Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

You’ve gone online already? Crap! Guess I’ll be next.

Talking about apps, if any of you cool cats that are millennial savvy with those things, could you write a tutorial for the social distancing app in Taiwan? How to use it? Damn thing is in Chinese.

5 Likes

I don’t have a clue, either. I think it would be better to extend the semester.

1 Like

The key is pretending you do.

2 Likes

That’s what everyone’s doing. It’s a farce.

You also have dance halls, barber shops, massage parlors and drinking bars with karaoke. All different spins on the same thing. Back when Taiwan was young the place must have been crazy. What you see now for the older set are remnants of those days.

10 Likes

The short answer is, for language skills development with weak and unmotivated students you can expect a drop in quality for the time spent. But, totally possible to fill the hours with something.

I’ve studied online (various types of training and courses), studied online learning (both generally, and CALL specifically), made online learning resources (self-access, CALL), and been a TA for online graduate courses (credit, education subjects); if anyone is stuck with online teaching we can start a thread.

3 Likes

From your friendly Taipei city government, situation under control, be cautious but don’t panic.

(hospital)和平醫院沒有封院危險 狀況都在掌握中 請不要恐慌

(pencil)相關應變作為如下:
1.密切接觸者已經完成採檢
2.病人移至負壓隔離病房繼續治療
3.住院病患只出不進,出院者需先檢驗並做後續追蹤關懷
4.急診及門診已全面清消 、急診暫停營業
5.門診與住院丶急診區區隔
6.原則上只接受已經預掛的病患

3 Likes

There’s a karaoke drinks bar on my street that I often see the police visiting–well, I say often, it’s a handful of times a year, but often enough that I notice it.

I always suspected it was run by dodgy folks. Now I’m suspecting it is actually a cathouse, rather than just a shady bar.

1 Like

You studied conversation online in a class of 40?

It’s really hard to know unless experiencing a particular spot. Many are truly just singing and heavy flirting. Just like the adult KTVs, all types, from nothing to everything.

1 Like

Is that serious?

Remote teaching can be fun and easy with these simple steps! (Sorry, had to cheese it up a bit)

1. Touch base in the morning within 20 minutes of your usual start time.

2. Give them the day’s road map, and work for the morning.

3. checkin at 11 or whenever, assign work for the afternoon,

4. checkin at 2/3, assign HW

The breaks let you get ahead of the little mongrels, angels, and you can use certain days of the week for longer zoom engagements.

Structure, routine will be key. Lighten it up at first so they can attune to being productive in a play place (HOME)

The thing I hated about our lock down experience in NY is that our kiddo’s kindergarten teacher only met with the kids for 20 to 30 minutes on a Friday, all teaching was left to the parents.

Older students will need more engagement, (duh, I know) and more fulfilling work at home. Again, take it slow at first, build up the routine of simple deliverables at first, then add on.

2 Likes

Yes please. We older folk find difficulty using high tech stuff.

Yes, and I’m in Kaohsiung too. My uni is extra cautious about this stuff.

1 Like

Just press a button and turn on your Bluetooth. If you come into contact with anyone , they will tell you.

2 Likes

The old country is doing remote virtual and in site classes. The teachers are stretched to the limit, with few technical resources and at the same time teaching on line and in person. Crazy.

Why not? It’s like we can go any fucking place this summer. Again.

Ah, what simpler times only 2 years ago when our biggest worry was an Eva Airlines strike… :pensive:

4 Likes

So I have to keep Bluetooth on all the time?

2 Likes

Can you share the app here, please?