Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

Thank you. That’s exactly the sort of data I’ve been wondering about - how our outbreak here compares to other countries that have mostly kept the virus at bay.

2 Likes

You started off with “I bet” but then you’re calling her a hypocrite based on… complete speculation. At least if you prefixed it with “If this is the case, she is a hypocrite” then it wouldn’t be so bad.

3 Likes

So it’s probably not fair to call her a hypocrite based off speculation. I get you’re angry but plenty of Taiwan’s leaders have taken the vaccine. It’s not Flintstones multivitamins. Once you commit to one, at the moment, you need to stay committed. She clearly wanted to put confidence on the homegrown vaccine as given our political problems in the world, our strategy was to attempt to buy as many international non chinese vaccines as possible but also be self sufficient since we don’t have international partners we can rely on.

Since we live in a country with four leaders, a President, Vice President, Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister, we have enough guinea pig leaders. If you ask me, the government took the right decision continuing with the development of home-grown vaccines once it became apparent China was meddling in Pfizer’s ability to sell us the other five million we ordered.

We already had Prime Minister Su take the vaccine, was that not enough?

11 Likes

If you’ve seen all the anti-vaxxers in public and in LINE groups, clearly it wasn’t. For better or worse, Tsai is the face of Taiwan. She should’ve gotten the vaccine in order to promote it to the public. Period. Not going to say another word about this now.

2 Likes

The news is saying today’s number is going to be higher than yesterday’s.

1 Like

So would Tsai’s acceptance of the jab made a large difference?

1 Like

I think so.

How do you figure?

Prime Minister Su’s not a lightweight politician.

Edit - 333 + 2 = 335

333 local

From Google translate:

According to the command center, the newly added 333 local cases today are 189 females and 144 males, aged between under 5 and over 90. The date of onset/collection is between May 5th today (2021). On May 16, the counties and cities of residence were 158 cases in Taipei City (89 cases in Wanhua District), 148 cases in New Taipei City (41 cases in Banqiao District), 10 cases in Taoyuan City, 6 cases in Keelung City, 5 cases in Changhua County, There were 2 cases each in Taichung City and Yilan County, and 1 case each in Hsinchu County and Miaoli County. Among them, there were 155 cases in Taipei Tea House, 86 cases related to Wanhua’s history of activities, 6 cases related to the Southern Fragrance Group, 5 cases related to a group gathering, 3 cases related to a group gathering in Yilan Recreation Center, 38 cases were found in the epidemic, and the group was unknown. 40 cases. Related epidemic investigations are ongoing. The command center pointed out that the two newly added cases of overseas immigration today are a Filipino male in his 30s and a female in his 20s who entered the Philippines and Haiti respectively. The entry dates are April 30 and May 16, both of which are valid. There is a negative test report within 3 days before the flight.

5 Likes

Mr Chen looks tired

1 Like

He always looks tired. Can’t say I blame him.

7 Likes

I’ve been wondering about this ratio from start, it is weird in other countries there are more males. Maybe it is the tea house + temple hoping effet.

We don’t know how many males vs females have gotten tested, so this number makes no sense at the moment.

So far only 190.000 vaccinated?

I’m curious as to how many were found via contact tracing, onsite testing, or other methods. Maybe I’m wrong but it feels different if most of the cases were found via contact tracing of the known cases versus rapid testing or random people coming in with symptoms.

Either way it doesn’t look great that we have cases in Taipei, New Taipei, Yilan, Keelung, Taoyuan, Changhua, Taichung, Hsinchu, Miaoli, and Kaohsiung. I’ve should’ve stayed on green island when I went there last month…

1 Like

Why don’t they mention # of tests done man? TPR is just as important, if not more than the raw count :confused:

They always wait for some reporter to ask this…

6 Likes

Seems like we only have just over 300k doses available at the moment but people are definitely more eager to get vaccinated now (194k yesterday compared to 152k 4 days ago).