Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

Ok, now find doctors/nurses/cleaners willing to take the bullet of social ostracism.

I understand your point of view but find it hard to sell to locals.

Thereā€™s certainly been a jump, but not 10k.

1 Like

They are doing this in other countries.

Are you suggesting that a) Taiwanā€™s medical community consists solely of scared, selfish people who arenā€™t in medicine to help others and b) are uniquely impervious to the lure of financial incentives that would compensate them for the inconvenience and risk associated with working at a dedicated Covid facility?

Buddy read up on the Hoping Hospital. Itā€™s still present of mind to Taiwanese Iā€™ve spoken to. It was a decade ago.

1 Like

2003 was more than a decade ago.

And yeah, I really donā€™t care about the fact that some Taiwanese still have a visceral emotional reaction to Hoping to the extent that their emotions would lead the authorities to shun science and established medical best practice.

Some people harbor fears based on religion, superstition, pseudoscience, etc. It doesnā€™t mean policy should be dictated by these things.

Setting up dedicated facilities for the treatment of Covid patients is something that is being done around the world, and it has been more successful than the alternative. It would have prevented what we just saw in Taoyuan, and by logic, would eliminate the risk of another Hoping situation.

Having taking several TRA trains in the past couple of weeks, I can confirm that the ban on eating/drinking on trains and platforms is pretty much not enforced. Walking throughout the train youā€™ll find lots of people eating full meals, many people snacking on platforms.

5 Likes

FIFY

1 Like

Yes, sort of and yes, there is a limit. I think political and societyā€™s opposition to the idea will make it hard to implement. I can see the headlines. And the ā€œother places do itā€ argument ainā€™t gonna fly here, as we have done things differently. Moreover, hospital administrators are unwilling to separate from their cash. Did you know the bonus hospital workers received was only 10k? For that kind of dangerous work, it is not enough, me thinks.

Though the proposal is logical, human factor makes it unpalatable.

1 Like

You donā€™t understand the nuances of Taiwanese society as well as you believe you do if you think this.

1 Like
6 Likes

As per the business wire article helpfully linked above by @quandary , Taiwan is scheduled to receive 5 million doses of the Moderna vaccine (i.e. enough to inoculate 2.5 million people) with deliveries scheduled to begin ā€œmid-2021.ā€

The Moderna vaccine (as with all COVID related vaccines) still needs to obtain approval in Taiwan.

Guy

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Hotels that accept quarantiners

No, it just means that I donā€™t care about the nuances of Taiwanese society enough to let them change my opinion about the science and logic behind the concept of treating Covid patients in facilities where theyā€™re not comingled with non-Covid patients.

Like I said, itā€™s a best practice that has been implemented by other countries and despite the issues raised here, per an article I linked to previously, some top infectious disease experts in Taiwan support doing this and the CDC says that itā€™s considering it.

1 Like

Iā€™m in a smallish town down south and there is virtually zero mask usage. Theyā€™re all old as well. Fingers crossed I havenā€™t brought them a little surprise from Taoyuan.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed this as well in the past ten days, the further south I travel the fewer masks being worn.

1 Like

Thereā€™s not much point as far as I can see. Thereā€™s no virus down thereā€¦shrugs

Mind you Kaohsiung is enforcing mask wearing quite strictly.

Are we not allowed to do this? I thought itā€™s only on the actual train that itā€™s banned.

Tainan station even has a little food shop on the platform itselfā€¦

1 Like

The punishment is already four weeks of quarantine.

Any new cases?

Thatā€™s about 10% of the population vaccinated by September/October. So hang on until next year! I guess, not vaccinated, not going anywhere, not getting on a plane.