Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Feb-Mar 2022

Which includes my wife; guess who’s on weeklong babysitting duty (this guy lol). Yes, it’s a kneejerk reaction unwarranted by the current situation.

When I said ‘not a huge deal’ I was being overly diplomatic; I shouldn’t have been. It is indeed a huge pain and totally unnecessary.

4 Likes

It makes zero sense.
Why close kindergartens but keep elementary through high-school open as well as work open as well?

Are kindergartens known hot spot vectors for the virus? No.

It is a very strange decision and puts an extreme hardship on parents.

4 Likes

the freaking hilarious part of shutting down kindy is that the schools will just not have kids in the morning, but in the afternoon they essentially turn into cram schools where kids from all schools congregate and then disperse back to their respective elementary/middle school. My friend basically won’t be working in the mornings but his school is open like this in the afternoon.

The ironic part is that the ANTI china Green Party has proven to be way more restrictive than their KMT counterpart. Which makes absolutely no sense, except for the fact elections are coming up, and I don’t see much changing until elections are done.

3 Likes

No presser today?

3 Likes

That means no big news. Good for us, bad for the local ganglords…sorry I mean “mayors”… looking for any excuse to reimpose restrictions.

Where is @yinggeaussie when you need him? :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

It’s 14 local, 29 imported today fwiw.

5 Likes

Only 1 case found in the wild! 13 were in quarantine.

6 Likes

Hot damn! If this keeps up (a big “if”) that is incredible.

Guy

5 Likes

CDC Link here. No deaths either.

6 Likes

I was out enjoying a walk in the sunshine - and passed by several restaurants that were chockers with customers even.
And no buses with white suited gendarmes were seen in the area, despite being within 1km of the Taoyuan border.

2 Likes

The one new case found in the wild seems to have had some connection to the Port in Kaohsiung. He had a runny nose and tested positive. Evidently careful, he had two doses of AZ plus a booster of Moderna.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov.tw/File/Get/ZN00f8HEqq74WAqlpgLI6g

Guy

3 Likes

I await the vision on the TV news of the white suited brigade equipped with their leaf blowing machines, spraying their stuff over the entire Port of Kaohsiung to prevent this spread of “runny nose”. They wouldn’t dare close the Port down for a “deep cleansing” would they? Imagine the impact on the Import/Export trade for Taiwan.

2 Likes

Maybe the spraying is the key to Taiwan’s success!

1 Like

Keep the spraying. Less mosquitoes, less chance of dengue and a whole lot of diseases.

I really wish we would encourage/keep the hand washing bit, too. Less conjunctivitis, stomach ailments, etc.

I’m surprised nobody has come up with an airburst device that sprays entire cities with bleach, or whatever-it-is they’re loading into their ghostbuster proton packs.

1 Like

Hand washing has gone back to 2019 levels. As in no soap was used in the washing of these hands.

Was eating at a restaurant today where the sink is outside the bathroom so I could see what people did.

Virtually no one used soap.

6 Likes

I said I hoped. Hope springs eternal. :hotsprings:

The kids got it. They will survive. Maybe, just maybe, it will become like cuing on the MRT/bus.

2 Likes

Good news, is no news. Maybe they should add a tiger with the dog, this still being the New Years holiday.

2 Likes

What if they replace the dog with a cat?