Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Jan. 2022

Not for me, I wasn’t contacted at all.

They didn’t for me… Weird.

they didn’t for me either - and just told me this time I have to answer on day 21. But I will not be contacted day 15 to day 20.

Which does not mean they do not keep on tracking the phone! Someone here mentioned they do so for 28 days but I have not found any confirmation of this.
And those people found at events maybe were found via ID/passport control? It was not clear on their communication.

That’s Dexter Morgan AKA Jim Lindsay

And the show is awesome :sunglasses:

The new season was really good I thought.

1 Like

mmm yeah. That’s one possible interpretation. But @Brianjones 's anecdote isn’t exactly unique.

I’ve been teaching today with a sick coworker. Coughing and blowing her nose constantly. Three kids out with the same and another three similar to my coworker who came. What’s wrong with everyone I asked. Allergies was the answer. People have a lot of allergies here.

3 Likes

I have a co worker out with a fever…oh oh. Called him to check on what to do to cover his class, and the guy sounded very very ill.

1 Like

Pollution was awful yesterday. If it was only today, I can’t say anything. Left over congestion from the day before?

1 Like

Get an overnight (2 week) bag ready. Ha ha

1 Like

They are sick. Started last week with one and it’s been slowly doing the rounds. I don’t care. They have a cold so I see it as training for my immune system.

1 Like

funny thing is I had a slight feeling like I was about to catch a cold…woke up ok though, but my co worker is fevering.

As @nz suggested above, I strongly suspect that’s the pollution. I’ve felt that way a few times over the past week, but nothing’s materialized.

2 Likes

right could be, pollution has been quite shit the past few weeks, but doesn’t explain my co-worker having a fever.

1 Like

I mean, it’s fine right now, but China seems to be ramping up pollution production in prep for CNY and the Olympics

Well with the cold wave influx this week, I’m sure common cold has been spreading well too.

Plus there is the placebo covid 19. You know it’s out there so you don’t shrug off small symptoms you otherwise wouldn’t even notice…

I’m sure the media hype worldwide Vs the in Taiwan we don’t have covid and out mask wearing outside helps placebo played a huge part too…
Infectious diseases really depend on your feelings too. Just read up the long covid and psychological studies. It’s more often psychological than based on reality.

This is not to say this is purely psychological, for sure not. But depending on mindset there will be a huge difference.

So why not just give everyone sugar pill that says will cure long COVID?

Is it always psychological though? I know someone who hit their head (the back) ice skating (one of those “let’s spend the afternoon at the ice rink it’ll be fun” kind of adventures) and they immediately lost all sense of smell and most of their taste. Something got screwed up in the brain — the nose wasn’t physically damaged. So I posit the question: is long COVID all in your head because you’re imagining it or because COVID screwed up your neurological functions?

Well if you never tell them they had it, and instead tell them they tested negative, the chance of them having long covid is lower than if you tell someone negative he has covid from developing long covid.
The media making people afraid plays a huge part in this. In Taiwan it plays out in Taiwans favour. As long as the people believe it’s not here, it will be pretty fine. The problem is if it spreads fast and cannot be hidden, the huge fear chradet built up by Chinese language media may turn this into madness. It will take weeks of convincing the people that omicron is just a flu.

I had a cough so I started taking my allergy medication. End of cough. Thank goodness.

1 Like

Remember how we were speculating on how the Jhongli bank cluster started? Obviously the bank did some inadviseable dumb sh&t by ploughing ahead with its weiya, which led to a pile more infections among its workers. But what about the first infection? How did that happen?

One small detail in today’s Taipei Times caught my attention:

The source of the cluster at the bank is the relative of an airport employee who earlier tested positive for the disease.

The woman visited the branch on Jiansing Road in Jhongli District (中壢) on Dec. 30 and Tuesday last week, said Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center.

Surveillance footage shows that during her visit [to that fateful bank] on Tuesday last week, which lasted an hour, she took off her mask while talking on her cellphone, Chen told a news briefing in Taipei yesterday.

As three bank employees tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday, the bank cluster has 14 cases.

I see selfish sh&t like this all the time. It’s basically saying “The minimal gain I’ll make by removing my mask to have my precious phone call right now (no I cannot text; no I cannot possibly speak with my mask on) is more important than your potential health.”

I don’t know if this idiot can be fined. If so, I hope she is.

Source: Holiday travel to boost imported cases - Taipei Times

Guy

9 Likes