Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Feb-Mar 2022

News from Kaohsiung; I’m not sure if this has been discussed above. Let’s hope the mayors respond sensibly.

3 Likes

Wonder if those new cases were already in isolation?

I suppose the contact tracing folks must be hustling there now. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

Dammit. Megaport starts Friday night.

1 Like

More detail in EN. Hope does not spread.

2 Likes

where did all those cases come from? no source of infection?

dont worry Chen clock will figure it out and decide which cluster it belongs to, problem solved. covid 0.

3 Likes

You are aware that they’ve been actively doing genome sequencing to determine possible paths of transmission? This also helps to figure out if (and when) new (sub)variants show up here in Taiwan.

Guy

3 Likes

Maybe they’ll find a way to ascribe them to a foreign vessel again, after first checking whether any of them have left the country in the last 4 months and can be considered an “imported case”. :whistle:

It’s interesting for comparison to follow the numbers in China, where it seems to be taking off quite well despite stricter measures. I guess they’ll break 5,000 recorded cases today, even according to official data, and over half of those the last few days have been asymptomatic (IIRC, it was at around 80-90% asymptomatic last week according to one graph I saw, which may just have been for a single city). Doesn’t really bode well for a situation like Taiwan with very limited testing and only picking up those few people feeling a bit sniffly and going to the doctor to get tested against their own personal interest.

1 Like

Covid Stats for 2022-03-24

Local = 15

Airport = 88

Quarantine = 36

Deaths = 0

New Local Cases Details

4 Likes

The only way I can see Taiwan opening up again is if it does spread, unfortunately.

zero-covid means closed borders for another year, another 2 years. Community spread means, hopefully, the government will realise it’s just a flu and open back up.

Saying that, I fear the overreaction and lockdown initially. That’s gonna suck. But Omicraon itself, nah.

4 Likes

Yikes, all noted “South.” :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

I don’t understand the theory that we’re going to somehow ease into it. Omicron either rips or it doesn’t. If it doesn’t rip then we’re at zero Covid forever.

3 Likes

Omicron is going to spread and I bet we open borders sooner rather than later.

4 Likes

Lockdown the unvaccinated. They’re the ones who are going to clog up the hospitals and morgues if/when it finally rips through.

I don’t see why I (30s, relatively healthy, three-times vaccinated) should be locked down to protect Clyde (80s, perpetual heart problems, believes Chinese misinformation spread on Line and refused the vaccine).

I’ve done my bit by getting the jab, three times. My reward should be no lockdown because I’m not going to end up clogging the hospital.

I guarantee if they announce the unvaxxed WOULD be locked down in a large community spread, they’ll all start scrambling to get the jab once they realise they can’t go to the tea room to have a crafty five-knuckle shuffle under the table.

2 Likes

We’re clearly not locked down, but eventually the inevitable has to happen.

2 Likes

I’ve also been jabbed three times. The immunity will be gradually wearing off. When does this zero Covid insanity end?

3 Likes

I doubt we will lockdown again, my feeling is that people dont really care now

2 Likes

I didn’t say we were, I meant when–which, like you say, is inevitable.

It’s going to happen at some point, and I’d liek reassurance that it will only be the unvaccinated locked down–as it should be. I don’t see why I should be punished to protect people who can’t be bothered to protect themselves.

1 Like

But the mayors and politicians will do. They’d dread not locking down and then having the bodies stack up.

I agree-most regular people don’t care. But the mayors and politicians won’t feel that way.

Mayor Ko just said yesterday that we cant lock the country forever.

1 Like

The vaccinated can also transmit the virus. Not saying that means there should be lockdowns.

3 Likes