Coronavirus - Taiwan 2021

We don’t want to wait that is the whole problem. :sunglasses:
The world is opening up this year we need to get moving again.

I know some of those companies, they are ok, but don’t expect miracles. It takes time and also some luck to get a working vaccine. Taiwan government should not be waiting for thoe vaccines on a wing and a prayer.

1 Like

But you expect your home country to go majorly out of its way to send you a vaccine by diplomatic courier even though you haven’t lived there for years?

But you expect your home country to go majorly out of its way to send you a vaccine by diplomatic courier even though you haven’t lived there for years?

Not really a too convincing argument. Most countries would also call up its citizens abroad for military service in case of a war. Most countries also give its citizens abroad the right to vote in national elections. And most countries also renew passports for its citizens abroad and provide diplomatic support. In fact, I do not know any country which does not

1 Like

Again, remember…

We are locked out of WHO and most agreements we engage in are met with resistance.

First world countries are fighting to get enough of the name brand vaccines. They need to cover their asses first because their situation is dire. The vaccine for them is the hallelujah hallelujah … Or else… Their priority is their own people.

The rest of the world has to do with Chinese or Russian vaccines.

We could have offered exchanges, gold and gems…China would still block it. No one wants to upset China. And since there is not enough yet to go around, that’s the conundrum.

Yes, but just as many would for example say that Trump did about everything wrong regarding covid apart from vaccines you can say the same in the opposite direction re Taiwan: Taiwan did about everything right concerning covid apart from vaccines. And some of this would have been unchangeable, but not all

1 Like

It’s early 2021 now.

2 Likes
  1. We are talking about Taiwan

2. The US is not the world measure in response

3. For the sake of argument, 500k dead was not a vaccine issue/doing whatever you may think right. And for the sake of argument, not a one man show/a one thing issue. Big disasters require many things failing. But again, not our situation. We have 9 dead here, need for vaccines not that massive. We can get enough for medical personnel and first line safety.

Vaccines aren’t that high a priority when there is no virus on the island and let’s be realistic no vaccine is going to magically mean you can travel where you want when you want. Nobody actually knows what the next phase of this will be. How will different countries treat travelers who have received different vaccines? No one knows. By the time Taiwan does get its vaccinations going there’ll still be all sorts of complicated discussions going on. Which vaccine lasts for how long? Which vaccines are effective against which types of virus?

Jesus, it’s going to be a mess innit?

3 Likes

That’s why they came up with vaccine ‘passports’ in some countries. Anyways, it’s like with everything else, the longer you wait the better it becomes.

Agree with pretty much all what you say. But nevertheless in a perfect world it would be nicer if Taiwan also had a bigger, earlier supply of vaccines. That is the only thing I am trying to say :grin:

1 Like

With hindsight, perhaps. When did you call for Taiwan to place advance orders for vaccines in development, and which vaccines did you suggest?

This sounds quite like the world as a whole in 2021 and going forward.

Let’s just say there are some challenges ahead…

Guy

2 Likes

Why are firefighters, coastguard teams, police, and military higher priority than care home workers and over 65s - strange.

If it’s meant to target those who are at risk of spreading, rather than those at risk of dying, then why aren’t teachers on there?

We tried to figure this out when the initial priority list was announced.

The answer seems to be that national security / public order is evidently a priority for the Tsai administration. Given the military incursions and general harassment we’ve seen lately from Beijing, I see their point.

Guy

3 Likes

It’s a bit daft because if Covid were to rip through the armed forces the troops wouldn’t be affected. Perhaps an older general or two.

Whatever one’s opinion may be of Taiwan’s military, I suspect the Tsai government would prefer not to hand this kind of propoganda opportunity to Beijing.

And just to be clear: I am not stating that I approve of this kind of priority, I am simply trying to figure out the government’s reasoning, especially given the current geopolitical circumstances.

Guy

I neither approve nor disapprove. It’s their logic that confuses me.

A U.S. aircraft carrier was severely affected by a covid outbreak last year and this was not only due to an older general or two.

And maybe the Taiwanese government is also concerned about an aggressor potentially thinking about intentionally causing such an outbreak, as likely or unlikely as this might appear

3 Likes
1 Like

What a guy:

• Embezzled $35m NTD
  • Fled to China with $3m NTD that wasn’t seized by Taiwanese authorities
  • Gets caught in ransom/kidnapping in China
  • Serves 10 years in Chinese prison
  • Comes back to Taiwan (???)
  • Literally the first thing he does is break quarantine, allegedly turning off his phone and avoiding public transit to make it harder for police to find him
3 Likes