Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

Yep not worth it right now. US has banned entry from many countries including UK and Ireland.
Taiwan government needs to tighten up.

1 Like

Regarding vaccines, I’m in no hurry personally and I don’t think Taiwan policy-makers should be either. Instead of rushing in, let’s learn from other countries’ outcomes and invest at the right time. Provided we can overcome the recent cluster and get back to normal pre-taoyuan conditions, this strategy plays to our strengths (given the lack of epidemic here, and our likely ability to rollout a vaccine at a rapid rate).

1 Like

I’ve never been rude. I haven’t been welcoming. I don’t know what else to say to you.

So many locals don’t even know the quarantine requirements. The girlfriend’s company insists it’s 21 days, not 14 days.

Yeah, only Tier-0 foreigners can’t structure their income to allow for a minimal if not zero tax bill. Gold card should exclude those people.

Honestly, at this point we should just completely shut borders. If you’re still out of the country a whole YEAR into this pandemic, then you’re just shit out of luck.

2 Likes

A targeted approach (ie, what they’ve done with Indonesian workers) it a much better idea. Besides, aside from the EVA pilot that was creaming his shaosan travel hasn’t really been identified as a vector for community transmission.

Shutting borders = killing air cargo
Shutting borders = expensive bailouts for airlines

Exceptions for cargo, of course. I’m just talking regular human passenger flights. They need to at least make it more difficult in terms of making them declare reasons. I don’t think anyone should be coming in or out of the country right now unless it’s to bury a close loved one (or be there to say goodbye). Businesses can arrange zoom meetings, so everything else can wait.

2 Likes

No. Taiwan has done well so far and there is no reason why it can’t defeat it again.

3 Likes

Guys closing borders on Lunar New Year ain’t happening. We went from 4000 people landing every day to 13000 this week and counting. Quarantine hotels filling up fast.

Oh and they have forbidden eating on HSR and TRA.

3 Likes

Do you have a statement or link? I’d be good to see the details.

Guy

Just saw the cover of Apple Daily. Gimme a minute…

“雙鐵擬恢復加嚴防疫!禁車上飲食、高鐵停售春節自由座 明拍板 | 蘋果新聞網 | 蘋果日報” https://tw.appledaily.com/life/20210126/VAUSTBGW2FAARB3CISABEDZ3P4/

So no food, no drink, no open seats for the holidays.

Well that’s a bummer. But don’t worry. You can still pull down your mask to drink water or have some food if you feel “unwell” and once you get to your destination, you can go to crowded markets where the mask mandate is ignored to stuff your face.

Zero new local cases. Three imported.

Very heavy controls on hospital visitations in north Taiwan.

Quarantines in the Taoyuan cluster are beginning to be completed so there’s a whole lot of retesting going on. 600 a day. So far, all negative.

11 Likes

This knucklehead made the international news.

7 Likes

Good, though the sad thing is that its probably ‘loose change’ to him, and may well be written up as a “Business Expense” for Taxation purposes.

2 Likes

Can fines be written off as tax expenses?

Depends on the Country and its Tax Rules I gather. I am sure that some get added in under “Travel Expenses”.

2 Likes

Taiwan News has posted a report about today’s three imported cases:

Guy

3 Likes

We’re gonna win! 加油臺灣!

6 Likes