Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

I did already.

3 Likes

It only works by Bluetooth, there’s no other identifier as far as the app is concerned. You would only get a notification if both you and the confirmed case were using the app and had been within 2 meters (I think) for 2+ minutes. If the confirmed case wasn’t using the app, the government couldn’t use the app to let you know you were in contact.

2 Likes

Honestly they should have built the app within Line, seeing how everyone is already using it.

8 Likes

Literally!

What’s this live press conference about?

1 Like

It seems just filling in about Hoping Hospital, that there were two cases there and 22 medical personnel quarantined, and yesterday’s news from Wanhua.

4 Likes

Muchas gracias, amigo.

3 Likes

Wifes been told by her boss not to go to work at City Mall today.

Apparently some contacts now quarantining have been there, visited 20 shops.

Beitou Costco quiet so far only open 30 minutes

1 Like

I’m saying there’s a strong probability that he’s a false positive because the background rate is low. Unless he:

(a) is symptomatic
(b) has had his status verified with a different test

then it could be false (90%+), and the media shouldn’t be reporting it. Even if he is positive then the media should STFU about every single bloody case that pops up, for everybody’s safety. Loose talk costs lives. We know this from the 2020 experience. It’s not speculation.

The only people who need to know about these “cases” are the people who work/live with them.

Sure, wear your masks and whatnot (for whatever good that is going to do) but realistically people are doing this. It simply isn’t true that people are being lackadaisical. I see a high level of paranoia out on the streets, with 95%+ masks in situations where they’re not really important (yes, I counted) and 100% in crowded places.

There is no solution. The CECC and the public are already doing everything that’s likely to do any good, and I wish people would just stop it with the “one more push and we can fix this”. The odds are against it. Nothing wrong with slowing it down, but the government really needs to calm people down at this point and explain to people what’s achievable, because panic and unrealistic expectations make things worse, not better.

Self-fulfilling because if you do more tests then you will see more cases (a certain fraction of which will be false), which prompts even more testing. It snowballs. Again, this is not speculation. It’s what happened to everybody else.

Testing in itself isn’t going to help unless people are strictly self-isolating on first symptoms (which they probably won’t - they’ll go to hospital instead).

Far better to tell people that COVID is really not dangerous for the vast majority and that you should seek help if you have serious symptoms. Unfortunately it’s probably too late for that now, and Taiwan is going to find itself enmeshed in the same mass delusion as everywhere else.

Fair enough. It just wasn’t clear from the article. Nevertheless, I still see little point in reporting every single case. What is the public supposed to do with that information? Nothing. It spreads fear; that’s all. Tell the guy to self-isolate, tell his co-workers to do whatever is possible (work from home, self-monitor, etc), and then let everyone else quietly get on with their lives, in blissful ignorance.

1 Like

That would involve software collaboration, improving the state of the art, which is not allowed in Taiwan’s IT ecosystem.

Plus you forget - line supports English well, which is a big no-no for official government business. “My young kid may look at English characters :exploding_head:”

1 Like

Lack of English aside, the contact tracing app is surprisingly well done compare to some other countries (there are other apps that do bizarre things like ask you to leave it open all day).

The Taiwan app is using the official system on iOS + Android. The phone OS handles most of the work so it should be pretty efficient on your battery. Also the data is pretty anonymous (just random identifiers).

Apple has a nice page that gives an overview on the system here - Privacy-Preserving Contact Tracing - Apple and Google

I’m genuinely surprised Taiwan used this versus building some awful thing in-house.

8 Likes

Why is a side-effect of COVID seem to be visiting as many shops and restaurants as humanly possible?

16 Likes

Apple does things well. Which is why developers are forced to adhere to standards or have their apps rejected.

Potential case, student in Banqiao school

2 Likes

Too much time at home has made you stir crazy already

At the press conference, Ko appealed to the 50,000 runaway foreign laborers to come in for testing, and that if they do, they won’t be deported… :thinking:

8 Likes

I mean the biggest problem is not really the lack of English, as to be honest its not complicated app and we are few in numbers. The biggest issue is that Taiwan has a lot old people who are technologically illiterate and wont download it unless young family members force them. Imagine some CCP infested LINE group will tell them that the APP will fry their brains or empty their bank accounts

5 Likes

Well since those oldies are penny wise pound foolish from what I’ve heard, the cecc could say that if you download the app and show the bar code, your bank will deposit NT$10 in your account. Everyone will do it then !

3 Likes

Yes they definitely will do that!

1 Like