Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

I guess we will hear more on the 180 new cases when the CECC has their usual Presser. My guess is that they are mostly contacts of previous cases.

More details here:

Why? Are they still hospitalizing all positives even if asymptomatic or without any serious symptoms?

That was my understanding, yes, but I may well be wrong. That’s part of the reason I asked the question.

Not even serious? 180 cases today. We are in the exponential growth phase of a highly contagious and deadly disease.

People are going to die. I’m not OK with that.

5 Likes

Those are the big ones, weekend ones. We got this:

Our traditional market was picked clean.

My condolences to anyone caught in the supermarket rush.

Eh Kaohsiung also level 3.

Please do not forget pets/pet food.

Taiwan held for a long time. We never stocked up on covid tests nor vaccines and though most people followed best practices, it wasn’t hard to find segments of the population who refused and that’s where the spread is coming from.

As long as people don’t go insane with hoarding, we should be fine. At least the way out is fairly clear and vaccinations are already on the market.

7 Likes

That is an old article. Prime Minister Su pointed out we have currently 3000 and can increase.

3 Likes

I understand your fear and compassion, but first we need to asses the situation objectively to get out of it.

The positive screening rate in New Taipei City and Taipei City’s Wanhua District now ranges from 3 to 10 percent, he added.

I find this a bit…strange. It seems to me that if you set the criteria for testing so high that a full 3-10% of subjects test positive, you’re most likely missing a lot of other cases you didn’t test.

3 Likes

Criteria were not that high yesterday on wanhua.

2 Likes

I think the lack of rapid testing is a big problem. In the UK people/households can apparently get 7 rapid tests each day mailed out for free, and I read on Facebook that a restaurant in Germany that’s reopening will require negative tests from that day for customers to enter.

It’s a shame if Taiwan hasn’t used its borrowed time to build up a stock of tens of millions of rapid tests (and it seems that it hasn’t).

EDIT: Damn it - proved wrong by the K-man’s rigorous journalism yet again:

Double Trouble ahead? :woozy_face:

What do you consider “serious”?

4 Likes

There weren’t any lapses with the policy. We know Coronavirus clears after 2 weeks.

This was caused by lax rules given for pilots.

8 Likes

It takes about 7 days after infection before PCR tests start showing positive, and an individual may be contagious for 2-5 of those days. Testing on the same day may help but likely still insufficient to prevent spread.

1 Like

Not to mention all the people who are cleared, but might test positive a day or two after testing negative.

4 Likes

My homeless brother believed peanut butter IN his paomian was the perfect survival food. Whenever he came over though, he’d clean out my refrigerator of any fruits or veggies. That what he craved.

1 Like

Source?

1 Like

When we get closer to CDC level 4. Cannot extrapolate exponential growth from 2 data points.