Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

Wearing just a normal mask works fine for me. Combined, I suppose, with my skinhead pate and withering glare.
Miserable old people avoid me like I’m a serial rapist. High school kids happily sit next to me, though. Grim, lazy little fuckers on their phones, who haven’t yet been taught how to take their backpacks off. I wouldn’t be surprised if their mums tie their shoelaces for them. If I started coughing and vomiting blood on them, they probably wouldn’t notice.

5 Likes

And I was wondering why I always have a whole carriage in the MRT to myself…

1 Like

Wear an “I <3 Taipei” shirt and hold an MRT map for best results.

5 Likes

This is what’s called Sanchong Syndrome. Foreigners embracing the worst parts of Taiwanese culture: being "money-grubbing, vain and afraid of death.”

Since the US is starting to require all international arrivals (including US citizens) to get a COVID test before boarding a US-bound flight, I wanted to check self-pay Taipei COVID testing sites. But I cannot for the life of me find where this list is on the Taiwan CDC site, and the news articles I’ve found also do not link directly to the CDC list.

I also searched Forumosa for links but didn’t find any, so apologies if this has been posted before! Anyone seen this list mentioned in this news article?

Edit (list in Chinese here): https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/FIuENWTVW1ZRqhdLunpwjQ

2 Likes

List in this thread

4 Likes

You can apparently also do the test at Cathay General Hospital with next-day results and online registration. Details here. No idea how prices etc. compare with other options.

Good to hear that the U.S. is starting to strengthen its travel restrictions for incoming passengers. Wouldn’t want to leave it too late and export any coronavirus cases from Taiwan to the U.S. :thinking:

7 Likes

Oh my god, thank you! I can’t read the hospital list in Chinese, so you saved me a lot of time with Google Translate. The self-pay COVID testing site for Cathay General Hospital seems straightforward. :smiley:

3 Likes

Cathay General Hospital—immortalized by Naick and Kim, the youtubers who sheltered in Taiwan and travelled around for a while before (perhaps foolishly) returning to Belgium. They used the services at this hospital to get the tests before they flew out.

Guy

Presser on right now. 468 contacts from the hospital case tested. How many negatives?

You guessed it…468.

There’ll be a second round of random testing in the hospital out of a, you guessed it, abundance of caution. About 400 more.

No one else needs to lose sleep over this.

5 Likes

That’s good to hear. It looks like they have one kind of test. They don’t say what kind but it must be the kind the airlines accept. In the US, there are many types of tests and it had to be the PCR test (not the antigen one) in order to enter Taiwan.

Likely the guy knows much about how Coronavirus spreads and took extra precautions in public. I’m sure he’d be wearing masks everywhere.

3 Likes

It’s best we are always on guard and vigilant

2 Likes

Except for when eating and drinking. It also depends how fast they caught it.

1 Like

Over 400 contacts negative. That’s impressive. And after the 14 days quarantine, negative PCR test before boarding and no symptoms, during the 7 day self monitoring they still don’t allow you to even hug your family or be closer than 2 meters from them… because coronavirus is that easy to spread…

I haven’t been on social media and followed anything on the news for a few days and when I inquired why companies were cancelling their annual parties was met with “haven’t you seen the news?”.

I was talking with a cousin in NY who appeared shocked that we have offices and schools and stores and restaurants open. I walked through the stats but he really hoped that “Taiwan and the rest of the world” would take covid “as seriously as NY does”.

8 Likes

Well, in China, the great firewall decides what you see and what you dont. In the USA, well who knows … seems they dont learn much of what happens beyond their own borders.

1 Like

Translation: ‘I’m jelly.’

1 Like

Where did you get that? If it’s in private it’s allowed as far as I understood. I would actually think it would be safer to have another pcr test at the end (or antibody rapid blood test - because it’s easy to do the nasal swab too short/wrong, but impossible to mess up the antibody test - and after 14 days you surely have IG-M) instead of the 7 day period.

Chang Hsiu-chun (張秀君), deputy director of the Pingtung County Public Health Bureau, said that when the man returned to Taiwan from China on Dec. 31, he was required to go directly to the residence listed on his household registration documents in Pingtung. However, he instead took a direct flight to Kinmen to undergo quarantine on his own and did not contact his family, reported UDN.

How was this guy allowed to board a domestic flight?

3 Likes