Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Jan. 2022

The infections in London where it first massively started are going back already - peak in London seems over - the rest of the country is pre peak. But comparing with England is like comparing with Italy or other countries with serious health system problems.

Denmark, Norway, Sweden, all of Africa - nothing bad happening. And even in England hospitals are less full than in previous phases.
If flu would spread at that speed - it would look the same. Flu is simply spreading slower because more people had it already. Vaccines donā€™t prefent infection - but previous infection seems to do much better - because itā€™s over in South Africa which had much higher infections before and less vaccinations.

No one with Omicron that arrived in Taiwan has needed to go to hospital yet !!! (at least that was printed yesterday). Only with lockdown this thing will turn wild. Keep things open and get through with it. Taiwan can try until they have 10-15 community spread infections - if itā€™s more give up and open up. The good thing is - I guess in 2-3 months flying to Taiwan without quarantine will be possible again (I expected so all along before coming - but I donā€™t want to arrive here in April when itā€™s getting hot already and then leave in May due to the heat).

Here is more about England and they will loosen restrictions on isolation!

You guys are engaging in wishful thinking if you believe that Taiwan will follow Norwayā€™s example and not shut down tighter than a duckā€™s ass. This is Taiwan, a conservative country in East Asia. No, weā€™re not China, which is currently locking people in their apartments in one of their Omicrummy regions right now. But weā€™re not THAT different. Even if no one is dying or getting seriously sick (or more realistically, very few are) there will still be a level of shutting down and with it, pain. East Asian countries understand the importance of protecting public health; unfortunately, they have not grasped the concept of protecting psychological health to the extent Western countries do. If Omicron seriously spreads, then businesses will be shuttered, kids will be stuck at home, those with special needs will be denied services, etc, etc. at least for a while until reality sets in that it canā€™t be contained.

3 Likes

I feel like Iā€™ve said this before in replies to you where you were being optimistic about the situationā€¦ :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I think people misunderstand my position sometimes, as Iā€™m pro-vaccine/ anti-restrictive measures which puts me at odds with both camps occasionally. Iā€™m also not afraid to change my mind or opinion about something over timeā€¦ sometimes even over the course of the same post! Itā€™s true, I have become more against restrictions since the vaccines have become widely available for everyone who wants them.

7 Likes

Lee I-chia at the Taipei Times has a helpful recap of where things currently stand in the Taoyuan omicron cluster.

Guy

Wed, Jan 05, 2022 page 1
  • Four new domestic infections reported

AIRPORT CLUSTER? The link between the cases is as yet unclear, but it seems likely they contracted the disease at work, as their family members have so far tested negative

• By Lee I-chia / Staff reporter
Summary

The Central Epidemic Command Center yesterday reported four new locally transmitted COVID-19 infections ā€” three airport workers and a disease prevention taxi driver ā€” as well as 30 new imported cases.

Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (é™³ę™‚äø­), who heads the center, said the one of the local infections, case No. 17,230, was a female worker at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, reported by the center on Monday, and the other three infections were identified during expanded testing yesterday morning.

The center at 11:30pm on Monday issued a news release announcing that a Taiwanese woman in her 40s, who worked as a janitor in the airportā€™s parking lot, began experiencing fever, chills, coughing, a runny nose and a sore throat on Sunday, and tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday.

Medical workers in hazmat suits perform COVID-19 tests for disease prevention taxi drivers at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport yesterday.

Photo: CNA

Six of the womanā€™s family members have tested negative, but classes at two schools at which her children study would be suspended for a day while expanded testing is conducted, the center said.

The womanā€™s possible contacts at work and hundreds of disease prevention taxi drivers would also be tested, it said.

The woman also worked at a stall selling childrenā€™s earrings, toys and hair accessories at Zhongzhen Market (åæ č²žåø‚å “) in Taoyuanā€™s Jhongli District (äø­å£¢) between 9am and midday on Thursday and Friday last week.

People who visited the market at those times should monitor their health until Friday next week and seek medical attention if they experience any symptoms, the center said.

Chen yesterday said that the woman had a very low cycle threshold (Ct) value of 11, indicating a high viral load, but six members of her family had tested negative.

Of 22 colleagues who took the same shuttle bus to and from work, two had tested positive ā€” cases No. 17,238 and No. 17,239, he said, adding that the two cases had Ct values of 24.6 and 24.5, while three of their family members had tested negative and another was awaiting the result.

Of the 314 disease prevention taxi drivers who have been tested since Monday evening, one ā€” case No. 17,240 ā€” tested positive with a Ct value of 28.4, Chen said, adding that more drivers would be tested.

The taxi driver developed a cough on Saturday and one family member who he lives with would also be tested, he said.

The taxi driver on Dec. 26 and Friday last week had transported inbound travelers who later tested positive, so he was recalled for a test on Wednesday last week, which came back negative, he added.

The female employee worked in the restrooms of the airportā€™s parking lot, which are mainly used by disease prevention taxi and shuttle bus drivers, while one of the two infected colleagues worked in restrooms for airport employees, Chen said, adding that the other worked in restrooms in the baggage reclaim area, to which inbound passengers have access.

The link between the four cases is as yet unclear, as well as the possible source of infection, but it seems likely that they contracted the disease at the airport, as their family members have so far tested negative, he said.

Preliminary genome sequencing results of a virus sample from case No. 17,230 showed that she contracted the Omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2, he added.

In response to the local cases, the mask mandate in Taoyuan is temporarily being tightened, with people required to wear a mask at all times when not at home except when they are eating or drinking, Chen said, adding that other exceptions, such as taking the mask off when taking a photograph, would not be allowed.

Enhanced disease prevention measures would be implemented at airports, including increasing the frequency of the disease prevention taxi driversā€™ polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests to one every three days, he said.

Airport workers would immediately undergo a PCR test if they experience any symptoms, he added.

Three temporary testing stations have been set up near Zhongzhen Market ā€” at Longgang Playground (é¾å²”å¤§ę“å “), the lawn at the North District Hakka Center (åŒ—å€å®¢å®¶ęœƒé¤Ø) and Longgang Liming Park (é¾å²”é»Žę˜Žå…¬åœ’) ā€” from 9am to midday and 2pm to 5pm until Friday for people who might have been exposed to case No. 17,230, Chen said.

As case No. 17,230 had been fully vaccinated, Chen said the centerā€™s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices would consider shortening the interval between a second dose and a booster dose of vaccine for airport employees.

In addition, the center yesterday also reported 30 new imported cases, including 22 travelers who arrived from the US.

3 Likes

#Donā€™tPanic

Thatā€™s just Minister Chen being circumspect.

Itā€™s pretty clear they think one of the quarantine taxi drivers got infected by a recent arrival, and then one of the cleaners of the washroom used by quarantine taxi drivers got itā€”and two other cleaners who shared a shuttle bus with the now infected cleaner got it . . .

Iā€™d be amazed if the family members of the cleaners (who so far have tested negative) remain uninfected as testing continues.

Guy

2 Likes

My hope is the following: China will fail even with Draconian measures. On the other hand more and more countries in Europe will decide to live with the virus and in 2-3 weeks it will be clear that Norway, Denmark, UK have passed the peak.

It will then also transpire to the panicked sheeps in Taiwan that they have to live with the virus.

Maybe the WHO could publish a look at Africa which will show that they already live with the virus without problems, and actually South America which likely had loads of unknown infections will not be in problems either.
Poor countries in Asia the same.

Let the dices roll, the inevitable has started. Itā€™s just a shame that it arrived those 2-3 weeks to early.

Are you actually here in Taiwan? Your description does not really line up with how I see people living their lives around me.

Perhaps I need to visit higher elevations, where sheep actually hang out! :rofl:

Guy

7 Likes

If those minor contacts are really how it was, it seems implausible to think the chain will have ended there.

2 Likes

I agree. One assumes, based on previous practice, that heaps of these contacts are now in isolation, awaiting more test results . . .

Guy

2 Likes

Yes in quarantine after arriving 5 days ago. And I see countless people with mask on the street below.
Plus more people panicking already (rental contract breach) and so on.
Compared to Europe people are panicking much more and not informed at all.

Norway, Sweden: the only big change is no alcohol at night and big events cancelled. No school closures, masks mainly recommend but little worn.

Switzerland stronger on mask mandates, but less than Taiwan - no outdoors masks, and bars and clubs still open.

Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Italy- panicking and in partial lockdown to varying degrees. Tides are finally changing however. Most are tired of lockdowns and more and more tired of the vaccine subscription. A 4. round wonā€™t get majority.

France seemingly more and more on the let it run through train.

Eastern Europe, largely accepted lockdowns not useful and just let it run through.

It has really changed to prior waves. Much more similar to the US which besides closing borders never panicked at the same scale as Europe.

Rest of the world except eastern Asia, defeat of lockdown dumbhead proponents. Even Australia, New Zealand or Thailand have accepted to live with Covid.

1 Like

I see you have a nice close look at our lives!

Take care and see you around after you, you know, actually join us on the ground.

Guy

7 Likes

I see countless pictures of new year without masks and so on on Instagram from Taiwan. But also panic like no before again since yesterdayā€¦

I agree. The people in the Uk seem much more like panicked sheep.

Not everyone but Iā€™ve seen enough of a change in mates /fam to make me question the stiff upper lip stereotype.

Most people in Taiwan donā€™t care. They have never really cared. They follow the rules but they arenā€™t panicked.

1 Like

I dunno, a lot of my students very much care about what may be coming. But itā€™s more in the sense of ā€œOh crap, another vacation likely ruined,ā€ ā€œWhy wonā€™t more people get vaccinated?! We want to get past this!ā€, and ā€œI love my grandma but god why wonā€™t she listen to us and get the shot?!ā€

100% of the panicky reactions Iā€™ve seen are on forumosa. But I donā€™t watch TV here either. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s tons of nonsense there.

4 Likes

50%. The other 50% is on the r/Taiwan sub-Reddit. :wink:

4 Likes

Oh yeah. I donā€™t go there very often. Sort of difficult to find interesting content between pictures of Taipei 101 from Xiangshan.

7 Likes

Over 500 taxi drivers tested in one day. Cleaners at airport going from testing every week to testing every 3 days. Minister Chen himself inspected, saw things that had to be improved on, set the experts on it.

2 Likes

There have been several reports of cases where people are denied abode. One was the case of a woman who had prepared to live in a house friends had loaned her for the second part of quarantine. The HOA/building committee was against it, wanted to refuse her entry.