Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

I don’t buy this - what? How are people shedding virus from their respiratory tract while not testing positive for virus in their respiratory tract?

I’m not talking about PCR tests here by the way (although it’s not important for the point).

Ditto. Yea; it be serious.

2 Likes

Aren’t lax rules given for pilots a lapse in the policy?

Not to mention all of the people who’ve tested positive way after the 2 weeks…

3 Likes

Under the first stage, all suspected and confirmed cases are treated in negative pressure rooms - and there are currently around 1,000 of those islandwide, of which 400 are empty.

In the second stage of the plan, the 171 hospitals in Taiwan with emergency response capabilities will set up special wards to accommodate coronavirus patients, adding some 2,400 beds to the total capacity.

The third stage of the plan will see entire hospitals designated solely for the treatment of coronavirus patients - opening up an additional 3,000 beds, while still allowing for patients to be treated in isolation.

And in the final stage, asymptomatic patients and those with minor symptoms who did not require treatment would be transferred to government-designated quarantine facilities, which could accommodate an additional 4,000 people.

3 Likes

Updated to include implication

1 Like

And stop stockpiling food - no tins of Tuna I wanted 1 was only going to buy and walk away with one! As it’s all I need at present.

Why Why Why

3 Likes

My wife just said Kaohsiung is level 3. So they must’ve found a number of cases down here. Shit.

Because of excellence railway service in Taiwan.
Shame how good can make bad!

I agree that relaxing quarantine process has been instrumental in allowing this to happen, but it seems to me that it’s just part of a pattern of self-congratulatory smugness. The authorities have started to believe that Taiwan is untouchable.

And now here we are, with the same package of pointless shutting-the-stable-door measures that have been a miserable failure elsewhere.

9 Likes

The false negative rate of any COVID test is not small, and with the CT threshold at 35, how people swab makes a difference.

What the hell is the point of that? Surely you mean “cases in respiratory distress”?

Not just in Taiwan, but many Countries gave the Aircrew (Pilots and Flight Attendants) a much easier path than us mere passengers.

Australia went down this path, and suffered when a couple of crews (one of them staying at a Novotel hotel even!!) decided not to follow the rules (which for foreign crews allowed them to stay at their usual hotels and self isolate there until their next flight). They didnt like it when they suddenly found out that they would be staying in a couple of Government designated hotels and not allowed out. Locally based crews were allowed to isolate at home and still do - though few actually fit into that category as there are few Australian Carrier operated flights.

So with the one weekly Passenger flight by China Airlines to Sydney, they arrive Wednesday evening, and all spend 24 hours in the Quarantine Lockup before returning Thursday night - the aircraft gets parked for the night (at the Airport of course!!). They do operate each day, but the others are empty seats just Cargo, and the 2-3 pilots presumably do their 24 hours, and fly back the following night.

1 Like

Is anyone else have problems with foodpanda/uber eats? I can’t even order groceries because stores marked themselves as closed by me.

Ordered McDonald’s an hour ago, came no problem here near Xindian Station.

1 Like

Tv. They also mentioned Keelung and Taoyuan. Misery loves company.

If it is they haven’t told anyone, I’m at the gym now…

An hour for delivery. Gave the guy a generous tip. Enjoy while we can.

Guys, help me check if it is only getting ready or already in.

They had 3 kids with fever at the tests and seems they are very… tense.

CECC presser about to start.

1 Like

As I understand it, anyone who tests positive in Taiwan gets put into a Negative Pressure Room until they are deemed to have recovered. I think there are only two exits from that room, the one where you return a couple of negative tests and they let you walk out, and the other that heads off to the ICU, which in itself has only a couple of exits which are best not discussed.

Unlike may other countries where a positive test and no symptoms would result in you being sent home with a note to say rest and isolate - which many ignored of course.

4 Likes

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know if gyms are likely to give credit or refunds during this shutdown? I’m guessing they’ll just be full of excuses?