Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

I thought Taiwan stopped letting in workers from the Philippines?

Indonesia, but was only for 2 weeks IIRC.

Well those dogs aren’t going to walk themselves are they now?

3 Likes

Migrant workers from Indonesia are no longer allowed to enter Taiwan; the exceptions are fishers, who still test positive quite regularly and appear in the imported cases updates.

Taiwan has no current entry restrictions on workers from the Philippines, though there were restrictions back in September 2020 if I remember this correctly.

Guy

1 Like

Taiwan News has posted a brief report on today’s imported cases—three migrant workers from the Philippines (all asymptomatic) and a Taiwanese returnee who apparently decided it was a good idea to visit relatives in South African last October. Live and learn!

Guy

1 Like

I heard SA is nice this time of the year, so I wonder why people don’t stay there.

1 Like

Probably because it’s not nice any time of the year.

4 Likes

The recent SA variant of COVID-19 is getting a lot of press. I imagine this has alarmed some folks who otherwise thought it was a good idea to travel there in the midst of a pandemic.

Guy

2 Likes

And covid cases in SA strongly increased in Dec.

Surging in summer—that should give you a hint about how rough things are in SA right now.

Guy

Cape Town is a popular Summer Holiday destination for people with money from the UK - Beach Houses and the like.

Which summer?

You’re biased. :wink:

How quickly things can go wrong…

Vietnam is preparing for as many as 30,000 new Covid-19 cases as the more infectious variant of the virus first detected in the UK spreads through the north of the country. The country’s health ministry reported nine new coronavirus cases on Friday in four northern provinces and the capital Hanoi, bringing the total number of local transmissions reported this week to 91. The outbreak has jolted Vietnam, which had reported no local infections in almost two months. The country’s efforts to contain Covid-19 have been hailed as a global success.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed for Taiwan’s continued success

4 Likes

And look at how they’ve responded.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vietnam-cases/vietnam-says-areas-worse-hit-by-latest-virus-outbreak-basically-under-control-idUSKBN29X353?il=0

They test large numbers of people and lock affected areas down aggressively and rapidly.

Early on Friday, authorities imposed a lockdown at a 27-floor apartment building in a central Hanoi district where the person who tested positive lives, state media reported. All residents in the block, home to hundreds of people, were asked to remain in their apartments.

Quite a different approach to Taiwan’s retroactive quarantine, which was a bit of a disaster.

Happy to be lucky or good, but I continue to believe that there’s no reason Taiwan can’t and shouldn’t try to be both.

3 Likes

Heads up! New rules about eating and drinking on trains (and other forms of mass transport) to take effect on February 1:

Guy

1 Like

Vietnam a communist dictature compare what is comparable. If you compare to China, Vietnam is totally inefficient, China lock down whole cities…

Just to show that trying to compare strategies between Vietnam and Taiwan is a bit weird…

1 Like

Glad Minister Chen is making the decisions around here.

Vietnam is a commie nation with no freedom. Keep Vietnam’s and China’s commie governments out of Taiwan.

I’m sorry, what? I must have missed that particular disaster…

1 Like

You missed the part where thousands of people who were potentially exposed were retroactively ordered to quarantine after they had been out and about for days following their potential exposures? Aren’t you one of the people who watches the pressers everyday? :thinking:

Lots of people who got messages about their need to quarantine, or who were confused about their status, flooded the CECC hotline, which was initially understaffed and unable to take the calls.

There were multiple news reports about this and people posting about the situation online (PTT, etc.).

2 Likes