Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

I’m not,but it’s biggest correlation BY FAR for mortality is actually age not obesity !

Look at the stats!

Why are you going on about obesity so much it’s not like it’s a new thing or something that can dealt with quickly. Rich and poor countries all struggle with obesity.

People suffering from obesity should get vaccination priority. That can be dealt with quickly.

…Unless you want to travel. And you will have some restrictions for work too if unvaccinated.
So in reality further action is required for many.
Which is good for society keeps it in check.

1 Like

Which is why I can’t wait to get my jab.

Not sure about the keeping society in check bit, though.

what’s the deal with non-MRNA shots?

Then you also need to throw into the mix your risk tolerance for the possibility of a debilitating or lingering condition of (as yet) unknown duration if you are infected.

2 Likes

“The new Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine will provide a big boost to the effort to protect as many Americans as possible as soon as possible. But now there may be an obstacle. Some church leaders are raising concerns about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine because cell lines derived from abortions were used in its development.”

But,

“The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops said in a January statement that “abortion-derived” cell lines were used to test the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines but not in their development or production.”

There is a big overlap with age and obesity in many countries. Obesity (BMI over 30) is the biggest risk factor after age.
And we also know that the bigger people are at risk of dying, the more likely they are to spread it.

Different rules for obese people (priority on vaccination), butnl also Quarantine and restrictions should be done. Obesity is in general one of the biggest problems in our world. Treating and taxing sugar like a drug would be the best start. Sugar and alcohol are pretty equal. Should be consumed in moderation only. But sugar is everywhere in processed foods

Yes because people get fatter as they age in many cases.
That’s not a new fact.
The biggest risk factor for covid by far is simply age as our immune system just gets worse at responding quickly enough to viral infection. It’s a war and the viruses can replicate faster than an old person can produce neutralising antibodies.

PS being overweight generally means you will live longer than the skinny old people (when you are really old )

But I’m sure you all knew this stuff already before all the moralising started.

:grin::wink:

I was referring to the new vaccine technology of transfecting synthetic mRNA into immune cells and causing the cells to build proteins based on those mRNA that would stimulate an immune response. I know there’s been a lot of research showing its efficacy and low risk of adverse effects, so far. However, there’s no data yet on the long-term effects, if there will be any.

The non-mRNA vaccines (AZ and J&J) are using virus (or other microbe) vectors, which as a technology has been around longer. Eg: Hep B vaccine (been around a long time) is carried by yeast cells. Also, there are two approved Ebola vaccines, one is carried by the VSV virus, and the other is carried by adenovirus, which happens to be the same viral family as what they’re using in the AZ and J&J COVID vaccines - granted, the Ebola vaccines are relatively new. All I’m saying is that the method by which these vaccines work has been around longer, and there is more data showing that the risk of adverse effects is low.

Very true. Unfortunately, long-term effects of COVID can happen, I was just reading about this and need to find the article. Does anyone know what’s the percentage of those infected experiencing long-term effects? If it’s low enough, it might not be worth worrying too much about.

I’m personally not concerned about this. (That may make me a bad Christian, but it also may not. :woozy_face:)

OK, remember this when the official advice becomes prioritising vaccinating people with obesity. Age of course is number one, combined with other pre-existing conditions such as obesity, but there’s no moralising here as far as I can tell. Just pure logic.

Obesity is a double whammy of inflammatory conditions.

You is all in the wrong :thread: innit

4 Likes

I read numbers of about 1 in 3 having problems longer than 2 weeks, about 1 in 10 longer than 3 months.

And those who get into intensive care, regardless of long covid or not, will have a very significant long-term impact both physically and psychologically.

In many Western countries by the way the majority of covid hospital patients is NOT in the geriatric age group

2 Likes

Chen pointed out that clinical trials of foreign vaccines are all being carried out abroad, while the trials for the domestic shots are ongoing in Taiwan. Although Taiwanese “don’t differ too much from others physically,” test subjects who are Taiwanese will naturally report results that are even closer to the country’s general population, said Chen.

(Taiwan to build vaccine plant to produce 20 million shots per month | Taiwan News | 2021-03-05 13:11:00 )

How on earth can phase 3 trials be carried out in Taiwan if there are no local transmissions of covid?

(should really be in " Coronavirus vaccine in Taiwan", but I cannot move)

1 Like

That’s not true, at least very questionable how you define skinny. Yes super skinny People have a little shorter life expectancy compared to normal weight people. But overweight people Vs a BMI of 18.5-21 live shorter, and won’t even make it that old plus have way more problems.

Underweight is BMI lower 18 or 18.5. now the problem is that there are virtually no healthy people with such a low BMI. It’s less than 1 percent in the studies (Body mass index as a predictor of healthy and disease-free life expectancy between ages 50 and 75: a multicohort study - PMC)

Now you can assume a lot of people who are underweight are so because of some other disease or malnutrition. Those are not your normal skinny People. Nowadays skinny is anything from 18.5 to 20 or 21…

You manage to put everything into a really wrong context.
But yes it would be better to categorize by body fat and muscle mass. I’m very sure for men 10-20 percent body fat and 40-50 percent muscle mass is the optimum. For women 16-22 body fat and 35-45 muscles. Now those are actually skinny People with good amount of muscle’s by most standards. Likely with a BMI of 20-21 which should be more or less the optimum.

People who are skinny fat, yes not optimal but if not underweight still was healthier than overweight, let alone obese. Now obese likely as unhealthy as anorexia or strong underweight, but those are 25 percent Vs maybe 0.5 percent of population. Your logic is soo screwed that’s not funny.

2 Likes

Except it’s not my logic but conclusions of long terms studies of old people in nursing homes and assisted living communities.

This paper claimed otherwise.

They could ask some of the diplomatic allies to do it?

That’s exactly the crux, need to exclude any studies that were based on people with some kind of disease. Many diseases cause you to lose weight. Especially muscles
So if you don’t exclude that problem and make sure to take a random sample of the population, and exclude all which die within the next two years, that obesity paradox is completely debunked. But yes maybe 20-21 BMI is not optimal anymore, cause it’s very hard to be lean and have muscles the older you get. And having enough muscels is more important than having a bit too much fat.

Everyone doing fitness/bodybuilding knows how damn hard it is to keep a nice Sixpack, Vs how easy it is to have a bit too much fat for a great six-pack and just see your abdo muscles in the right position or light. Mind if you’re abdo muscles are visible and excluding people like sumo wrestler, you won’t be overweight at all.

Yes, but Chen explicitly said that the tests for the Taiwanese produced vaccine are done in Taiwan which is why I am struggling to understand this (“Chen pointed out that clinical trials of foreign vaccines are all being carried out abroad, while the trials for the domestic shots are ongoing in Taiwan.”)

1 Like

Ongoing presser

One more death: the emergency case flown in from Myanmar. Condolences.

7 new imports

Report in vaccines, keeping track on allergic reactions abroad

4 Likes