Coronavirus - Taiwan Developments Jan. 2022

Yeah, we’re all quivering behind out sofas pretending that when we get a suspicious cough, that can’t possibly be omicron because there’s no COVID in Taiwan :sweat_smile:

Who’s quivering?

And we have COVID in Taiwan right now.

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

Oh wow. Not even a QR-code or a validation number or anything like that? Huh. I guessed faking the test in North America would be possible but a hassle - however, now it sounds like faking the test may actually be easier than getting it!

5 Likes

Ok, further looking around the internet indicates that it can be. Dear lord almighty, why in the name of Allah does Taiwan continue to insist on painful nasal swabs when we can all spit into a vial and get the same result??!

2 Likes

Usually spit or gargle tests are PCR. Though often not rt-pcr but different kinds of PCR.

10 + 41 = 51 and no deaths.
18 of the 41 positive upon arrival at the airport, the rest in Quarantine.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Hmmn a bit higher than I was anticipating (and hoping). Hopefully, no nasty surprises amongst those cases.

3 Likes

Link to the details has now been updated.

2 Likes

The fact that there is no panic in the Press Conference suggests that todays new numbers are in line with their expectations and confined to the known clusters.

4 Likes

What do you mean, is that a feature sometimes?

2 Likes

Well, the tone of the questions, number of questions from the ‘journalists’, only 3 CDC people on the table, and 40 minutes in total (of which 30 odd were answering questions) suggests calm.

Though Minister Chen still has his cough and sinus problems it seems, someone may seize on that one day.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say “panic”, but you can definitely tell when they’re stressed. I remember when Chen teared up during the May outbreak, I was thinking :flushed: “… shit this can’t be good.”

6 Likes

I haven’t watched one yet lol. Thanks to you guys!

Yes, May was difficult for him as Vaccines were in very short supply, and having to announce that X number of elderly citizens had died (even though COVID would not have been the primary cause for most) would be hard to deliver with a straight face and emotions.

3 Likes

English news are not only behind most of the time but miss the juiciest bits. Or key details.

It’s been on Apple Daily and the usual Line chain mails.

Minister Chen did address it when he was asked about it by our sharp reporters. Man has patience beyond Job.

My landlady was adamant, says it costs 65 USD to get a fake certificate. Allegedly, of course.

As to vaccination, I remember seeing the ironical reports/posts of people in the US supposedly paying for certificates instead of taking a free vaccination. So I guess this is just an evolution of those rumors.

Edit
For your perusal

Honestly, minister Chen is a calm oasis in a storm…the reporters are like cicadas or chachalacas: so noisy!

Edit 2
Won’t put the link but Taiwan News has a note about this issue.

2 Likes

haha…the very definition of a mixed metaphor. :bowing:

The eye of the hurricane.

Why is it a problem to say something is a calm oasis in the middle of chaos? I think you’re wrong here.

EDIT: Oh, I see. You’re applauding @Icon . My mistake!