Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

Maybe we can get furriners classified as a high risk category. Although my advanced years already get me some way up the queue.

2 Likes

I’m in the priority list for sure too. :older_man:

1 Like

Should be. Don’t we supposedly all have AIDS from the wild monkey sex we’ve had with hundreds of partners?

2 Likes

The guy who traveled to USA during pandemic should be made to visit each one of them and apologize (after he recovered from covid).

6 Likes

Presently, 2,991 people linked to the hospital cluster are already undergoing quarantine, and it is estimated that more than 5,000 will be among the contacts listed by Chen.

However, officials have only been able to contact 578 patients who were discharged during that period. They have not been able to contact anyone living with the discharged patients or their caregivers, and the Taoyuan Police Department is inviting members of the public to assist in finding them.

:thinking:

Playing devil’s advocate: why? Even though it’s easy to argue that it’s selfish to travel during a pandemic, Taiwan made a conscious decision to allow people to leave and come back, ostensibly on the basis that it was prepared to enforce its quarantine requirements and deal with the people who inevitably came back infected.

Other countries, like Australia, have chosen a different policy.

2 Likes

I am not sure about Taiwanese law on this, but somebody said it is illegal in Taiwan to deny entry for citizens. Don’t know if it is possible to deny that right for any reason.

1 Like

In more upbeat news, the mask mandate is being enforced when breaking up orgies.

2 Likes

In Australia, citizens are not permitted to leave the country without permission. If you stop them from leaving for invalid reasons, you don’t have to deal with the issue of them coming back.

Even so, I’m skeptical that the government has no ability to deny entry for epidemic control purposes. I mean, isn’t a negative test required of all passengers before boarding a plane to Taiwan now?

1 Like

Technically it is required. They still let you in after giving a fine.

Passengers who fail to produce a negative COVID-19 nucleic acid test (NAT) report upon arrival can now pay for a test at the airport before entering the country, according to Taiwan’s coronavirus task force.

Bigger problem is if the airline will accept you as passenger without a test.

Well then it seems that the authorities have made Taiwan’s bed and all of us here will need to sleep in it.

It’s funny how people will defend a medical professional who knew she was potentially exposed to Covid and thought it was a good idea to go around town the day after she got tested for the first time, and then lets her daughter go to work at a fast food restaurant days after she started developing symptoms, but will lambast a layperson who apparently didn’t actually break any of Taiwan’s rules.

1 Like

You don’t have to break any laws to be a selfish prick.

e.g. Martin Shkreli buying and increasing price of lifesaving medicine was not illegal per se.

3 Likes

Blah blah blah so let’s get to brass tacks… any new cases today or what?

3 Likes

Again, playing devil’s advocate, do you know exactly why this man went back to the US? All we know is that he went back to be with family. For all you know, maybe he went back to be with a sick, dying relative.

It’s far easier to assume that a nurse who knew she was potentially exposed to Covid and had just been tested for it didn’t need to go to a public market the next day even though, apparently, she wasn’t ordered to quarantine.

1 Like

Probably not. Seems they’re having a hard time even tracking people down.

Many sick with covid are isolated and dying alone. Many can not visit sick dying relatives.
Why this person (and others who traveled) should have special privilege, just because there is a loophole?

2 Likes

With all due respect, who are you to make that decision for another person? You might not go. I might not go. 99% of the people here might not go. But none of us gets to make that decision for someone else.

There’s no “special privilege” involved. Taiwan is letting people leave and come back, subject to testing and quarantine requirements. The authorities have deemed that the associated risk is acceptable and can be managed. C’est la vie.

1 Like

So why are we not supposed to scrutinize his decision and call him selfish? Just because it is legal?

You take risk which involves potentially harming others. You should take responsibility.

4 Likes

No domestic case. One imported case from Mexico – a Taiwanese national returned via a medical charter flight:

4 Likes

You’re free to. Just as I’m free to scrutinize the decision of a nurse to go around town the day after she got tested for Covid knowing she was potentially exposed.

And I’m free to question your scrutiny, just as others are free to say it’s inappropriate to question the dubious decisions of some frontline medical staff here.

From the article “ 因有返台就醫需求,提出國際緊急醫療專機申請並獲同意”

Does anyone know what’s the criteria to request to come back positive? It is not like Mexico is some place without running water, electricity or hospitals. Medical treatment there is not Taiwan standard of course but it is not the end of the world either. So can anyone just say they need to be treated back in Taiwan, apply and come back positive? How does it work? If this guy was in a civil war country in the Middle East or an isolated area in a very poor country in Africa I’d say no medical treatment available, but Mexico?