15% of all deaths in the U.S. are in the 50-64 year age group. This is also not what most people would consider a tiny percentage

And these are only the dead. When you look at hospitalisations, the share of non-geriatric people is even much higher

Look, this all started with @jimipresleyā€™s worries about Covid risk. The percentages I was referring to are the risk of dying by age group and body type.

But, it doesnā€™t matter. I am wrong.

1 Like

Great and no personal offense intended. Just important for nobody reading this forum to become negligent. For their own benefit and for everybody elseā€™s benefit. Thanks.

I was curious about the numbers you all are discussing right now, so took a quick look at the data.
According to this site, @Shui is correct in that there have been about 75 000 covid deaths in the US in those aged 50-64.
Just for comparisonā€™s sake, the number of deaths due to influenza in one season, 2018-2019, was 34 157 total. In those aged 50 to 64, the number was 5 676.
According to this site, the total number of people in the US aged 50-64 is 62.92 million (when you add up the numbers in the chart of those age groups).

Doing the math, this comes out to 0.009% of that age group dying of the flu per season, and 0.1% of that age group dying of covid so far.

The rest, I think, is subjective. If you can live with those numbers, then you probably donā€™t need to take any further action. If those numbers are not OK with you, then probably the vaccine is your best bet. I think personally, if I moved back to the US in the near future, Iā€™d try to get one of the non-MRNA shots.

3 Likes

ā€¦ and this only takes into account your direct personal risk. Moreover, by vaccinating you also reduce the risk to others by lowering the risk of you infecting them and help move everybody closer to the end of this pandemic.

Personal risk was the only thing I was discussing. The very old and people suffering from pre-existing conditions, obesity in particular, should be vaccinated first.

Iā€™m not convinced that being vaccinated lowers the risk of infecting others significantly. The vaccines reduce symptoms, so protect the person vaccinated. I suppose they might reduce transmission somewhat through reduced spittle being ejected.

Iā€™m 50 and my personal concerns about my risk of dying from Covid are statistically insignificant.

A lot of studies have now confirmed that the BioNTech/Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccine reduce transmission to others and actually do so very significantly

2 Likes

OK, fair enough, asymptomatic transmission is reduced significantly.

1 Like