Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

Most likely his life is in grave danger, otherwise the insurance company would not have approved it - an air ambulance flying across half of the globe will probably cost hundreds of thousands US$, if not more.

1. My Father is very sick due to cancer in year 2020 didnā€™t visit him due to covid then he died on 4th of July - I canā€™t take care his burial and my younger sister canā€™t visit too due to covid.
    My Mom and elder brother are also sick not related to covid, the only solution is the neighbors they help my mom.

2. Strong typhoon wipe out my momā€™s province - I canā€™t contact them many days to weeks and search on google if her house still standing - worried sick and found they are still ok.

I miss them a lot but I rather choose to stay to avoid the consequences.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s a shambolic Kman article. He says thereā€™s 9000 in home quarantine in Taipei. In Taipei? Why in Taipei?

ā€œAs fears of a major outbreak in northern Taiwan increase, some have suggested a full ban on overseas arrivalsā€. Yeah, well, ever hear of the saying shutting the door after the horse has bolted?

Also are fears increasing? The cluster isnā€™t growing (that we know of) so why would fears increase? Unless the media is feeding those fears god forbid.

5 Likes

Taiwanā€™s also letting people come. Thereā€™s a welcoming thread on here.

Now they offer influenza shots for general public, before it was only certain groups.

2 Likes

I donā€™t want that one. I want the one that lets me travel.

5 Likes

against your devilā€™s advocate, I already said above: my grandpa died of covid and I decided for the sake of humanity that I would not travel back to the US to be with my family or for his funeral BECAUSE THERE WAS A HIGH CHANCE OF ME CATCHING COVID AND BRINGING IT BACK. That doesnā€™t make me a martyr and I donā€™t want to be thanked for it. I expect people to show common sense when thereā€™s a ranging pandemic on. If you want/need to leave Taiwan to be with ailing family members or morn their death, DONā€™T COME BACK UNTIL THE PANDEMIC IS OVER.

9 Likes

But the peak of the flu season is nearly over by thenā€¦

Because he didnā€™t need to leave Taiwan, go to America and come back in the bloody month of October when an epidemic is raging there and not here.

I also wanted to go to MY homeland to see all my relatives but I didnā€™t, my folks told me stay and I also realized the risk.

Heā€™s a selfish prick that may end up killing other peopleā€¦Hundredsā€¦Thousands in the worst caseā€¦ and caused tens of thousands of people a lot of anxiety and many business owners could even go bankrupt.

7 Likes

The pandemic can force people to make incredibly difficult decisions that often pit their own interests against the interests of people around them. Some of these decisions are gut-wrenching.

Lots of people have made the decision you have when faced with similar circumstances. Is that the right decision? You could make strong arguments that it is, but I donā€™t think somebody who decides differently is necessarily wrong or immoral. While I think Iā€™d make the same decision as you, every situation is different and the people who face them deserve compassion.

Taiwan has adopted a policy under which citizens and residents are permitted to leave Taiwan and come back. And it continues to let people come in. The authorities have decided on behalf of everyone in Taiwan that the risks are acceptable and manageable.

Itā€™s kind of interesting how there are some people here who object to any criticism of the CDC, and some even give the impression they believe itā€™s damn near infallible, but then people will lash out at a person who, as far as we know, followed all of the CDCā€™s requirements when he came back to Taiwan.

Hereā€™s a thought: Taiwan hasnā€™t paused the Gold Card program and we get people currently in parts of the world where Covid is widespread coming to Forumosa seeking advice on immigrating here in the midst of the pandemic. Some of them almost certainly want to do so because living in a place where life is pretty normal is damn appealing.

Whereā€™s the outrage over these people deciding to immigrate to Taiwan? They have to abide by the same requirements as the Taiwanese man, are just as much a risk, and donā€™t have to move to a different country in the middle of a pandemic. Maybe we should start shaming people who come here to ask about getting a Gold Card and moving to Taiwan during Covid?

9 Likes

If they bring covid with themā€¦Yeah. I believe some of these gold card folks may be living in Taiwan already ?
This guy probably just went on holiday or a business trip to the USā€¦

And yeah Taiwan authorities should think about sticking covid patients in a special facility outside of regular hospitals for a start. The risk of contagion in a large hospital is ever present. With the new variants it seems even more so.

1 Like

Ha! Many countries thought it would be manageable, so they allowed people to go on holidays, vacations, party ā€¦ and now they have to deal with it.

3 Likes

Nice deflection. Read the Gold Card thread. There are people currently living all over the world, including in the US and EU, who are trying to come here.

How the heck would they know theyā€™re bringing Covid with them? Taiwan has decided that certain groups of people are free to come if they present a negative Covid test prior to flying and undergo a 14 day quarantine.

Again, Taiwan has accepted that the risks of this are acceptable and manageable. When things go wrong, how much blame should be assigned to the people who follow the rules versus the people who make them?

They say he went to be with family. None of us knows his story. But what about the guy who came back today on a chartered evacuation flight? Heā€™s a businessman.

Is he selfish? Do you personally know whether his trip was critical to his business, how many families his business feeds in Taiwan, etc.?

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been saying but like I said, thereā€™s a contingent of people here who seem to take offense to any second-guessing of the CDC.

4 Likes

They get advice on where to live, restaurants, where to meet people etc.

Yeah and there have even been debates about whether or not theyā€™re allowed to quarantine in Airbnbs when they arrive in Taiwan because the quarantine hotels are too expensive, donā€™t have kitchens, and are so small.

Anyone here one of the 5000 under quarantine in Taoyuan?

I raised the point in the thread and the OP responded that he came here because he could. Meanwhile, several posters were along the lines of ā€œWelcome to Taiwan!ā€.

Iā€™ll have a large gin with my cognitive dissonance, please.

3 Likes

Gold Card applicants canā€™t afford to stay in quarantine hotels? What a tragedy! :sob:

1 Like

Read the statement from the CECC:

On December 30, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced that it has negotiated with COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers to procure approximately 20 million doses, including 4.76 million doses through COVAX, and 10 million doses from AstraZeneca, and some doses from another vaccine maker, which is still under discussion. The vaccine doses are expected to be delivered as early as March 2021, and the vaccine cold chain system required has been planned. The CECC is also in talks with several other vaccine manufacturers whose vaccines have entered phase 3 of clinical trials.

Other news articles reported Q2 they would start vaccinating. Itā€™s obvious there is no confirmed date yet or plan to start vaccinating.

There is discussion all over the news talk shows right now. Some are even trying to deflect and say the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines arenā€™t as effective anwyay, and when you look at the source of the information itā€™s from the Global Times. China is trying to cover for news that their vaccine wasnā€™t as effective. The CCP even has a plan to prioritize Taiwanese to get vaccinated in the mainland. Another tactic to win over Taiwanese hearts and minds because they canā€™t get the vaccine in Taiwan.

A mistake is a mistake. The government should own up to it. Theyā€™ve done many things well but buying vaccines was not one of them.

2 Likes

I am one of those selfish people that traveled to Taiwan from the US to visit an ailing family member. Itā€™s important enough to me despite the logistical nightmares: repeated canceled flights, finding and booking/rebooking suitable quarantine hotel, getting a PCR test within 3 days of departure (even though it was not a requirement for me at the time), the exorbitant prices for the airfare and quarantine hotel, not to mention the risk of being infected. It also involves sacrifices: the most obvious one is nobody likes being quarantined. Still, I know how fortunate I am to be able to do it. Itā€™s a hard decision whether you travel or not. I feel sorry for the patient who gets so much hate because it could have been me.

9 Likes