Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

I’m wondering if slawa and ranlee both phoned 1999.

Where?? I’m stuck at work in taoyuan. Maybe they’ll close tomorrow… I hope lol

I’m very glad that common sense has prevailed with the suspension of all school attendance here in New Taipei. I was not at all happy that my daughter had to go to her junior high school this morning, and while I assured her that I expected school to be suspended before the end of this week, I’m relieved that it’s happened so soon. I’ll be a great deal happier having her at home with me all day.

Now I’m hoping that the government will take the bull by the horns and jump up to Level 4 with equal celerity. If we move into something close to a lockdown before it’s too late, with strict enforcement, imposition of heavy fines whenever warranted, ramping up of test and trace as high as possible, and truly serious attempts to procure more vaccines from the US, UK, EU, etc. (but not from China, thank you very much), then the outlook should be reasonably positive.

After all, to put the current surge of local infections in perspective, only about one in 50,000 of the people in Taiwan have tested positive so far, and while there are undoubtedly many more who have yet to be identified, there is no need to be unduly fearful if the government does what it needs to do to combat the spread and if we take all appropriate precautions to protect ourselves.

6 Likes

I feel fortunate to have a job in which I work from home anyway.

1 Like

Sanchong.

1 Like

That’s pretty debatable. They could have ordered a lot more, how come countries in the Middle East, in the Carribean, have got access to more vaccine shots than Taiwan so far?
They hesitated to push because of a strategy of hopium and ‘we got this’ with our future vaccines at XXXXXX date along with WAY too many borderline hysterical anti-vaxxers here.

3 Likes

If they had ordered more, would Taiwanese people have gone vaccinated themselves ? Probably not.
One week ago, many AZ were available and no one cared about.

Of course I wish we had more, but I am not sure we can blame only the government on that point.

If they had ordered more and the expiration date was due, the same people saying the government had done a bad job not ordering more vaccines would probably be complaining about the obvious waste of money in a no Covid country.

4 Likes

I think people were skeptical about AZ given the hyped up news about its side effects.

The Prez not getting the shot…big let down.

8 Likes

Not showing any leadership in that regard.

2 Likes

I bet she got it in secret now that the cases are exploding. She’s a hypocrite.

They orderes them late and didnt order enough.

Its not just the vaccines, but lack of organisation.

In UK you can get your jab in under 10 minutes. It took me one and a half hours here because of pointless queues and form filling.

1 Like

Predictions today?

There hasn’t been any rumors–unless I’ve missed it. So I don’t envision it been bad.

While rumors indicate something bad, absence of rumors doesn’t necessarily indicate the opposite. We will see, I think we will top 300.

Still my guess.

Seems like there are many stages of dealing with this.

1. No big deal - a few cases here and there
  2. Shocked and confusion - cases popping up in large clusters
  3. Blame the government for everything - realizing it’s spreading for weeks.
  4. Panic - clusters in most cities
  5. Acceptance this is the new normal for awhile
1 Like
  1. Making baseless prediction that might or might not turn correct (and chest banging if they do)
2 Likes

3 Likes

Kangchiao Xuigang campus is closed to students and teachers until end of the month, if all goes well, I’m told.

1 Like

Based on your own speculation?

1 Like

Yes. 100% my speculation.

1 Like